Mysterious "treasure" Found

Jeremy

how cool was that for the little girl!!! reminds me of one summer i sneaked off to the beach early in the morning and planted "treasure" all over our usual spot. i returned to the house all agush about cops, treasure, backhoes, etc. you get the picture. well, my daughter, her friend, and my nephews dug up the beach and found treasure all day, and they talked about that for years. i remember that summer every time i take her out caching (and so does she!!) :D good times...

-denali

(p.s. "I hope that someone might contact the reporter..." message sent!)

Edited by denali7

"It's almost like the people knew there was a hunt on, but the dates are so spread out," she said. "I really don't know what to make of it. But it's kind of neat – I've never seen anything like it before."

Yeah I thinks it's kinda fun too. :D

Skillett

Edited by skillett
I hope that someone might contact the reporter and ask the reporter to forward along an explanation of geocaching to this family. Sounds like they were born to cache! It'd be most cool if they joined our fun once the mystery was explained to them.

We should get together and send them a GPSr.

El Diablo

I hope that someone might contact the reporter and ask the reporter to forward along an explanation of geocaching to this family.  Sounds like they were born to cache!  It'd be most cool if they joined our fun once the mystery was explained to them.

El Diablo

That would be kool. I would throw in some money for that.

I hope that someone might contact the reporter and ask the reporter to forward along an explanation of geocaching to this family.  Sounds like they were born to cache!  It'd be most cool if they joined our fun once the mystery was explained to them.

El Diablo

I think I'd join in on that...Anyone know how to get in contact with the girl?

It's almost like the people knew there was a hunt on, but the dates are so spread out," she said. "I really don't know what to make of it. But it's kind of neat – I've never seen anything like it before." That funny. :rolleyes:

but the dates are so spread out <-- if they ownly new :(

I think the cache didnt have www.geocaching.com on or the papers in it thats like cacheing 101

El Diablo

I've sent an email to the Managing Editor on behalf of Today's Cacher asking that he pass on our contact information. I would really love to interview her for the magazine.

El Diablo

El Diablo

Whatever happened to the lady who's sun found a cache and took it home. I recall she found him with it - signed up on the forums and asked what to do with it. A lot of people chipped in a bought here a GPS and several geocachers presented it to her and took her caching.

If I recall her name was Lysa or Lyssa?

southdeltan

I talked to the lady tonight! I found her number and just called...She was a little surprised that I heard of the story ( She is from the east coast and I'm on the west coast)... She told me that she will dry every thing out replace the container and replace the cache!!!! She said she wanted to do it so the "chain" wasn't broken... I really think we should get them a GPS…even if it is a second hand one. Let me get in touch with the place I got mine from maybe they could help us out.

or if anyone has one they could donate that would work too.

If you guys would like I could get in touch with her again and ask her if she would like a GPS... she doesn't even have an email account :( she uses her son’s

If you guys would like I could get in touch with her again and ask her if she would like a GPS... she doesn't even have an email account she uses her son’s

I'd chip in. Perhaps we should make sure she wants one and also has at least some access to a computer.

If not, use my money to get her daughter some Dora the Explorer or hiking stuff.

Good job it was Canada. In the US there would have been a stern warning from the local sheriff about how she could have got blown up by a terrorist device. And in the UK the box would have been taken away because after all that time out of doors, it probably had bacteria on it

:(:(:D

I'll wait a little bit to see if I hear from the

great people where I got my gps from to see if they can help us out, then I'll call her back

c2c2c

edited because my "Speeeling was awefulll"

Edited by coast2coast2coast

Ok it’s a go!!! :laughing: I talked to the Lady on the phone and she said " I would love to get into Geocaching" She has access to the Internet. I told her the reason we would like to help her out is because of the fact that she took care of the cache and her honesty should be rewarded. She also mentioned that getting her little girl Dora stuff was a great Idea.

Sooooooooo Where do we go from here?

I still have not heard from the place That I got my GPS/ GPSr as to whether they could help out or not.

coast2coast2coast,

Groundspeak will spring for the GPSr. Hydee will be contacting you shortly.

Jeremy and geocaching.com just went to 10+ on my cool meter. not only is he showing great generosity but fostering good international relations as well! The man needs to be in the news for this one! I would do it myself but don't know who to contact.

skilllett :laughing:

Edited by skillett

We could arrange a local to demo how we have to depend on a GPSr (unlike her) to find caches.

I would also like to thank Groundspeak for donating the GPSr. And everyone else that offered.

coast2coast2coast: Thanx for all you've done so far. Hearing from someone on the other coast about the find must have just added a little more to their experience. If only I found Geocaching this way! :laughing:

I just posted the follow-up news story regarding the "Treasure" as a note off of the GCK3ZG cache page. It includes a scanned copy of the followup newspaper article. When trying to view the scanned doc, make sure you expand it, or else you won't be able to read it

What a great thing geocaching.com is doing for her. It's a great way to show how generous the geocaching community really can be. The new GPS is quite a find in the cache...she wasn't even FTF!!! [:laughing:]

Enjoy the article!

Tim

(aka: The Geek of The Hurricane Geeks)