Palm M130 Pda

As a PDA, the M130 is very good. 8Mb or ram, colour screen, available refurbished with 6 month guarantee from luzerntech.com for £50.

As far as paperless caching goes, I'm not sure how much ram you need, but the M130 does take SD cards, so 128Mb should cost you around £20.

There's an excellent guide to paperless caching at MarkAndLynn 's website http://uk.geocities.com/markdavis@btinternet.com/index.htm

Edited by NickPick
As far as paperless caching goes, I'm not sure how much ram you need,

I currently have our nearest 500 caches with 5 logs each in cachemate. The program and data together are currently occupying 1.3MB of my Tungsten C's 51MB. If the unit is only really used for caching, then 8MB should be more than enough.

One note: I used to keep a country's worth of caches in the unit, but it turns out that updates can be hard to manage, so now I just grab a pocket query of our 'local' caches once a week, and then another one if we're going somewhere special.

I find the 'updating' of caches isn't so great, so whenever I receive a pocket query, I clear out all the caches and reload them from the query. Having written a little web application and having a WiFi PDA, this is an absolute doddle with a couple of taps on the screen.

I think my point was... you probably don't need a memory card for this level of usage.

Hope this helps,

Stu

Hi there. I have a Palm M130. I have just started up the paperless caching route, so I am by no means an expert yet.

I have downloaded, installed now registered Cache Mate. I found this very easy to install, very easy to load the caches onto it and very easy to use. The information is perfectly visible on the palm's screen. Having some logs available to read too is very nice. I am about to try out paperless caching for the first time this weekend. I may even download some JPG screen shots of the maps I require.

I have already put 500 caches on my Palm, but if sapce was an issue (not yet!) you can use an SD card. If you also download GSAK you can (apparently, I have not done this yet) filter the caches and produce a set to export directly to your Palm, but cachemate also comes with a GPX to the cachemate format (who's name eludes me!) that you can run on the PC, so you can do you filtering with your pocket queries beforehand instead if you prefer. Not everybody needs every single cache in the UK to hand all the time, LOL. Won't stop me trying, of course!!

They may not be as flashy as an IPac, but for the price, you will not be too paranoid to take the thing out into the field with you, and if you drop it in the mud, it's not such a tragedy. I picked mine up on Ebay (brand new) with all sorts of extras about a year ago for about £70, so £50 sounds about right for now.

I've been running CacheMate on the internal 8MB of memory of my m130. It's a great all purpose tool for keeping track of the caches you've bookmarked for the day and for the various notes you need if you or family members trade at a cache. I don't think that it's the best at reading some of the "math" related puzzles on puzzle caches or multicaches, and will not display jpegs for puzzle caches.....so I have a 16mb card that I also use for keeping html files readable through Plucker. You can use GPXSpinner or Plucker (my fav.) to create the html files.

A word of caution about the m130..... I've personally found it very fragile as it has a plastic casing. Mine has developed case fractures around the infrared port, all the way down to the memory card port and the corner where the stylus clips into the Palm. It's probably my own "misuse", but if given the choice, I'd try to go with something a little sturdier. However, it still works with a small bead of Crazy Glue along the fractures....and, hey, if the price is right...

I have a good neoprene case for my M130, which has been pretty good at protecting it so far. By the way DocMagoo, would you like a replacement facia? Mine came with several and I am not sure I will ever use them, so you can have one FOC if you would like.

I also got a "Glove" neoprene case for it, but didn't seem to stop the cracks. Thanks for the offer of the facia (do you mean face plate?). I don't think it would fix the backside of the PDA. :(

ON TOPIC: good luck with paperless caching. Once you go there, you'll never go back. I love the fact that I've got 500+ cache pages at my fingertips.

Not sure if anyone is interested, but I have just wrestled with a Palm Connect and a Palm M105 to resurrect my paperless caching. Broke old PC with seriel port, now have laptop with USB, hence the downtime :(

If anyone wants to know.... just say :(

Thanks,

AandS

There's an excellent guide to paperless caching at MarkAndLynn 's website http://uk.geocities.com/markdavis@btinternet.com/index.htm

I have been trying in vain to download this for the last couple of days.

I only have a 56k dial up connection, so if all of you friendly people were to suddenly send it to me all at once, it might take the rest of my life to download. So probably best if I first ask the question ......

Has anyone got a copy of this ? :laughing:

Thanks

I only have a 56k dial up connection, so if all of you friendly people were to suddenly send it to me all at once, it might take the rest of my life to download. So probably best if I first ask the question ......

Has anyone got a copy of this ? :laughing:

Thanks

email sent (not file)

edited to clarify

Edited by John & Hazel

Hi all

Just bought a palm m130 from ebay £30 + p&p £6. Need some info now about software to put on ie Cachemate etc any recomendations, also were can i get a cable to plug me etrex yellow into the palm. Any other info would be great. And does any one have a copy of fugawi midlands going cheap or info on were to get one

Cheers

Bountyhunter1 :o

I have been trying in vain to download this for the last couple of days.

Has anyone got a copy of this ? :o

Thanks

Thats our guide!!!.

EMail me at markdotdavisatculinadotcodotuk and i can send you a printed version.