Idea For Additional Voluntary Rating.

CoyoteRed

I've had an idea rolling around in my head for a while about the notion of telling people what equipment they need on a hunt. If you need something special it's courteous to mention it so folks can be prepared. I know a lot of folks prepare for many eventualities, but enough don't to warrant mentioning it on the cache page.

The problem come in when the items mentioned gives away a bit of the mystery. If you mention rope, then folks might be on the lookout for a climb either down an embankment or up a tree. If you mention wire then they will be looking for small places like pipes where they have to fashion a hook to retrieve the cache.

So, instead of giving away the information and still having the hunter somewhat prepared for the hunt, I've a notion of "Cache Class" to describe a hunt based on the equipment needed.

This is not something I think every cache will need, nor is it a substitute for difficulty or terrain rating, or the attributes. It's merely a mechanism for alerting hunters of the possible need for equipment. The idea is to mention on the cache page something to the effect, "This is a Class C cache" with a link somewhere detailing this stuff.

Of course, you could still just mention the gear that is needed and worry about--I'm not trying to eliminate that. This is just for those who want to keep it a bit of a mystery.

I've got a preliminary list going, but of course I've not run across a huge range of cache requiring additional equipment. Here goes:

Cache Class

Cache Class is a degree of dificulty as it relates to the additional equipment you need for the hunt in order to find and/or retrieve the cache, sign the log, or complete the hunt.  Doesn't really relate to the actual difficulty or terrain.  It's assumed if you are carrying a piece of gear, then you know how to use it.

Some gear will be assumed like a pack to carry the gear and associated gear that goes along with anything listed.  First aid kits, gloves, spare clothing, etc. is not "required" items, but "good idea" items varying by the amount of time you expect to be away from your car or from home.

Each class includes the items in each class below it.

It's automatically assumed that a cacher has a GPS, maps, or wayfinding methods.  This is Class E, the lowest class.  Nothing else is needed.

Class D:

Pen or other writing instrument. (Nearly all micros will be a Class D or above.  I would have left this out except for the shocking number of people who "forget" their pen.)

Compass

Ability to take notes

Multitool or knife and needlenose pliers.

Strong small flashlight.  (Maglite or similar to look into hollow logs, etc.)

Class C:

Calculator or other ability to do basic math with large numbers.

Mirror (on a stick).  (To look into hollow logs, etc.)

Probe, collapsable stick (radio antenna), hiking stick, or similar device to poke in holes.

Stiff wire like a coat hanger. (The idea here is to be able to fashion retrieval tools in the field.)

Rubber bands.

100' string.

Class B:  (Notice how a cache can be a 5/5, but still only a Class B cache.)

Canoe or kayak.

60' rope.

Ability to stay on hunt for more than 4 hours up to all day.

General handtools: hammer, screw drivers, wrenches, allen wrenches, pipe wrench.

Class A:

SCUBA

Climbing harness and gear, (rope) ladder, or similar devices.

Boat suitable for open water; large lake or ocean.

Extreme terrain vehicle; highly modified 4x4, dualsport motorbike, or ATV for a distance of greater than 15 miles.

Helicopter or other air transport.

Ability to stay one or more nights in the wild.

Highly specialized gear which means purpose-built tools or gear, or something other than normal handtools.

As you can see, the equipment for a Class C cache can fit into a relatively small pouch. Together with a cellphone, PDA, spare batteries, and a power bar you should be all set for a lot of caches. Grab your pouch, a drink, and off you go.

Class B equipment can fit in a backpack with a bunch of other essentails for the trail or you can load in/on your vehicle for a weekend of caching.

Class A would be the only one were you'd have/want to mention what you need or caution that additional preparation is required. Class A is pretty much for 5 star terrain, but should include equipment for was be required for a 5 star difficulty that you would need in the field, as well.

So, can you think of any more gear that should be included? Do you think the five classes should be changed around? Divide Class B into two or more?

Edited by CoyoteRed

I see where your coming from and I guess, for some, it would be useful. It does look like you have been thinking about this for awhile and I'm sure some computer person would be willing to come up with something similar to the "selector" that is used now. Heck, maybe that person would be willing to work with you on it. I just hope it dosn't become a requirement for cache submission because I frankly wouldn't use it. Here is my feelings why:

I consider myself a traditional cacher. Some say I'm a dinosaur...but I still like to do things the "old" way. For me, and the gang I enjoy caching with, geocaching is still all about the search...not in the find. We love using maps and compass to navigate to and from places, figuring out the best approach or an alternative way back. We relish in the comraderie of the long hike, discovering hazards, figuring out how to avoid them and using our wits and common sense to overcome difficulties. We keep learning from both our good and bad experiences, then are better prepared the next time. A smily face to us is a reminder of what a good time we had and not so much a meaningful statistic. The less information we have the better, and the more info I see the less I desire to find the cache. If you really do need a climbing harness, boat, helicopter, etc...to find a cache, it's been my experience to always see it stated on the cache page. That sort of information is appreciated and it actually raises the adventure/Mystery level for us. Most other cache attributes we like to figure out on our own by just improvising and adapting.

I realize that most cachers aren't like me, so considering the ever-changing landscape of geocaching, you may be onto something! For me, I would much rather see a cache finders rating system developed before we develop more ways to expose cache attributes. That way, those of us who don't think every cache is a good cache can more easily play the game the way we like to.

Good Luck!

Salvelinus

I think that would take some of the fun out of it. Having to make a couple of trips just adds to the challenge. We don't want to make it too easy, extra equipment would just add a star to the difficulty. I always carry tools, rope, towels, a good probeing stick, etc.

Edited by fishingfools

I think I've made it sound more complicated than what I envision.

First, there is no need for any kind of programing, this is a simple list you can link to from your cache page if desired..

Second, I see this as fitting between not telling the hunter what they need for the hunt and detailing what they need. It's essentially saying, "if you have everything on the list up to this point, you have everything you need to complete this cache."

I don't think it really needs to be part of the programming of the site. It can easily be put in the cache description whenever you think it warrants it.

Personally, before I walk out the door to go caching, I've got a Leatherman on my hip and a mirror compass in my pocket. Sissy has notebook, pens, PDA (calculator), a most of the time a flashlight in her caching bag (a small camera case.) Basically, we're ready for a Class D at all times and partially for a Class C. No one has to tell us to "bring a pen" or "bring a pair of tweezers," but you will still see that because some folks will get miffed if you don't alert them.

Further, folks are amazed at what we carry in the van. Except for a canoe, we're ready for just about anything. We don't rock climb or SCUBA so those things are out, but there's little else we're not prepared for.

I consider myself a traditional cacher. Some say I'm a dinosaur...but I still like to do things the "old" way. For me, and the gang I enjoy caching with, geocaching is still all about the search...not in the find.

I have to agree that I also appreciate the old way of coordinates-only geocaching, though the complexity of today's caches make it difficult to do with exception of the traditional caches. Even those could take more than 1 trip to solve (which personally I think that can be even more intriguing).

My take on creating Classes that have some kind of lookup table is that it tends to overcomplicate something that can currently be done in an existing feature, like descriptions. Creating classes makes just one more thing a geocacher has to look up in order to figure out what you're talking about. Is Class A the hard one or Class D? Heck I forget which is worse: a 1st degree or 3rd degree burn. But I know if someone says you'll burn yourself I can pretty much stay clear.

You indicated that an attribute would not help but I disagree. A "tools required" attribute would at least clue in a geocacher that there is more to the cache than a hike-in.

The more caches exist the more specialized the finders can be since they can be picky. I'm all for creating mechanisms to filter and inform, but we have to temper it with some compassion for the folks who don't want a degree in geocaching studies.