Spreading the word

cachercarry

I have only been caching for several months but I think this game is great and want to spread the word. I wonder though, I have told numerous people about Geocaching, and their responses seem to fall into three categories:

A: interested (Smallest group) "Hey what was that web address again?"

B: skeptical "you waste your weekend doing what?"

C: clueless "What's a GPS?"

I printed up a business card with a simple description of the game and included the web address in hopes that this would help.

Am I a blabbering idiot (probably) and failing to get the message across? Or does everyone else get similar responses?

L. Smith

Jackson, MS

Be verry verry quiet we're hunting caches

no, I was out caching today, and I came across a dogwalker and he asked me what I was carrying "Is that a radio?" (it's the lemon locator itself -- the basic Yello eTrex) So I told him it was a GPS unit "What's GPS?" So I explained a little about GPS and how I use it to track how much I hike, "What's one cost?", the bells and whistles that the fancier ones have, how OnStar and all those car things use it, and a little bit about some game I use it to play called Geocaching "So it's kinda like a treasure hunt?"

Yes, it is... icon_biggrin.gif

"You will kneel before her in her altar in the trees" - Tara MacLean, Let Her Feel The Rain

no, I was out caching today, and I came across a dogwalker and he asked me what I was carrying "Is that a radio?" (it's the lemon locator itself -- the basic Yello eTrex) So I told him it was a GPS unit "What's GPS?" So I explained a little about GPS and how I use it to track how much I hike, "What's one cost?", the bells and whistles that the fancier ones have, how OnStar and all those car things use it, and a little bit about some game I use it to play called Geocaching "So it's kinda like a treasure hunt?"

Yes, it is... icon_biggrin.gif

"You will kneel before her in her altar in the trees" - Tara MacLean, Let Her Feel The Rain

When I took up geocaching I told everyone at my company and they looked at me like I was speaking nonsense. No interest whatsoever.

Frankly, it doesn't bother me. It's not for everyone apparently. When I first heard of geocaching I immediately 'knew' it was for me and that I had just found something very special.

Looking back, I'm glad none of my co-workers caught the fever. Call me selfish, but I like having something that's totally non-work related which I can do on weekends. While I enjoy geocaching with others, I've found I enjoy doing them solo even more. Leaving the cell phones and pagers behind and getting lost for a few hours every weekend is good therapy. (and healthy - I've lost 20 pounds logging caches).

I'm all for spreading the word. In fact, I've probably introduced several hundred people to geocaching as a result of my editorials in my magazine. But if I get the "You do WHAT on your weekends?" reaction it doesn't really bother me. I just make it known that there's an open invitation to ANYONE to accompany me on my hunts.

Jolly R. Blackburn

http://kenzerco.com

I found that taking a skeptic with you had a lot better results. After a couple of trips the lady I took got interested enough that evenings after work she now wants to know where we will be searching for a cache next. She still hasn't quite convinced her boyfriend to buy her a GPS yet, but its only a matter of time.

Lost? Keep Going. You're making good time anyway!!

Dragging your friends & family along weather they want to go or not is the best way to 'show' people. One friend finally ran out of excuses to avoid it and found a cache with me. We ended up on the wrong side of the river and had to drive several miles to find a bridge. Having the cache go wrong got his interest and by the time we found it he was hooked. Now he's placed more and found more caches in his area than anyone else. And if memory serves...Night Stalker was not an instant convert but I dragged him along a few times and somewhere along the way he got a GPS and now has caches in more states under his belt than I will ever have.

The biggest response I get is :

"Wow, that's the most geekiest/nerdiest activity I've seen to date".

Not in those exact words, but thats the feeling I get when I describe geocaching to people. icon_smile.gif

The other common response is :

"So these caches you search for--do they hide great treasure?". After telling them the concept, they respond, "*cough* no thank you... not for me."

Shrug, I've basically given up trying to spread the word.

The biggest response I get is :

Not in those exact words, but thats the feeling I get when I describe geocaching to people. icon_smile.gif

"So these caches you search for--do they hide great treasure?". After telling them the concept, they respond, "*cough* no thank you... not for me."

quote:
Originally posted by Jolly B Good:

While I enjoy geocaching with others, I've found I enjoy doing them solo even more.

You should try the most enjoyable aspect I've found (done it twice in the past week): Try caching with someone else as addicted/insane as yourself.

I had the wonderful opportunity of caching with Genius Loci as we paddled down the Fox River in a canoe and hit two "hydrocaches", and also had the distinct pleasure of caching 10 caches in 8 hours last Thursday with Camp637. Nothing beats being insane in a group.

And it's definitely better than dragging someone who's half-hearted even on one or two caches.

Markwell

Chicago Geocaching

quote:
Minex writes: The biggest response I get is :

Not in those exact words, but thats the feeling I get when I describe geocaching to people.

Call me nerdy/geeky... I'm sitting in my living room, watching TV, using the laptop over a wireless connection into DSL... If that is the definition, then so be it!

icon_eek.gif Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son!

quote:
Minex writes: The biggest response I get is :

Not in those exact words, but thats the feeling I get when I describe geocaching to people.

Call me nerdy/geeky... I'm sitting in my living room, watching TV, using the laptop over a wireless connection into DSL... If that is the definition, then so be it!

icon_eek.gif Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son!

I'm lucky - everyone in my immediate family is as crazy about Geocaching as I am. We often argue over who gets to hold the GPS. icon_biggrin.gif

I agree that going caching with someone enthusiastic makes it a lot of fun.

In terms of spreading the word, that's really tough. It's hard to know if a particular person is going to be interested. I've talked with people I know who are real outdoor buffs and hike and camp a lot, and they have no interest, and yet, sometimes I'll tell someone who I think will be not at all interested, only to find them getting very enthusiastic. icon_confused.gif

Shannah

I'm lucky - everyone in my immediate family is as crazy about Geocaching as I am. We often argue over who gets to hold the GPS. icon_biggrin.gif

I agree that going caching with someone enthusiastic makes it a lot of fun.

In terms of spreading the word, that's really tough. It's hard to know if a particular person is going to be interested. I've talked with people I know who are real outdoor buffs and hike and camp a lot, and they have no interest, and yet, sometimes I'll tell someone who I think will be not at all interested, only to find them getting very enthusiastic. icon_confused.gif

Shannah

I thought this was great as soon as a co-worker told me about it. I love camping/hiking doing stuff outside. It was like, I get to hike and go a litle mini adventures with a GPS.

I told my wife about it and her reply was, "Why?". She said it sounded like a waste of money to buy a GPS just for geocaching. icon_frown.gif Hence the only caching I do right now is on my lunch break with a borrowed GPS. Hoping to find a cheep one on ebay but no luck yet.

I thought this was great as soon as a co-worker told me about it. I love camping/hiking doing stuff outside. It was like, I get to hike and go a litle mini adventures with a GPS.

I told my wife about it and her reply was, "Why?". She said it sounded like a waste of money to buy a GPS just for geocaching. icon_frown.gif Hence the only caching I do right now is on my lunch break with a borrowed GPS. Hoping to find a cheep one on ebay but no luck yet.

quote:

I told my wife about it and her reply was, "Why?". She said it sounded like a waste of money to buy a GPS just for geocaching. icon_frown.gif

Hmmm. Ask her to justify that 30th pair of shoes that she bought to go with that new dress. Talk about a waste of money. icon_wink.gif

My wife and I try to support each others' interests even if we don't understand them. And, for about $150 for a very adequate GPSr, this is a lot cheaper than many other hobbies.

stealyourcache.gif "Don't be so open-minded that your brains fall out." -Dru Morgan www.theheavenlyhost.com/dru

quote:

I told my wife about it and her reply was, "Why?". She said it sounded like a waste of money to buy a GPS just for geocaching. icon_frown.gif

Hmmm. Ask her to justify that 30th pair of shoes that she bought to go with that new dress. Talk about a waste of money. icon_wink.gif

My wife and I try to support each others' interests even if we don't understand them. And, for about $150 for a very adequate GPSr, this is a lot cheaper than many other hobbies.

stealyourcache.gif "Don't be so open-minded that your brains fall out." -Dru Morgan www.theheavenlyhost.com/dru

quote:
Frankly, it doesn't bother me. It's not for everyone apparently. When I first heard of geocaching I immediately 'knew' it was for me and that I had just found something very special.

I discovered Geocaching one day while surfing the internet & was hooked immediately. By the time my husband got home from work, I was in a frenzy! He could see how excited I was even though he wasn't too thrilled at first. Then he checked out the site & then set about buying me a GPS. (Megellan Sportrac Pro) By the time we did our first hunt, he was just as hooked as me!

We tell people what we do, but I don't care if they're not interested in it. The ones who are interested want to check out the GPS, go to the site, etc... If they really want in on it, we offer to take them with us. This stuff is new & will take awhile to cache on (pun intended). Meanwhile, I'm having the time of my life, enjoying soaring summer temps, searching for little treasures & signing logbooks & coming up with new ideas to hide more caches!

Life's great!!!

Where in the nursery rhyme does it say Humpty Dumpty is an egg?

When I first got into geocaching, I told a co-worker about it, and by pure chance, he was immedietly interested as well. Soon after he had a GPS too, which became the proverbial snowball. Other co-workers would overhear us excitedly talking about our latest adventures, which piqued their interest. Now, we've got at least 10 people in the company who all geocache.

One geocacher telling a non-geocacher about the sport seems to be hit and miss. They're either the type of person to see the fun instantly, or they just don't get it. But once the non-geocachers overhear a group of active geocachers discuss the topic, the intrigue is more obvious.

---------------------------------------

Friends don't let friends NOT geocache.

---------------------------------------

I told my wife about Geocaching after I learned about it on the web. She thought "ANYTHING to get Joel outside and walking" and supported me in the idea. Since my birthday was coming up, she decided to research GPS units herself and pick one up as a gift!

She went on the first cache hunts with me, a little nervous after our first two, and I wasn't sure I 'liked' GeoCaching yet - but when we visited our first multi-cache, well, it was so well done (West Side Story in San Jose area) we were both hooked.

Now, we have invited her family - and it was a dismal failure, because we visited a cache with them in Florida, and the final location was mosquito infested. I don't think we created any new "Geocachers" there.

But, with two different set of friends in the SF Bay Area, we have gone, and they both have liked it.

We are visiting my parents in Minnesota in a couple of weeks - and knowing what worked and what didn't (avoid mosquitos and ticks on someone's first adventure - make it more suburban/urban vs. rural, at least for those we know), we hope to make GeoCachers out of them!

-Joel

It's been hit or miss with me as well in peaking peoples intrest. I took a couple of friends out at lunch time to hit a cache close to work. I think they just ended up getting hot and iritated. I don't think they'll be out doing it on their own anytime soon. However my wife (the more important convert anyway) was immediately interested. She's gone out with me twice and really enjoys it. She also likes going to the dollar stores around here and helping pick out things to add to our cache goodies stockpile. I think we're even going to place our first cache together soon. One out of three aint bad I suppose when the one is your wife icon_smile.gif

It's been hit or miss with me as well in peaking peoples intrest. I took a couple of friends out at lunch time to hit a cache close to work. I think they just ended up getting hot and iritated. I don't think they'll be out doing it on their own anytime soon. However my wife (the more important convert anyway) was immediately interested. She's gone out with me twice and really enjoys it. She also likes going to the dollar stores around here and helping pick out things to add to our cache goodies stockpile. I think we're even going to place our first cache together soon. One out of three aint bad I suppose when the one is your wife icon_smile.gif

As a ham radio operator, I'm used to people thinking I've got a strange hobby.

If someone asks why you do you Geocache?, ask them "Why do people go bird watching?" or "Why do people catch and release fish?"

The British should be more keen to doing Geocaching... judging by the sport of Trainspotting.

I think the main benefit of Geocaching is it's a goal oriented hike. You get exercise, and you're learning about topography, and orientation.

If everyone carried a GPS, and a 2 way radio or cell phone, the amount of lost hikers would be drastically reduced. Especially with the numbers of trained users found here.

In ham radio, there are numerious contests where people try to contact as many different other people as possible. The underlying idea is that it provides good training for disaster communications.

I guess something similar could be said about Geocaching.

I have not been at this long but agree with the person who said they are selfish when it comes to this sport. Yes, I found out about it from another cacher but I see only problems ahead if it went "public". I would not like to see it become a hot new sport. I guess I am afraid the more are involved, the more likely the chance bad things will happen. Only time will tell!

JNC

[This message was edited by jnc1991 on August 19, 2002 at 09:46 PM.]

Well I am basically a convert being a 100% complete newbie. But, I just ordered my Garmin 60c. it'll be here in three days <_< I first learned about cacheing from a couple of the guys in my motorcycle club (The San Diego Wanderers). And it sounded like just my cup of tea. Aand after reading about it more on this board and site, i cant wait to go find my first cache!! I'm gonna take my roomate along too cause hes a bigger tech geek than i am. (didnt think that was possible)

I learned about Geocaching from a co-worker who is not a cacher! He knew I had a GPSr for about 4 years and read about geocaching someplace. I tried it and the rest is history. I never have been able to get the co-worker to go with me however. :D

The off-road club I belong to loves me to lead them on a cache hunt. We visit new places and try out new trails. Only one of them has gone out on their own and not in quite awhile. :blink:

All in all it's a great reason to get outdoors and even the wife enjoys it most of the time. <_<

I read about it a year or two ago.

Finally got a GPSr last Novwmber and have been busy since.

My wife at first reacted like I was insane (again.)

Then she and the kids spend New Years Day Caching.

They are now hooked as well.

The wife now wants to go all the time

(And I thought this would be a way to get time to myself!)

That's ok, I do like spending time with her.

A far as telling others, most think caching is unusual at best.

Of course, these are the same people who think it odd that I take a week off in the summer to got to Boy Scout Summer Camp with the boys!

I've taken 3 friend from work on a cache hunt at lunch time. All 3 went out and bought GPSr units. Only 1 caches fairly regularly. The other 2 basically wanted a new toy. Also took another friend and he wants to cache a lot. Just not willing to buy a GPS. As for discussing it with people, I tend to get a lot of "Why would you do that?" I also get "So, you find anything valuable?"

F_M

I found out about this from my wife, who found out about this from one of her internet friends. She bought the GPSr, she registered with the site, but I am the real outdoorsperson. She has been along for a few finds, but would be fine if we went once every three months. My 4 year old son has been out a lot more than she has, and when the bugs come out in the summer, forget it. So now I guess I'm Balboagirl. . .

oops! Posted it twice!

Yeah, is it just me, or is there an echo in this thread?

Anyway. you forgot lazy, as in, "HOW many miles?" I'm not suprised that people think urban caches are sort of weird - I mostly do them to get them off my nearest list. But the long hikes in the regional open-spaces are fantastic - and most newbies I know hear about this and blanch. I get a lot of "um, not today" responses.