An Interview With Jeremy

El Diablo

I would.

How he decided to devote his career to a website, how he feels about how geocaching has grown under "his watch" and just some info about the man himself.

I'd be very interested in finding out more about Groundspeak in general. How they get ideas, how they grow, do they really make money in this business, where they see things going in the sport.

I, like others, have devoted a large portion of my life and free time to geocaching because unike any other hobby I have been involved in this one fits me to a T and I truly love it.

:(

Not to sound negative, but something tells me your not going to hear much more than what you can already find in countless articles that have been in both papers, magazines and on TV. GC.com is not a publicly traded company, so don't expect to see what kind of revenues the site has made or stands to make, it is personal information, plain and simple.

What I do feel would be a good idea would be to have Jeremy featured in the very first issue of Todays Cacher that hits the presses, he definately deserves front page of the very first printed issue.

Just my two coppers!

Kar

Oh, and my vote would be no...and yes.

No, because I don't see the Today's Cacher crew asking the kinds of questions that *I* want asked.

Yes, because he plays a large role at this point in time as to how and where the direction of the game heads. Like it or not, he is the rightly self-proclaimed steward of the game because of the stranglehold on the data. That alone is worth even picking through a fluff piece.

sure, I like so see someone pick the brain of the man that started a phenomenon

skillett :(

When did Dave Ulmer change his name to Jeremy?

Skillet - Dave Ulmer is in fact the first American to hide a cache, though according to the history page others overseas had been using coordinates to do the same thing since the 1980's, and tehy started using GPS units in the 90's.

Jeremy Irish is indeed the man behind the growth of this website, as are his other Leader Frogs, such as Elias, Hydee and others.

Link to the history page I am referring to.

Edited by New England n00b
sure, I like so see someone pick the brain of the man that started a phenomenon

skillett :(

When did Dave Ulmer change his name to Jeremy?

Dave Ulmer hid the first cache. Left in his hands the sport would probably be still played among handful of Usenet visitors. Jeremy brought the sport to the masses, so it can accurately be said that he started this phenomenon.

I thought Mike Teague's webpage (the original geocaching "listing service") brought the game "to the attention of the masses." Isn't that how Jeremy discovered geocaching?

I'd also like to see interviewed the fellow who invented the word "geocache." I've forgotten his name off the top of my head, but it's here on my computer somewhere, with all of the other information and interviews from "the old days."

Edited by Bassoon Pilot
No, because I don't see the Today's Cacher crew asking the kinds of questions that *I* want asked.

Ditto.

And like someone else said, it'd probably be the same as every other piece done.

Now, if the interview was giving by someone who is less "pro-Groundspeak," then maybe.

Personally, if I were trying to seem to be less of a mouth piece for Groundspeak, then I'd definitely tread very carefully.

Not saying it shouldn't be done. I'd like to see a good interview with Jeremy. I'd like to see the same interview with each of the geocaching site's leaders. Ask some probing questions. What is their vison of the sport? Where do they see geocaching years down the road?

I just don't want one man's vision, but several of the leaders.

I'd rather see you interview someone like Jenna Jameson.

Skip the interview, just go for the photo spread...

How about an interview with on of the friendly mods/approvers to let us know what a day in their shoes is like.

Of course I would read the interview of Jeremy...

So, can we come up with a list of those questions that we think "Today's Cacher" wouldn't ask that would make the interview more interesting for all of us?

Let's not just sit and complain, let's offer some constructive suggestions. Then, if the interview does not include those questions, we can ask the interview why they chose to skip them.

1) A whole list of personal questions would be interesting, for the same reason that Barbra Walters asks them. It is interesting to see who the person is behind the public face. Day-to-day privacy in life is vitally important, but personal insights, challenges and struggles, shared with the public help put a human face on the public image.

2) What's a typical day in the life of Jeremy (or any other geocaching leader) like?

3) What's the one big misconception that he/she thinks the public has about him/her?

4) What are his/her personal aspirations for the near future? Next 10 years?

5) What is the biggest unexpected outcome from your involvement in geocaching?

6) What about geocaching makes you the most angry? Happy?

So, can we come up with a list of those questions that we think "Today's Cacher" wouldn't ask that would make the interview more interesting for all of us?

Let's not just sit and complain, let's offer some constructive suggestions. Then, if the interview does not include those questions, we can ask the interview why they chose to skip them.

1) A whole list of personal questions would be interesting, for the same reason that Barbra Walters asks them. It is interesting to see who the person is behind the public face. Day-to-day privacy in life is vitally important, but personal insights, challenges and struggles, shared with the public help put a human face on the public image.

2) What's a typical day in the life of Jeremy (or any other geocaching leader) like?

3) What's the one big misconception that he/she thinks the public has about him/her?

4) What are his/her personal aspirations for the near future? Next 10 years?

5) What is the biggest unexpected outcome from your involvement in geocaching?

6) What about geocaching makes you the most angry? Happy?

Good questions, and a good idea.

El Diablo

In May of 2004, Jeremy agreed to an interview for Today's Cacher; I sent him a list of questions; although I have prompted him several times about the interview, I have received no further communication from him.

Here are the questions he didn't answer:

1. Would you consider yourself obsessed with geocaching? In a typical day, how much time to you spend actively working on the Groundspeak website? How much of your day is computer/geek stuff; do you devote a lot of time to planning, marketing and administration?

2. Are you able to accomplish the things you strive for with your company and still maintain a semblance of a quality personal life? You have written in past forum posts that running the website has taken a toll; how has the success of your website affected your leisure time? How much time do you get to spend with your wife and family? Do you geocache in your spare time? Do you still snowboard and ride a Vespa?

3. Are you pleased with the evolution of geocaching; the multi-caches, the virtuals, the micros, travel bugs, events, etc.? Can you predict what geocaching might like be like in 4 more years?

4. What are your plans/goals/dreams for Groundspeak? Envision your company 24 months from now; what changes might geocachers expect (give me something exciting here!)? Just how fast is geocaching growing? (I’m sure it is growing at a staggering rate.) Is this rapid growth of the sport a frightening aspect for you, or challenging, or does it all just somehow feel normal?

5. There have been rumors that Groundspeak is for sale and that there are interested parties. Has the thought ever crossed your mind?

6. You have achieved a certain celebrity status as the founder and head honcho of a website that attracts hundreds of thousands of users from just about every country in the world. Do you perceive this as flattering or annoying; is it enjoyable or a hassle? Or do you just not perceive it?

7. What do you think about all the publicity geocaching is getting in the media? Of course, it is inevitable that the caching concept will continue to receive media attention. How does this affect the game? How does this affect the website? Is publicity generally a good thing for geocaching?

8. How is the Jeep promotion going? It must require a great effort on your part. Do you have any other big promotions on the burner?

9. When did you acquire your first GPSr? How did you use it before there was geocaching? Describe the chain of events that introduced you to the concept of caching. When did you first think of forming a geocaching organization?

10. If you could be anywhere right now, where would you be and what would you be doing? What would you be wearing?

11. What’s your idea of a good evening meal? Breakfast?

12. Tell me about your childhood and growing up in Virginia. How do you like the Seattle area and how does it compare to your old stomping grounds? What is your age now? Do you get back east often?

13. Where have you traveled? Did you travel in the service? Does your association with Groundspeak require that you travel? Where would you like to travel?

14. Do you enjoy camping? Water sports? I know you’re computer savvy; are you outdoor smart too? Can you start a fire in the rain? How would you deal with life threatening situations in the wilderness?

15. Are you a game person? Do you enjoy physical/mental competition?

16. What books have you enjoyed recently? Movies?

17. One wish granted: what would it be?

:(:(

Of course, this will be giving him a heads up and time to prepare. Not like when Connie Chong asks something out of the blue.

"It's a given that geocaching.com is the center of the geocaching universe, but do you see it as a commercial enterprise to be protected or an entity to eventually be all inclusive?"

"What is the outlook for a data feed for sharing non-copyrighted data like cache name, owner, coordinates, type, etc.?" "Would it be a cache owner selective option?"

In May of 2004, Jeremy agreed to an interview for Today's Cacher; I sent him a list of questions; although I have prompted him several times about the interview, I have received no further communication from him.

Here are the questions he didn't answer:

I just hate when that happens.

Of course, this will be giving him a heads up and time to prepare. Not like when Connie Chong asks something out of the blue.

"It's a given that geocaching.com is the center of the geocaching universe, but do you see it as a commercial enterprise to be protected or an entity to eventually be all inclusive?"

"What is the outlook for a data feed for sharing non-copyrighted data like cache name, owner, coordinates, type, etc.?" "Would it be a cache owner selective option?"

I don't know why he shouldn't have time to prepare. If you think people go on with Connie Chong or Barbara Walters without any idea as to the questions that are going to be asked...then I think you're mistaken.

As to the question that you asked about shared copyrighted data? I really don't feel like the large majority of our readers really care.

I'm after an interview that would introduce Jeremy the person to our readers. I also would like to discuss his accomplishments and outlook.

I have no intentions, nor would I ever permit an interview that tries to embarrass, belittle or question someones integrity. That goes for an interview with Jeremy or anyone else. If this is what you are looking for then you won't be interested in reading the article.

This magazine is about entertainment and information. Not gossip or speculation. It will always conduct it's self at the highest standards.

Publisher

Today's Cacher, LLC.

Is that what you call it now, an 'interview'?

You can't 'interview' Jenna... Where will she hold her GPSr?

Seriously, I think an interview with Jeremy would be a good thing. We should know who our leader is and what he's about.

"What is the outlook for a data feed for sharing non-copyrighted data like cache name, owner, coordinates, type, etc.?"  "Would it be a cache owner selective option?"

I don't know why he shouldn't have time to prepare. If you think people go on with Connie Chong or Barbara Walters without any idea as to the questions that are going to be asked...then I think you're mistaken.

As to the question that you asked about shared copyrighted data? I really don't feel like the large majority of our readers really care.

I'm after an interview that would introduce Jeremy the person to our readers. I also would like to discuss his accomplishments and outlook.

I have no intentions, nor would I ever permit an interview that tries to embarrass, belittle or question someones integrity. That goes for an interview with Jeremy or anyone else. If this is what you are looking for then you won't be interested in reading the article.

This magazine is about entertainment and information. Not gossip or speculation. It will always conduct it's self at the highest standards.

Publisher

Today's Cacher, LLC.

Easy, El Diablo, your slip is showing.

6. You have achieved a certain celebrity status as the founder and head honcho of a website that attracts hundreds of thousands of users from just about every country in the world. Do you perceive this as flattering or annoying; is it enjoyable or a hassle? Or do you just not perceive it?

I'll answer this one, since it helps answer the other questions as to why I don't like doing interviews.

I prefer being anonymous. I like going geocaching and running into a geocacher and having them not know who I am. I don't find it flattering so much since celebrity status is really a fake perception of a real person. I get more of a kick when I see a picture of a happy family geocaching, or a neat story about a geocacher losing weight, reconnecting with their children, etc.

As much as I would like to be behind the curtain, I grudgingly accept celebrity as one of the requirements for running a popular web site. I definitely don't enjoy it, but I do acknowledge that it is good to have some clout when talking to companies like Garmin and getting features implemented (like cache icons) and geocachers' ideas heard.

I like to hear about the stories of geocachers instead of my own personal interests or beliefs. I'm more of a less talk more action type of person than someone who likes to preach my vision to the masses. I do have a vision of geocaching and GPS in general, but I'm not quite ready to tell other people, especially the ones that have bottomless financial resources.

I definitely like my privacy. After 5 years I have occasonally given personal information away, but I don't actively discuss myself.

So, if the interview happens, it's going to be more of a vision/future/position interview and less of an "introduce Jeremy as a person" type I take it?

To be blunt, that's exactly what would get me more interested. I want to know where you see yourself taking our little hobby.

I'll answer this one, since it helps answer the other questions as to why I don't like doing interviews...

Just answer one more...pleeze! :(

10. If you could be anywhere right now, where would you be and what would you be doing? What would you be wearing?

:(

So, if the interview happens, it's going to be more of a vision/future/position interview and less of an "introduce Jeremy as a person" type I take it?

To be blunt, that's exactly what would get me more interested. I want to know where you see yourself taking our little hobby.

Inquiring minds would like to know...but apparently he isn't going to do the interview.

El Diablo

I'll answer this one, since it helps answer the other questions as to why I don't like doing interviews.

I prefer being anonymous. I like going geocaching and running into a geocacher and having them not know who I am. I don't find it flattering so much since celebrity status is really a fake perception of a real person. I get more of a kick when I see a picture of a happy family geocaching, or a neat story about a geocacher losing weight, reconnecting with their children, etc.

As much as I would like to be behind the curtain, I grudgingly accept celebrity as one of the requirements for running a popular web site. I definitely don't enjoy it, but I do acknowledge that it is good to have some clout when talking to companies like Garmin and getting features implemented (like cache icons) and geocachers' ideas heard.

I like to hear about the stories of geocachers instead of my own personal interests or beliefs. I'm more of a less talk more action type of person than someone who likes to preach my vision to the masses. I do have a vision of geocaching and GPS in general, but I'm not quite ready to tell other people, especially the ones that have bottomless financial resources.

I definitely like my privacy. After 5 years I have occasonally given personal information away, but I don't actively discuss myself.

Thanks for the interview Jeremy. I guess this thread can be closed now. And no need to re-run it in TC :(

One of my best friends was interviewed for a 20/20 special with John Stossel (sp?).

The production crew spent something like 14 days and $60,000 during two different trips. There was not only interview prep time, but training time as well so that the interviewed person looked good and presented well on camera. The aired interview was less than five minutes and my friend never had a converstation with or saw John Stossel. In fact, Stossel is apparently famous for writing the interview questions after the production crew has already finished the interviews. When you see Stossel in the same room with and interviewing a person, there are many times when it is all done with "Hollywood Magic" as in the case with my friend.

The world is not always as it appears. :laughing:

Very interesting, thanks.

I prefer being anonymous. I like going geocaching and running into a geocacher and having them not know who I am. I don't find it flattering so much since celebrity status is really a fake perception of a real person.

I can actually attest to this. When I first met Jeremy I blathered out something to the effect of "The Infamous Jeremy" and I could see the distaste and the quick attempt to shun that title. I respect that. He's a down to earth kind of guy just out to enjoy the things that make life fun.

Now, if the interview was giving by someone who is less "pro-Groundspeak," then maybe.

Fine -- I will step up. I have plenty of questions.

But I would have a very different set of questions for Jenna Jameson and I am also thinking a two day photo shoot. Jeremy is not going to get the photo shoot.

:laughing:

I'll answer this one, since it helps answer the other questions as to why I don't like doing interviews...

Just answer one more...pleeze! :anibad:

:laughing:

And we wonder why some people don't like to give interviews?

Is that what you call it now, an 'interview'?

You can't 'interview' Jenna... Where will she hold her GPSr?

Ooo...thanks for those mental images! Keeps me going for a while. :laughing:

Well, hell, Jenna must be the most beautiful woman on the planet. Even I can see that. But hey, you watch/participate in that 'interview' with her. Tell me how it went. Take pictures and sell them even.

*is trying really hard to resist an 'interview' comment about Jeremy*

I thought Mike Teague's webpage (the original geocaching "listing service") brought the game "to the attention of the masses." Isn't that how Jeremy discovered geocaching?

I'd also like to see interviewed the fellow who invented the word "geocache." I've forgotten his name off the top of my head, but it's here on my computer somewhere, with all of the other information and interviews from "the old days."

Matt Stum was the person that came up with the word "geocache." His web site is still online and frozen in time. It also includes the first 74 caches in a rudamentary lat/lon search functionality (that was revolutionary in its day).

Mike Teague's email is on his site but I don't know if it is still active. He provided a lot of great feedback during the early stages of the geocaching.com web site.

One trivia bit - The original site design for geocaching.com was modeled after an old Ansel Adams web site, which is why the pics on the front page are in black & white.