Questions from the site log page.

A note might be appropriate when you bring a frind geocaching and want to say you were there. Or to note that you dropped off a travel bug, or whatever might come up that isn't a find.

The Archive This caache is for caches that need to be archived. Doesn't happen often but every now and then an ownwer doesn't maintain the cache and the cache may have been taken. For example a 1/1 cache with 10 skunks logged. Probably needs archived. Normally you would email the owner first.

I had someone post a note on one of my caches letting me know the area was torn up so they didn't bother to look. They were rather annoyed.

Wherever you go there you are.

Just to fill in a little, a posting a note will not affect your caches-found number. It's mostly (but not not exclusively) used by cache-owners to add a bit of timely information to the logs.

The Should-be-archived log acts as a non-find, indicates that there may be a problem with the cache, and (in the poster,s opinion) it should be taken off-line. It does NOT archive the cache, though. Only the cache-owner and the geocache.com Big Dogs can do that. However, posting a SBA log does automatically send a notification to said Big Dogs (as I understand it).

3608_1400.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Higgins' Expeditionary Force:

Does assigning coordinates assign them to the site you are logging, as you found them on your own GPS?

The coordinates you enter when you log a find are only recorded in your log. I wouldn't use this feature unless there was a considerable difference between the data sets. It does not affect the coordinates given by the cache owner. By the way, If you intend to place a cache and wish to give parking coordinates, it may be preferable to give the parking coordinates in the cache definition and the actual cache location in the text of the cache description.

I once thought I had erred, but I was mistaken.

[This message was edited by Trudy & The Beast on February 01, 2003 at 08:31 AM.]

quote:
Originally posted by Trudy & The Beast:

By the way, If you intend to place a cache and wish to give parking coordinates, it may be preferable to give the parking coordinates in the cache definition and the actual cache location in the text of the cache description.

If I understand correctly, I disagree. I think you should use the location field for the actual location of the cache (or first leg in the case of multicaches).

Unfortuantly, some people load waypoints into their gps without reading the cache description, or they dont bring the cache descriptions with them. In both caches the people will just be able to get a parking location or trail head. This can be both confusing and annoying...

waypoint_link.gif22008_1700.gif37_gp_logo88x31.jpg

I agree with Welch. I always want to download the actual cache coordinates, and I may or may not want the parking coordinates. Since the coords in the cache definition are what gets downloaded, those need to be the actual cache location.

Not that you're doing this for me specifically, of course. icon_smile.gif

quote:
Originally posted by El Oso:

I agree with Welch. I _always_ want to download the actual cache coordinates, and I may or may not want the parking coordinates. Since the coords in the cache definition are what gets downloaded, those need to be the actual cache location.

El Oso and Welch make a very good argument... they are right. I have been inputting WPs mannually and hadn't considered the other side of the issue. I am sorry if this has caused any problems.. tb

I once thought I had erred, but I was mistaken.

The listed coordinates are for where you want the cacher to start. In other words, the first place the cacher has to find. This could be the parking coordinates if you've provided, say, a fill-in-the-blank type of puzzle to solve to get the final coordinates. It could be the first leg of an offset or multi where they have to find clues to continue. Or, it could be a traditional cache with coords directly to the cache.

CR

72057_2000.gif

quote:
The listed coordinates are for where you want the cacher to start.

Only in the case of multis and offset caches. For traditonal caches, the coordinates are the where you want the person to finish.

A government that is big enough to give you all you want is big enough to take it all away. -Barry Goldwater