An Interview With Jeremy

El Diablo

Personally, if I were trying to seem to be less of a mouth piece for Groundspeak, then I'd definitely tread very carefully.

Are you questioning the integrity of the writers at Today's Cacher?

I certainly hope not. As I've stated before, this magazine holds it's self to the highest standards. The staff members are made up of people that have the highest integrity. They realize that what they write is read by thousands and they try very hard not to be biased.

I've never worked with a more dedicated team. They are the best! If you question their integrity you will bring out the worse in me. You can question mine if you want, but not theirs.

El Diablo

Publisher

Today's Cacher

Personally, if I were trying to seem to be less of a mouth piece for Groundspeak, then I'd definitely tread very carefully.

Are you questioning the integrity of the writers at Today's Cacher?

Not in the least.

However, rightly or wrongly, I know a lot of people feel Today's Cacher is far too pro-Groundspeak and won't read it for that reason. El Diablo already well knows this. Doing a "fluff" piece of you would set him back tremendously in the eyes of quite a few folks.

Look, there is one of two things going on here. You can tell it just by reading the magazine. Either the folks that run Today's Cacher are so pro-Groundspeak that they feel they shouldn't toss around the names of other sites, or they are afraid you would get offended, and pull your support, they feel they can't toss around the names of other sites.

I know, I know, it's been said that you don't influence them in anyway, but considering you could shut them out from the vast majority of the market and they've made it clear they want to go hard copy, they tippie-toe around mentioning other sites.

Sure, they'll do a piece on a site or two. But how much mention of other sites do you see? Even Tee's piece Loyalty versus Diversity has a glaring absence of mention of any site--and considering the subject matter that is very telling! I don't question Tee's integrity for the first sec, not one iota, not in the least. I just wonder if she felt compelled to not mention other site names.

So, that's why I said that. All of the El Diablo's critics know his is pro-Groundspeak. I don't know if he could conduct a probing interview even if you gave one. It would only add fuel to the fire.

Me, in addition to the earlier questions, I'd ask things like "if you could wipe the slate clean and start all over again, knowing what you know now, what would you do differently? What major differences would there be." Not that the whole interview would be like that, but give you the opportunity to own up to bone-headed mistakes, change decisions made in good faith but in hindsight wasn't a good idea, and implement things right off the bat that was difficult to implement later or very hard to implement now. Stuff like that.

So, do I question the integrity of the writers of Today's Cacher? Nope.

Was I cautioning their next step? Yup.

All of the El Diablo's critics know his is pro-Groundspeak. I don't know if he could conduct a probing interview even if you gave one. It would only add fuel to the fire.

First off, I admit I'm pro Groundspeak. Second, If Jeremy did grant an interview, it wouldn't be a probing interview.

Let me share some history with people that don't know the whole story. When I first started trying to put together this magazine I asked for help in the forums and soon had a lot of people that were interested. Woodsters was one of those and at that time was running his own web site and invited us to continue our conversations there. Which we did. It became painfully clear from the very beginning that the majority of those on the team at that time wanted to use the magazine to attack Geocaching.com. I refused to go that route as it didn't meet the vision of what I wanted the magazine to be. That upset a lot of people and so me and Sept1c_tank took our ball and went home and put together a team that shared our vision.

Our vision was to produce a magazine that was both entertaining and informational. It was to be a magazine for cachers every where. That includes cachers from other sites.

Now from a business stand point it only makes sense to have Geocaching.com as a sponsor. They control 99% of the market. Besides that, their a dadgum good company with good people. I forged a business relationship with them long before the magazine was even a thought, so I knew what type of people I was dealing with.

This magazine isn't control by Geocaching.com. As a matter of fact I've never even heard any kind of feedback from them as to their thoughts on the magazine. As far as I know they don't even read it. They have certainly never tried to influence it.

We have done articles on alternatives to GC, such as moving caches, one on recovering weather balloons, and we are doing one on Terracaching in the next issue, I'm sure there are others, just can't think of them right now. You'll have to go read the magazine to find out. :ph34r:

The bottom line is that 99% of our readers are members of Geocaching.com. We will cater to those members regardless of what you want to call us.

El Diablo

The bottom line is that 99% of our readers are members of Geocaching.com. We will cater to those members regardless of what you want to call us.

Eh, suit yourself.

...but I thought you were supposed to be catering to "...cachers everywhere."

I guess that means "everywhere" as long as it's on gc.com.

Sure you'll run an article or two on different sites. A magazine should be speaking to those people of other sites, too, not just about them. Until your magazine is for them, too, then you really can't live up to your tagline, can you?

[Eh, suit yourself.

As I pointed out..99% of cachers are on this site. So yes we will cater to them.

As far as the tagline "A magazine for cachers everywhere" Means around the globe, not different sites.

I will admit though it has been tough trying to get international editors and contributers...but as Jeremy would say....working on it! :ph34r:

El Diablo

[Eh, suit yourself.

As I pointed out..99% of cachers are on this site. So yes we will cater to them.

As far as the tagline "A magazine for cachers everywhere" Means around the globe, not different sites.

I will admit though it has been tough trying to get international editors and contributers...but as Jeremy would say....working on it! :ph34r:

El Diablo

Glad you're at least admitting it.

[Eh, suit yourself.

El Diablo

Glad you're at least admitting it.

Head bowed...hands in pocket and kicking dirt! :lol:

El Diablo

Sure you'll run an article or two on different sites. A magazine should be speaking to those people of other sites, too, not just about them. Until your magazine is for them, too, then you really can't live up to your tagline, can you?

I don't understand what you mean by this. I'm sure that articles written by folks who use other web sites could be published. Empty articles don't create readership.

Groundspeak has never provided any input on how Today's Cacher has been run.

If you don't think that there isn't enough material for this minority of geocachers you speak of, start a magazine. Its not like there's a monopoly of opinions online.

But I'm off topic. I provided my response. If you have any specific points to criticize Today's Cacher, open up a new thread. El Diablo is always looking for input on the magazine and ideas for new articles. If a particular message is getting lost that's your fault - not his.

Well this thread was started to get your thoughts on an interview with Jeremy. He kinda gave us one here, not what I wanted, but maybe one day I'll catch him in a mellow mood.

The thread has now turned to criticizing Today's Cacher. I agree with Jeremy, if you want to criticize the magazine either start a thread about it or contact me personally. We are open to constructive criticism and welcome it.

Thanks for reading!

El Diablo