Garmin Handling Comparison

Papa Bill

Haven't been geocaching long, but I am already looking at my next unit.

I have been looking at the eTrex Vista C, the GPSMAP 76S, the GPSMAP 60CS.

Prices aside, if you have one, what features do you like or dislike on one compared to the other?

I have gotten used to the buttons and whistles on my Legend and like the convenience of using it one handed.

Are the 76S and 60CS harder to use in this fashion, or is it just a matter of getting used to the difference?

I've used a Vista and a GPS V buttons and click stick. The stick was handy for a few things and buttons for a few things. Overall I like the buttons.

Size matters and I like smaller over larger except when it comes to screens. Funny thing the gross dimensions of the 60 vs 76 are close, but the 76 just has a bigger feel to it.

Of those I'd have to see the VistaC get better reception than the original vista to consider it. My gut would lean me towards the 60CS becasue of percieved size though I don't care about the compass so I'd save a few bucs and go with a 60C if I were to chose today.

However for what it's worth I'm holding out for the GPS VIcs.

I've had my Vista C for about a month and a half now, and I'm very pleased with it. It's worked out great in all the applications I've used it for - GCing, hiking trails (Yosemite), and driving. I use the Metro Guide and TOPO software, and have been pleased with both. I have had no reception problems, with the exception of heavy tree cover in Yosemite. Easy to operate and I like the small size. Display size hasn't bothered me, and I wouldn't want to carry anything much bigger.

I have been looking at the eTrex Vista C, the GPSMAP 76S, the GPSMAP 60CS.

Prices aside, if you have one, what features do you like or dislike on one compared to the other?

I have gotten used to the buttons and whistles on my Legend and like the convenience of using it one handed.

Are the 76S and 60CS harder to use in this fashion, or is it just a matter of getting used to the difference?

If anything, I would say that the 76 series is slightly EASIER to use one-handed than the 60 series. It allows you to take a more complete, secure grip on the unit. Covering the screen with your hand has never been a problem with my G45, III, III+ or 76C. IMO, it's a more comfortable position to have the buttons on top. I admit that it looks like it would be bad, but it in fact, works very well.

BTW, I would be looking at the 76C/CS rather than the S. The colour models have a fantastic colour screen and a recent USD$50 Garmin rebate has made them LESS than an 60-series (at least that was the case where I bought mine). They don't feel as compact as the 60's but they do have twice the memory and will float. But the 60 sure looks a lot nicer! If I wasn't so paranoid about not having enough memory, I would've gotten the 60 for its appearance.

The 60/76's have the advantage of being able to use an inexpensive external antenna and support NMEA output because they have serial ports. They also have at least twice the memory.

I think they also have a larger scrn than the Vista C.

Out of your three choices, I would get the 60CS.

GeoBC

Edited by geobc

I've owned a Garmin 12CX for just over 5 years now. I can tell the buttons above the screen are fantastic. The unit feels very secure and I haven't really noticed my thumb covering the screen while pressing the buttons. Maybe those that complain about that have weird shaped hands? :D

On 12/29, I ordered a 76CS, but I didn't like the size of the unit. I went to REI in order to handle the 60CS. The 60CS feels much less secure pressing the buttons with my thumb. This is due to the entire unit hanging off the end of my hand. I noticed that if I extended my index finger length wise underneath, the unit felt much more secure in my hand.

Needless to say, I sent back the 76CS and the 60CS will arrive tomorrow. Yes, I know I will have less than half the memory, but I'm sure I can make do.

I just sold my Vista after buying a 76cs. My observations:

The 76cs is quite a bit larger (like a Texas Instruments graphic calculator). I do miss the super-portability of the Vista, but I don't miss the tiny, hard-to-press buttons and the infernal click stick. I always found it twitchy and would wind up opening menus I didn't want.

The buttons are well placed on the 76cs; it can be used one-handed without covering the screen. Your thumb has no trouble hitting the buttons.

Menus on the 76cs are easier to navigate since you have a "quit" key (like "escape"). I set up the screen order in the same sequence as my Vista and it was very easy to get familiar with using it.

Autorouting - I didn't know what I was missing. So much easier than squinting at the map display on the Vista. The 76 has a big text block and beeps and squawks to get your attention.

Reception - The quad antenna does work better (tested on the same trails); faster aquisition and better lock.

Finally, USB. When I loaded all the topo maps for my province into the Vista it took over an hour. The same thing took about 2 minutes on the 76cs. Plus I have enough memory to load many more maps. I liked the shape of the 76 better than the 60...you should try before you buy. :D

I haven't been caching for long either, but I have used both the eTrex Legend and Rino 110 at the same time. I really can't say about the higher end units that you are looking for, but between the two of them, heres some finner points that I noticed. It might help you know what features you should check on.

+ I love the screen on the Legend. Although I think it is physically the area as the Rino it has ~50% higher resolution. I would go for the higher res screen.

- Patch antenna Good Reception in the Car. Not so good reception in the woods.

+ Helix Antenna Good Reception in the Woods. Not so good in the Car.

+ 2 batteries. I like to use rechargables, and the Rino uses an odd three batteries. (they don't make a 3 battery charger, and mixing batteries at different charge levels, is not recommended)

+ If I am using the Routing function while driving I like the speaker on the Rino to tell me that a turn is coming up. Although just a simple beep (compaired to some speech models), I find I don't have to keep looking away from the road as much.

- I though 8 MB was a lot when I had the Garmin Canada mapSource 3.02, and I could put all of BC in there. I recently bought Canada version 4.0. These maps are HUGE, and can only hold ~100 mile radius of a major metropolitan area.

I kept the Rino because I thought the Radio is neat, and I Since I know other people with the rino, we can sent our location to each other. Otherwise I would have kept the Legend. It's a great little unit. I will soon upgrade to the rino 120 or 130.

Kenji

On the topic of size, the 76 actually packs and carries quite easily. It's a slim, rectangular shape so it is easy to stow in a variety of locations, from my jacket pocket to the top flap pocket of my backpack. Although my III+ was smaller, it's unusual shape made it much more cumbersome to carry when Geocaching, especially when I wanted it to keep tracking while I was walking. For vehicle use, the III+ was superior but I've found that the 76's rubber "bumper" strip allows me to stand it on my car's cash and lean it against the windshield. It actually stays in place surprisingly well. Even the III+ wasn't perfect in this respect because I usually had to tilt it more towards me to set the screen at the best viewing angle.

In short, I think it's boring, utilitarian shape is actually quite versatile.

GeoBC

+ 2 batteries.  I like to use rechargables, and the Rino uses an odd three batteries.  (they don't make a 3 battery charger, and mixing batteries at different charge levels, is not recommended)

Excellent point. My Motorola FRS radios are 3-AAA units and I find that very aggravating.

+ If I am using the Routing function while driving I like the speaker on the Rino to tell me that a turn is coming up.  Although just a simple beep (compaired to some speech models), I find I don't have to keep looking away from the road as much.

Do any of the autorouting models NOT use any audible alarms or voice commands? Just curious. I agree that the beep indicators are good enough for autorouting.

- I though 8 MB was a lot when I had the Garmin Canada mapSource 3.02, and I could put all of BC in there.  I recently bought Canada version 4.0.  These maps are HUGE, and can only hold ~100 mile radius of a major metropolitan area.

Heh, I know where you're comin' from! My III+ had 1.44MB of memory! That was enough for the Western and Eastern parts of the Lower Mainland (approx from Horseshoe Bay over to Chilliwack) and that was just Roads and Rec data! No autorouting at all. Actually, that's rather impressive when you think about it.

But with the 76, I've got CitySelect 6 (ie: street level, autorouting detail) for ALL of BC, WA and OR, plus Topo maps of the Lower Mainland and I think some Canada Enhanced Basemaps as well.

GeoBC

Goto some place were you can hold the different ones in your hands. Pick the USB one that feels best. With USB loading new maps is fast and the different memory size won't matter that much. My 60CS holds a lot of area. And I have a friend with a Vista with 24MB and is happy with it.

I agree with jeepnti. You have more of the 76cs gps to grasp when you hold it in one hand and work the buttons with your thumb and the screen is never covered by your hand. I would be afraid too much gps would hang out trying to operate a gps with the buttons on the bottom but that is just my opinion. I love my 76S and my 78CS but I bought the CS so with my age and my poor eyesight the color display is much easier to see.

+ 2 batteries.  I like to use rechargables, and the Rino uses an odd three batteries.  (they don't make a 3 battery charger, and mixing batteries at different charge levels, is not recommended)

While I too dislike the 3 batteries on my Rino 130 there is a cheap solution for charging, and you are absolutely correct that they should be charged to teh same level (either charge two together and 1 seperate, or charge all three together.) Here's a link to the battery holder you need from Digikey that'll mate to a common 9v snap connector from Radioshack that will allow you to charge 3 together and keep them matched up.

http://www.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dk...w=44213&Site=US

Hopefully they ship to Canada and you have access to Rinkydinkshack as well...

Cheers,

Get a charger that has independent charging circuits for each battery such as the Maha 401 (MH-C401FS). You can charge the three batteries together in it.