Geocaching And The Job Interview

fly46

WOO HOO!  AttaBoy, Fly!

that would be "AttaGirl"! :laughing:

Ooops, please excuse! :anibad:

<clears throat> AttaGirl, Fly!

BTW, I lived less than a mile from your Miss Nora cache. I could find the location with my eyes closed. Actually went to Church there for about a year.

Auntie Weasel, I knew there was something about you I like. I made the trip from Lebanon to Smithville too many times (job related) in the 80's!

Good luck on the job, hope it works out for you.  One of these days I may have to go into  one of those stores.  The only one I know of around here is one I won't go into because it's in a shopping center I won't go into as a matter of principle (yeah, I know, it's childish, but they ruined a really good amusement park).

and that would be the particular one in question.

You are right they ruined a perfectly good park to build it. Sweet deal for Gaylord though, the lease on the property is for more each year than the park was supposed to make, if nothing went wrong. I do miss it though.

In all the years I visited here before I moved down, I never once went to the park. I'm sorry they demolished it to put the mall in, too, but from what I heard they were losing money with the park, so they closed it. Mills malls are a chain of theme malls. I don't know if they were in the plans when the mall went down or not.

Let me give you a tip regarding your statement. It sounds like your are a bit biased.

Perhaps I should rephrase it for you. :ph34r: I looked to see if the product that the store I wanted to work at used the items I was familliar with and used myself. I do not use a Magellan, so selling one wouldn't exactly be right. How can you tell a customer why they should shell out hundreds of dollars if you don't use that particular product?

Interestingly enough, until I checked what BPS sold, I had never even SEEN a Cobra GPSr.

It is what is called "Sales" when you work in sales your job is to sell not just what you use, but everything that the store owns. It takes time to learn how to sell and how to increase the size of a sale with add ons. Before you show a customer a GPS you have to determine their needs, ask them lot of questions. Aks them what they want to use the GPS for.

Suppose you spend lots of time showing them a Legan C because it is small and easy to carry then find out they want something larger to use in the car while travelling, the legend would not be the best choice,and you have spent lots of time showing something they do not want, next lets say the only large GPS the store has is a magellan road mate, you better to able to sell the Road Mate, if you cannot, all your employer is going to see is a large sale not being made, and that is all your employer cares about.

Beian able to sell everthing in a store is job security. I have seen people lose jobs because they cannot or refused sell everthing in a store.

This reminds of a time not to long ago after I retired when a freind if mine wanted a GPS so he had me go with him to an REI, the REI persoin kept showing him Garmin stuff but not any of the Magellan stuff. So I asked him to show the sport trak map, He takes it out and tells us Magellan Products are not very good. So I ask him how offten he has used a GPS, his only experiance was a 1 hour seminar by the Garmin rep. So I should him some of the featrures of the Magellan sport trak, I should him what a topo map looked like on the screen with the one I hed in my pocket, I showed him the terreian projections the GPS will display, I showed him that the Magellan Topo maps include street names (All the street names) He said he had no idea the Magellan had those features. I told hi he should learn the products he is suppose to be selling. Then he did not know that there was a $30.00 rebate offered form Magellan.

WOO HOO!  AttaBoy, Fly!

that would be "AttaGirl"! <_<

Ooops, please excuse! <_<

<clears throat> AttaGirl, Fly!

BTW, I lived less than a mile from your Miss Nora cache. I could find the location with my eyes closed. Actually went to Church there for about a year.

Auntie Weasel, I knew there was something about you I like. I made the trip from Lebanon to Smithville too many times (job related) in the 80's!

Less than a mile from there? I'd KILL MYSELF if I had to live out there.

Hell, my directions to there are follow the road for five miles more than you think you've gone to far (or at least two or three past where you think you're lost).

And if you lived out there, chances are you knew who Miss Nora was. I've yet to meet a person from that area who doesn't know her or her sister.

No worries on the Atta... You'd be amazed at how many people still think I'm a guy. *checks* Nope.. Definately not a guy.

And Johnny, I've been doing sales since my father opened a business when I was 9. The last thing I need is somebody that I don't know trying to tell me how to do a job I can do in my sleep. Selling a product has quite a bit to do with being familliar with it. You wouldn't sell somebody something and say "I don't know how to use it" or "I'm boycotting this company" and then follow it up with a $200 price tag.

You posted this-

And Johnny, I've been doing sales since my father opened a business when I was 9.  The last thing I need is somebody that I don't know trying to tell me how to do a job I can do in my sleep.  Selling a product has quite a bit to do with being familliar with it.  You wouldn't sell somebody something and say "I don't know how to use it" or "I'm boycotting this company" and then follow it up with a $200 price tag.
That statement makes no sense at all

Yes but then you did post this which leaves a non proffesional impressio

Perhaps I should rephrase it for you.  I looked to see if the product that the store I wanted to work at used the items I was familliar with and used myself. I do not use a Magellan, so selling one wouldn't exactly be right. How can you tell a customer why they should shell out hundreds of dollars if you don't use that particular product?

So if someone tells you they want to look at a Magellan GPS you are not going to show it to them. Or lets say they are looking at a Garmin and ask to see a Magellan and want to know the differences in them

What will you tell them?

Do you think that someone that works in a jewelry store owns every peice of jewelry that the store sells

Do you think that someone who sells cars at a dealership owns one of each car or even owns a car made by the company.

Do you think that someone that works in Bass pro shops or REI or any other outdoors gear shop owns or has used everthing they sell.

Do you think someone who works in a ski shop/show board shop has used every ski and boared in that shop.

Well they do not. It would not be practicle. Did you tell the job interviewer that you will only sell what you own?

As far as taking advice from someone you do not know, in sales there are lots of times you are going to have to take advice from people you do not know. Your first few weeks at BASS Pro you are going to taking advice from lots of people you do not not, some of them may even sign your pay check. BTW the managment will be asking other staff that heve been around for a while for feedback on how you are doing.

My self I have over 30 years experiance and have only tried to offer some insight as to what I have seen in those 30 years, sure you are free to ignore it. But if you stay in sales for any period you are going to see some of if not all things I have mentioned are true.

BTW-Your are not working for family anymore, it is not the same. I alsoworked in a family bussiness for a few years when I got started, it is not the same.

Edited by JohnnyVegas
Perhaps I should rephrase it for you.  I looked to see if the product that the store I wanted to work at used the items I was familliar with and used myself. I do not use a Magellan, so selling one wouldn't exactly be right. How can you tell a customer why they should shell out hundreds of dollars if you don't use that particular product?

You do not have to use a product on a regular basis to be able to sell it.

I suggest what you do is find someone in the store that uses any product that you are not familiar with and have them teach you, Tell your manager that your would like some hepl learning how to use anything you have not used, some stores offer gear for staff to try out.

Edited by JohnnyVegas

I suggest what you do is find someone in the store that uses any product that you are not familiar with and have them teach you, Tell your manager that your would like some hepl learning how to use anything you have not used, some stores offer gear for staff to try out.

Why don't you stop trying to be an instigator for trouble for a while, and let her ENJOY HER GOOD NEWS as she was trying to do to begin with.

Not every topic has to be an argument, no matter how much you enjoy it.

Why don't you stop trying to be an instigator for trouble for a while, and let her ENJOY HER GOOD NEWS as she was trying to do to begin with.

Not every topic has to be an argument, no matter how much you enjoy it.

Like I said in my first post if you go back to read it, I am not trying to start a flame war or anythng else, My intention was only to offer some advice and point out mistakes that I have seen other people make, I hope fly does well on the new job.

This is same advice I have given to employees that I have worked with in the past.

In 30+ years I have never been let go from a job.

Good luck Fly! Sound like a deam job (all of the ones I've seen have aquariums... :o )

(I hear you carleen, I almost starved when I worked in a bookstore...)

Congrats flygirl. Sounds like you will be very happy working there.

Now for a quick OT editorial-since I have worked with food for all of my adult career-starving is one problem I have never had. :wub::wub:

Congrats on your job, I love BPS. I've been to one in Charlotte and Harrisburg, PA. The Myrtle Beach one hadn't opened yet. They are truly unique stores. And Fly, I like your avatar.

Now which BPS will you be at? In case, I travel to your area....

:laughing::sad::o

Promise me you'll go to the store and buy a $1 bag of gummy worms and enjoy for me!!! :sad:

Hmm... Though here's a post for Cobra -> Your GPS Units suck. Email me if you want some constructive comments on how to make a better unit, but fire your product manager first.

:laughing:

:o:D:P:D My first good laugh in ::scratches head, then forgets subject entirely:: quite a while!

Just another reason to love Jeremy :sad: Ok, you caught me brown-nosing an admin! :sad:

I don't own a cobra, but a friend of mine (who is *not yet* involved in geocaching) got one for Christmas... I've gotta agree with Jeremy on this one(and I've only used one for ~5 minutes... just long enough for me to get really mad at it!)

Happy Caching

Jeff

Did an interview that went over my transportation background and then the interviewer noticed that on my resume under hobbies I had put..."I'm the Publisher of Today's Cacher"

Now they want to know why a publisher is looking for a job? Because it dosen't pay anything. Their question...will it? My answer.. Well I hope so. Their answer...O.k...thank you for coming in.

You people have ruined me! :D

El Diablo

You might want to try listing your work with Todays Cacher under a section in your resume as "volunteer". That way no one gets confused about the fact you don't get paid and shows that you are willing to help with a project.

I've done this with mine because I occassional teach Geocaching classes for a local Parks & Recreation dept. It creates a topic of conversation not related to the job interview and I don't have to explain why I don't get paid.

Wow! And I bet they have an employee discount! It could be hard to be a cacher working in a store that sells sooooo many things useful for caching! Spend the paychecks on outdoors stuff or life necessities? Sooo hard to decide!  :laughing:

Blimey if there isn't a lot of truth in that statement!

One of my non-career jobs back in '96 was as a camera salesman at Central Camera Co. in downtown Chicago. I was at the peak of my photography phase. I tell you what, I nearly starved. I was in heaven and hell at the same time.

Be careful! Make up a budget for yourself before you get the job, hehehe.

Yep, that is why I have never in my life worked for a bookstore. I would be doomed!!!!! :rolleyes:

Same here, Carleen! And congrats on the new job, fly!

Edited by Pipanella