Not Real Geocachers?

briansnat

None of you are Real Geocachers.

Real Geocachers is a revolutionary exercise program which will enhance and integrate your breathing, movement and structural alignment. Easy enough for the fitness beginner, and challenging enough for the most advanced athlete... Real Geocachers is a gradual process of fortifying your health and chiseling your body.

Real Geocachers:

• gives you healthy muscle tone and power
  • decreases your waistline
  • increases confidence in your coordination
  • increases your flexibility
  • gives you suppleness
  • magnifies your energy levels
  • increases your ability to perform daily physical tasks
  • increases your relaxation
  • gives you the ability to be calm under pressure

(note: this is a parody of some random exercise site.)

So really, none of you are Real Geocachers. Might as well fess up to it now, or join up at the low low price of $49.99 per session.

NOTE: Nothing within these materials intends to constitute an explanation of the use of any product or the carrying out of any procedure or process introduced by or within any material.  This site and its officers and employees accept no responsibility for any liability injuries or damages arising out of any person's attempt to rely upon any information contained herein.

Huh?

Is that double speak for "we're trying to bull**** you, so don't sue us?"

EDIT: Dumb mistake

Edited by CoyoteRed

briansat, the one thing you're forgetting is that logged finds are based on the honor system. I could go all over geocaching.com and write in logs, but it doesn't mean I was actually there.

I don't really care one way or the other, I'm just saying that if someone really wants to pretend that numbers are important, it is easy enough to fake.

It is kind of like in the motorcycle world when squids will sand the 'chicken strips' off the edges of their tires so that when people look at them to get some idea how far they lean over, they will think that person has some real skill.

Take me for instance: I've only got three finds and zero hides so far. But as I look for more caches to find, I tend to skim over the suburban micros and hold out for the ones I think will be better. I work full time and go to school part time, and the precious few hours that I have for myself and my hobby are going to be going after quality geocaches.

Maybe I will have a different view when I've exhausted all the local decent ones.

Wow, it's snowing like mad here in Chicago. I'm thinking about giving up some geocaching time to go snowboarding, then again, this would be the perfect time to hide that cache I've got ready...

briansat, the one thing you're forgetting is that logged finds are based on the honor system. I could go all over geocaching.com and write in logs, but it doesn't mean I was actually there.

I understand what you're saying (by the way I'm back from a pretty interesting maint trip), but the big "cheaters" in this sport are pretty well known and I don't see any of their names among the top posters. In fact I can't think of a single forum regular who is a noted cheater.

Just to set the record straight...

CR used to post under this account. I believe less that 50 of the post count showing belong to me. This plus his post count as CR puts him as number 18. Sorry umc...

Oh no, sorry, it doesn't work that way.

Besides, if it did, my umc account plus my briansnat account would put me out of reach for a long time. I was just counting my umc account in my prior post. :D

You know, basically anyone that has ever went on the web site, plugged in the coordinates in their GPSr and then went and found the cache is a cacher. Plain and simple. It doesn't matter if they did it once or 5,000 times.

Like I said this sport/game/hobby doesn't require that you be able to do brain surgery.

El Diablo

I've read a few times here and in some local geocaching forums that the regular forums posters aren't "real geocachers". That we're all talk and no cachin' and really aren't qualified to comment on the subject because we're always here instead of hunting caches.

I check the profiles of the top 25 (in numbers) of posters and came up with the following:

One didn't even know he was in the top 25 posters until he checked. :(

And I thought I might be in the top 25, but wasn't even close. :mad:

I've always said that I would have more finds than posts, although lately I've been closing the gap some... :rolleyes:

--Marky

NOTE: Nothing within these materials intends to constitute an explanation of the use of any product or the carrying out of any procedure or process introduced by or within any material.  This site and its officers and employees accept no responsibility for any liability injuries or damages arising out of any person's attempt to rely upon any information contained herein.

Huh?

Is that double speak for "we're trying to bull**** you, so don't suit us?"

Hmmmm, if Jeremy will give me a guarantee and not include that legal junk CR found (and poorly written legal junk BTW... yeah I teach legal writing), I might fork over $49.99 to be a "real" geocacher! :(

Huh?

Is that double speak for "we're trying to bull**** you, so don't suit us?"

Hmmmm, if Jeremy will give me a guarantee and not include that legal junk CR found (and poorly written legal junk BTW... yeah I teach legal writing), I might fork over $49.99 to be a "real" geocacher! :(

How come I can't see my dumb errors until someone quotes me? :mad:

:(

:rolleyes:

I've read a few times here and in some local geocaching forums that the regular forums posters aren't "real geocachers". That we're all talk and no cachin' and really aren't qualified to comment on the subject because we're always here instead of hunting caches.

I check the profiles of the top 25 (in numbers) of posters and came up with the following:

The top 25 posters average 386 logged finds each.

12 of the top 25 posters have over 300 finds.

24 of the top 25 have over 100 finds.

7 have over 500 finds and 2 have over 1,000.

They average 28 hides each.

3 have over 100 hides

9 have over 20 hides with another 2 sitting at 19.

15 have 10 or more hides

Judging from this I'd say its a myth that us forum folk aren't really geocachers and as a whole the regulars here have a pretty good amount of experience. Now excuse me, but I have to head out on a cache maintenance run.

and hay! all they gotta do is go look at your (our?) profiles to see our caches

but wait! whatchu mean 150 caches ain't enough to qualify you for a 'regular' poster?

How many caches is required to make one experienced enought to either answer someones questions or to post an opinion?

---

3 have over 100 hides

15 have 10 or more hides

Judging from this I'd say its a myth that us forum folk aren't really geocachers and as a whole the regulars here have a pretty good amount of experience.  Now excuse me, but I have to head out on a cache maintenance run.

but wait! whatchu mean 150 caches ain't enough to qualify you for a 'regular' poster?

How many caches is required to make one experienced enought to either answer someones questions or to post an opinion?

---

Did you read Brian's post?

3 have over 100 hides

15 have 10 or more hides

Judging from this I'd say its a myth that us forum folk aren't really geocachers and as a whole the regulars here have a pretty good amount of experience.  Now excuse me, but I have to head out on a cache maintenance run.

---

One.

El Diablo

3 have over 100 hides

15 have 10 or more hides

---

One.

El Diablo

And I'll spot you the one.

There have been caches I found on summer vacation that I never did log.

Not that it would add a lot to my found count, but who really cares.

I appreciate the viewpoint, but consider this:

I am fairly new to geocaching, and I just recently placed my first 'cache. I spent quite a bit of time and energy putting together what I consider to be an enjoyable experience for others. Part of what I get out of it is reading the online-logs of the finds. I look forward to checking my email daily in the hope that there is a new find on my 'cache.

If you enjoyed finding a geocache, please have the courtesy to log the find, so that the owner can also share in the fun.

I love Geocaching and I have been at it a year. I only have 30, but I also have two young boys, a husband, and my mother-in-law who needs me almost 24 hours a day because she is 65 and elderly. I want to go everyday out Geocaching...but I can't so I try to make days where I can get away and do what I love to do. For anyone who wants to judge who is a real geocacher, you need to know how people live their lives before speaking! I am 25 and do much more and take care of more than any one else I know....I am lucky to find 1 a month with what I consider three full time jobs.

And to who started this topic...I am proud of my uncle who has over 500 finds (MORE THAN YOU)....Shop99er....

Also my dad at over 150...Semper Questio.

When I grow-up (someday) I hope to be a geocacher. Until then I'm just a short, fat, bald guy ... no wait thats George Costanza. Until then, I'm just computer geek riding a Vespa ... no wait thats Jeremy. Okay, until I grow-up I'm just another Indian brave looking for that elusive film cannister hidden in a rock field. :(

I don't have a large number of find (36) nor placed (4)

But I only started in June. But also, I prefer to my "placed" or owned

to be special. Ones that mean something. You know, quality instead of quantity.

I don't like the idea of throwing tupperware out of the car window as you go by,

I don't call that placing a cache !

Yes, I'm the guy who carved Runes on stones and placed them in the woods..hahahaah (Thorolfur's Treasure)

Rick

Well, This could be interesting. Maybe......

I have planty of finds, but no hides. Does that make me not a "real geocacher". i think not. I may have no hides, but I want to place some quality hides, the type I like to find. That takes work and time, which I sometimes find in short supply.

Now, I consider myself a true 'cacher, because I get out to find, I have a desire to hide, I post, I learn, and I enjoy the sport/game/pastime/hoby. As far as I'm conserned, If you can say "yes" to at least three of the above "requirements", you too are a "real geocacher".

I just recently started hitting the forum. Not only because of the nasty weather we've been having, but also for a daily chuckle. The forums can be hilarious and I appreciate the laughs.

It's also interesting to see the opinions of things in here. Ya know it's like momma always told me "opinions are like a-holes.....they're everywhere."

I've only been "active" in GCing for about 2 weeks now. But I've been lurking off and on for over a year now.

As of this posting I only have 11 finds, 3 hides in the works, and 40 some odd post, but I know I'm a "Real Geocacher".

I'm like the others in that the hides I place, I want them to be quality hides.

Not lame Cache & Dash with no rhyme or reason for placing them other than placing to be placing.

Of the 3 that I have in the works, one is a micro that is going to be placed in a public park that has a beautiful overlooking view of one of the 3 rivers that are in our area.

Another is a themed cache that is to be placed specifically with children in mind to bring smiles to their faces

The other is one that is really lame, in that it is going to be so easy to find it's rediculous. "BUT" there is going to be challenge to it and a game involved (but it's not a puzzle cache :mad: ) All in the name of fun and resisting the temptation attached to the challenge evoked to the cache. "Will You or Won't You?"

I sit and watch TV and see stuff that would be great hides, places to hide caches and I've even got my daughter hooked!

Just last Friday we were watching the old movie "To Kill A Mockingbird" with Gregory Peck.

If your not familiar (YOU NEED TO WATCH THIS GREAT CLASSIC!!) , one of the characters(Boo Radley) hides small items for the children to find in a knot in a tree in his front yard.

My daughter turned to me and says, "That'd be a cool place for a Micro!!"

:(:(

As far as numbers, the only one that is important to me is 24.

That's the number of hours in a day that I want to keep breathing!! :rolleyes:

D-man ;)

Edited by gridlox

Why does find count not matter? A lot depends on your area saturation. I have only 100 caches within a 50 mile radius of my home. That's 50 air miles. Some of those at the 40 mile radius takes 1.5 hrs driving time to get to. Some of those at the 50 mile radius takes 2 hrs driving. That's not round trip driving time, just getting to. To get more than the 100 caches takes a day of planning. So getting to 100 finds in my area takes some doing, driving and burning gas. I've cached in some areas where I could walk to nearly 20 caches on just one stop.

BTW, I have over 600 finds.

When ever I get a reply from someone that I have a question about I check their profile. So times I am suprised that this person has 1000 finds but other times I am amused that some one with 6 finds and no hides talks so forthrightly about a question I have. Once resently I ask a quetion about multis and some noob replied he did most multies, all 5 of them with a map, some computer research and good guessing. I guess he hasn't done one of my multies, what you seee on the screen is the easy poart. No I ahve respect for all poster as we all have freedom of speech, just some are funnier then others.

cheers

And I thought I might be in the top 25, but wasn't even close.  :sad:

I've always said that I would have more finds than posts, although lately I've been closing the gap some...  :sad:

--Marky

I'll side with Marky on this issue. I like to keep my find count ahead of my post count. I'm sooooo glad the OP post don't really count. :D

I do like the numbers-I just can't figure out how to quantify FUN! :laughing:

But the bottom line is: it isn't really about the quantity :o or the quality :P -it's all about the sanity! :D

have the courtesy to log the find

Don't tell me what to do, or how to play this game.

Well I'm not here to tell you how to play the game or what you can post.

I just wanted to say thanks for writing a log for my cache.

Everyone who has found even a few geocaches is a geocacher

I usually don't look at how many posts someone has when I read their posts here. But sometimes I will look at the # of caches they have found and even read their logs for some, to try to get a sense of what experience they have relating to what they are posting about.

have the courtesy to log the find

Don't tell me what to do, or how to play this game.

Well I'm not here to tell you how to play the game or what you can post.

I just wanted to say thanks for writing a log for my cache.

Everyone who has found even a few geocaches is a geocacher

I usually don't look at how many posts someone has when I read their posts here. But sometimes I will look at the # of caches they have found and even read their logs for some, to try to get a sense of what experience they have relating to what they are posting about.

Hey looking forward to hiking with you again. Criminal is looking at Jupiter for this spring.

It feels like spring right now. :sad:

3 have over 100 hides

15 have 10 or more hides

---

One.

El Diablo

And I'll spot you the one.

thanks !!! <GRIN!!>