Regular Free Week

I vote we do it Feb 1st thru the 7th.

El Diablo

That works for me. It would be voluntary. Lurking is fine. :huh: It's the posting part.

So for those in, no posting Feb 1 - 7 inclusive. Last November I was gone most of the month, the forums got along fine without me. They will survive fine that week. Heck it will be intersting to see if a new kind of angst developes or if peace and harmony becomes the order of the day.

I seriously think Jeremy should ban the members over 100 posts for that week. Make sure its announced and all but I bet in no way in heck that THE REGS can not post for a whole week. It will not be possible for them, and you want to put money on it go ahead but I get to stay and post whatever topics I want!!!

Wont work without a banning in fun... Please get the dates straight though, so I can be sure to make up some good posts to post 2 minutes after midnight.........

Okay I'm done posting for awhile to make sure I stay under the count!!!!

I vote we do it Feb 1st thru the 7th.

El Diablo

That works for me. It would be voluntary. Lurking is fine. :huh: It's the posting part.

So for those in, no posting Feb 1 - 7 inclusive. Last November I was gone most of the month, the forums got along fine without me. They will survive fine that week. Heck it will be intersting to see if a new kind of angst developes or if peace and harmony becomes the order of the day.

Count me in on that. I'll not post for that week... Probably will not lurk either.

I seriously think Jeremy should ban the members over 100 posts for that week. Make sure its announced and all but I bet in no way in heck that THE REGS can not post for a whole week. It will not be possible for them, and you want to put money on it go ahead but I get to stay and post whatever topics I want!!!

Wont work without a banning in fun... Please get the dates straight though, so I can be sure to make up some good posts to post 2 minutes after midnight.........

banning paying members who have not violated any forums rules is bad.

I'm game.

To make it more interesting, the first regular to post gets scourn reaped upon him (or her) for all of eternity or people forget, which ever comes first.

Scorn? Cool! I'll make Scornbread and have Scorn flakes and maybe some nice scorn muffins.

I can handle scorn. I'm married wih two teen-aged kids. Y'all can boycott the forums ... I'll handle the workload you leave behind. Don't know how intelligently I'll answer the questions but I'll try to be entertaining.

Y'all just go away... I'll be good. Real good. Hee-hee-hee.

Oh I dunno. I might get some work done, which would be good. That's certainly not bad... or even badong.

Admitting already that it cant be done?

And banning for something like this for fun is not a big deal. You may be a paying customer but most of what this is about has nothing to do with paying customers. The forums are a public forum. I think we just want to see who actually could survive a week without posting. For some this is life and with some of these posters posts its getting proven at there every post.

Its just a game, its just a forum, its no different then saying hey lets see if you can go a week without t.v. but instead of just turning it off you have the cable company disconnect ya.

Come on what is a week of your life? And its all in fun........... Would be nice to see actually where these posts go and what gets posted to tempt THE REGS into posting LOL.......

If you ask me it would be a awesome april fools joke by Jeremy to do that for just one day to some of you.. I think some might go off the deep handle............

...So for those in, no posting Feb 1 - 7 inclusive.  Last November I was gone most of the month, the forums got along fine without me.  They will survive fine that week.  Heck it will be intersting to see if a new kind of angst developes or if peace and harmony becomes the order of the day.

So, since I haven't read this particular thread,

I don't have to play by your rules. Right? :huh::huh:

Eh, I would take a voluntary ban for whatever length of time to help RK prove his point. I still have texasgeocaching.com and terracaching.com and many others to occupy my time.

BRING IT ON, Frog boy. :D:huh::P:huh:

our talking about some of these reg's having to commit suicide for this to happen

I don't think I'd commit suicide, but I'd be pretty bored at work. I'm working nights now and its the only thing I have to do.

Just think, you had nothing to do before you got that job, but at least now you're getting paid for it! :P

On topic, if I count as a regular, I'd be willing to try it, but who's going to answer all the questions if we're gone?? :huh:

edit: 3.31 ppd. :huh::D

Edited by robert
On topic, if I count as a regular, I'd be willing to try it, but who's going to answer all the questions if we're gone??  :P

edit: 3.31 ppd.  :huh:  :D

All questions will be "stored' unanswered until the end of the period, at which time the regulars will be invited to respond.

This will operate as a competition, with the regular who has the most posts in the 24-hour period following the lifting of the ban, getting a really, really cool prize!!!

Something along the lines of being banned for another week to give the other regulars a chance ....... :huh:

Edited by Azaruk

You know, I don't really care if this is all said tongue-in-cheek. The fact that this thread exists shows an arrogant "the-world-can't-exist-without-me" attitude and lends credence to those that criticized regular posters in the other threads.

IMHO, all this really belongs in Off Topic. When I visit this section of the forum, I would hope to find information about the sport of Geocaching, not sniping about who intimidated whom and which forum can't get by without whom. Lively debate - yes, but not this BS.

My prediction - if regulars stopped posting, other equally experienced cachers who don't say as much would gladly answer questions. It might be a bit quieter, but maybe that would be a good thing.

Now if we went a week without Mods...

The fact that this thread exists shows an arrogant "the-world-can't-exist-without-me" attitude and lends credence to those that criticized regular posters in the other threads.

Oh my, nothing is good if you happen to be a 'regular'... If you post too often, you're scorned by some, if you decide to cancel posting, you're scorned again, possibly by the same people. :huh:

My prediction - if regulars stopped posting, other equally experienced cachers who don't say as much would gladly answer questions.  It might be a bit quieter, but maybe that would be a good thing.

Yeah, but then the other equally experienced cachers would soon become regulars, because they keep posting, and that would be a bad thing again, huh? :P

Imagine a regularless forum. It's easy if you try. :huh:

Oh my, nothing is good if you happen to be a 'regular'... If you post too often, you're scorned by some, if you decide to cancel posting, you're scorned again, possibly by the same people.

I've got nothing against regulars, but if you really want to take on a persecution complex, be my guest. I do, however, have a problem with those that think the world revolves around them.

Yeah, but then the other equally experienced cachers would soon become regulars, because they keep posting, and that would be a bad thing again, huh?

'Tis the nature of forums - you need both regulars and irregulars to sustain a conversation. And it is also the nature of forums that someone is going to get bent out of shape.

... When I visit this section of the forum, I would hope to find information about the sport of Geocaching, not sniping about who intimidated whom and which forum can't get by without whom. Lively debate - yes, but not this BS. My prediction - if regulars stopped posting, other equally experienced cachers who don't say as much would gladly answer questions.

Do you think there would actually be lively debate, or just other people (like, for example, yourself) sniping? (I searched your post for points to debate, and that's all I could find.)

I think if you check the more-active threads from one year ago, two years ago, and three years ago, you will discover there always seems to be a relatively small group of highly-active forum participants ... but every year or so, many of the names change through attrition (or other reasons.)

I think one would notice something very similar over the short-term if the majority of "regulars" took a week-or-two off: One would simply see a few of the "slightly-less regulars" filling the void with "more-of-the-same."

I've got nothing against regulars, but if you really want to take on a persecution complex, be my guest.  I do, however, have a problem with those that think the world revolves around them.

This thread was really cool for a while ........

Then the regulars got accused of having the world revolve around them.

So .... I think this whole idea must now be binned.

Why?

Duh! Obvious!!!!!

If the regulars stop posting, the world is going to stop turning.

If the world stops turning, the sats won't know what the heck is going on down here.

If the sats can't help, the game of geocaching will immediately die.

And all because the regulars stopped posting!!!!!!

Edited by Azaruk

As a compromise to those who are concerned about all this, I propose we have an Irregular Free Week. All non-regulars can voluntarily not post in the forums for a week.

I also suggest that the Irregular Free Week correspond exactly with the Regular Free Week. This way, since the forum servers aren't being used, it will give Elias a chance to change the oil and rotate the tires on the database. :D

Holy Cow!  Satellites have cognitive abilities?  Where did I leave the instructions for making those tinfoil hats?  :P

You mean you didn't know???!!!!!

OMG!!!!! In this country we've been wearing tinfoil hats for some time now. They are really neat. They are available in two variations, one fits into the crown of a regular brimmed bush hat, the other (winter variation) looks like a shiny beanie.

Have you never wondered how the GPSr knows where you are ..... ALL THE TIME?

Geocaching is a major conspiracy, a mutual endeavour between the satellite operators and Jeremy Irish.

These sats are slowly conditioning and changing the DNA in our brains.

Soon, we will all be frogs!!!!!!

Wear the tinfoil! ... I can't stress this enough ..... WEAR THE TIN .... ribbit ..... ribbitt ..... ribbitttttt

:D

edited to do the on-topic thing. ........ It's up to you if you want to stop regular posting.

Edited by Azaruk

RK, I have hitched my wagon to your train and ready for Feb 1st thru the 7th

Have notice a lot of posters have said “ BUT WHO’S GOING TO ANSWER ALL THOSE QUESTION”

Think you will be pleasantly surprised, wait and see, there are a lot of very knowledgeable folks out there lurking ……………. JOE

OK.

Let's see this thing in action.

February 1 through 7 seems to be the time frame.

RK - define "Regular" - there still seems to be no consensus on what constitutes a "Regular".

All those fitting in to the category, list your acceptance.

This is cool!!!!!

Admitting already that it cant be done?

And banning for something like this for fun is not a big deal. You may be a paying customer but most of what this is about has nothing to do with paying customers. The forums are a public forum. I think we just want to see who actually could survive a week without posting. For some this is life and with some of these posters posts its getting proven at there every post.

Its just a game, its just a forum, its no different then saying hey lets see if you can go a week without t.v. but instead of just turning it off you have the cable company disconnect ya.

Come on what is a week of your life? And its all in fun........... Would be nice to see actually where these posts go and what gets posted to tempt THE REGS into posting LOL.......

If you ask me it would be a awesome april fools joke by Jeremy to do that for just one day to some of you.. I think some might go off the deep handle............

i'm not saying it can't be done. i'm saying that i would be highly peeved if, as a paying member who has broken no rules, flamed no posters, and spends most of their time in off topic where most of the posters don't want angst anyway, if i should be banned because someone wants to experiment. it may be just a forum for you, but i am house bound most of the time and this should not be taken away from me for a week because of a whim. make it voluntary, just don't ban all users with high counts.

Edited by uperdooper

I agree with Uper. If people want to play a volunatry game/experiment, then OK, but after more thought I don't like the idea. I might participate in the general forum or not, I'll decide when/if it happens. But I fully intend to post in OT. I find it fun and see no reason for this little social experiment to carry over to there.

Edited by carleenp
You know, I don't really care if this is all said tongue-in-cheek. The fact that this thread exists shows an arrogant "the-world-can't-exist-without-me" attitude and lends credence to those that criticized regular posters in the other threads.

IMHO, all this really belongs in Off Topic. When I visit this section of the forum, I would hope to find information about the sport of Geocaching, not sniping about who intimidated whom and which forum can't get by without whom. Lively debate - yes, but not this BS.

My prediction - if regulars stopped posting, other equally experienced cachers who don't say as much would gladly answer questions. It might be a bit quieter, but maybe that would be a good thing.

Now if we went a week without Mods...

my opinion does not come from a "the world can't exist without me" attitude. it lends no credence at all the the "the regulars are picking on me" attitude either. it comes from the fact that the majority of my posts are from a thread that no longer exists except in the furthest regions of off topic. i've posted more in this thread in the last 2 days than i have in on topic altogether in the last month. not everyone in on topic spends their days trying to find a way to insult other posters. unless you know everyone's personal posting history from day one, you can't judge anyone.

I agree with Uper here. While our circumstances are different, our reason are not. We both enjoy posting in the forums. I spend the vast majority of my time in "Off Topic", and the the remainder is spent almost exclusively in either "Getting Started" or "GPS Units and Software", where I attempt to answer the questions that I can, or participate in discussions about geocaching.

I can see no real purpose served by the proposed experiement. I understand what some believe will be the result, but I don't agree with them, and I don't see any reason to participate. If the abscence of "Regulars" serves as the impetus for others to start posting, than will not the return of the regulars after whatever period is designated for the "experiment" force the lurkers back into the shadows?

Edited by tirediron
...So for those in, no posting Feb 1 - 7 inclusive.  Last November I was gone most of the month, the forums got along fine without me.  They will survive fine that week.  Heck it will be intersting to see if a new kind of angst developes or if peace and harmony becomes the order of the day.

So, since I haven't read this particular thread,

I don't have to play by your rules. Right? :D:P

One idea:

advertise the topic via your sig lines

For the past two years on Slashdot, people have tried to start "The Great Slashdot Blackout" where nobody would post for a week, just to see what would happen with the site. It didn't work as there wasn't participation to make a noticable dent.

Same thing here. While there may be a few participants, I doubt enough will play to make a dent. And for those that do, they'll be gone a day or two, see that most people are still here, and give it up.

At any rate, I'm still missing the point. (Yes, I know it was tongue-in-cheek, but enough people seem to be taking this seriously that it may actually happen)

...RK - define "Regular" - there still seems to be no consensus on what constitutes a "Regular".

This is cool!!!!!

I can't. For one thing it changes. Someone can come in, in a blaze of posts and inside of a week be a regular, others post here and there over time and are a regular though they never had a high post count. BadAndy posted like a regular from day one.

If you know you are not a regular, you are not. If you are wondering if you are a regular you probably are. If you have been involved in a controversial topic...odds are you are. If someone has ever said "hey where has so and so gone?" and you are them... you are. If you think you are a lurker but your post count has passed a number that you thought you would never get too, whatever that number may be for you... you are a regualar.

As for the AS crowd, that's a unique circumstance, and I can't bame you guys for your take on things and even suspected as much when I hit "send" on the OP.

My entire bet on the outcome is that over a week, nothing much will change except the names.

Edited by Renegade Knight
if you "regulars" get bored, you could always go cacheing  :D

when is it going to get through to some people that not everyone can cache every day? physical problems can be a reason not to cache. does it need to be spelled out? sheesh!

Some of us have jobs that keep us in the office but not necessarily out of the forums.

...RK - define "Regular" - there still seems to be no consensus on what constitutes a "Regular".

This is cool!!!!!

I can't. For one thing it changes. Someone can come in, in a blaze of posts and inside of a week be a regular, others post here and there over time and are a regular though they never had a high post count. BadAndy posted like a regular from day one.

If you know you are not a regular, you are not. If you are wondering if you are a regular you probably are. If you have been involved in a controversial topic...odds are you are. If someone has ever said "hey where has so and so gone?" and you are them... you are. If you think you are a lurker but your post count has passed a number that you thought you would never get too, whatever that number may be for you... you are a regualar.

As for the AS crowd, that's a unique circumstance, and I can't bame you guys for your take on things and even suspected as much when I hit "send" on the OP.

My entire bet on the outcome is that over a week, nothing much will change except the names.

even without my AS count i still have over 1400 posts. that's more than most.

... When I visit this section of the forum, I would hope to find information about the sport of Geocaching, not sniping about who intimidated whom and which forum can't get by without whom. Lively debate - yes, but not this BS.  My prediction - if regulars stopped posting, other equally experienced cachers who don't say as much would gladly answer questions.

Do you think there would actually be lively debate, or just other people (like, for example, yourself) sniping? (I searched your post for points to debate, and that's all I could find.)

I think if you check the more-active threads from one year ago, two years ago, and three years ago, you will discover there always seems to be a relatively small group of highly-active forum participants ... but every year or so, many of the names change through attrition (or other reasons.)

I think one would notice something very similar over the short-term if the majority of "regulars" took a week-or-two off: One would simply see a few of the "slightly-less regulars" filling the void with "more-of-the-same."

I agree with you on this.

I still think it's an interesting experiment to exercise.

Nature abhors a vacuum and some people just can't stand silence. Also, some won't be able to resist the urge to taunt in a transparent attempt to try to pull the "regulars" back in during that week. Those are the ones that will fill the void. The complainers will see all their complaints about the regulars will be for naught.

if you "regulars" get bored, you could always go cacheing  :D

when is it going to get through to some people that not everyone can cache every day? physical problems can be a reason not to cache. does it need to be spelled out? sheesh!

Some of us have jobs that keep us in the office but not necessarily out of the forums.

another very good reason.