What Would You Ask Garmin

BlueDeuce

I'd ask them to please, please fix the bug in the 60cs introduced sometime around firmware version 3.4.something that makes my unit crash when approaching certain streets with guidance text turned on. I was all excited that the release notes of the new firmware made it look like this problem had been addressed, but it didn't fix it (see my other post -- "60cs Beta Firmware - Disappointed").

The only fix for me is not to use guidance text (I like it because it names cross streets as you approach them) or to use an old version of the f/w. I'm really surprised this bug hasn't been fixed!

What about using the turn by turn text screen with the guidance text turned off? That's what I typically do because I find that I either want a large map or want to know future turns neither of which pop up text provides.

I have only had my GPS for four weeks and for the most part I think it's great, but here are my suggestions.

I have a Rino 120:

2) 2 or 4 batteries, not 3. I like to use Rechargeble Batteries. The odd number of batteries in this unit make it unsafe to use rechargebles (I know; I work for a battery manufacturer). There is no 3 battery charger, and mixing batteries of different charge levels in a device or charger is not recommended.

Everready makes a good charger that I have used for several years now with NiCD and NiMH. It is a 4-bay AAA and AA charger that runs off 12V and charges each cell indepentantly. So 3 cells are fine (I wish it did 6...). I spent some effort looking for chargers to use with the 3 cell Motorola Talkabout radios.

Now, if I could get Sendmap20 to work with my RINO 130 to dl my map I would be real happy...

jv

I would cast my vote and money for  a 24k topo program for my whole state besides the one offered for the National Parks. Also I hate the way you have to enter a waypoint manually on the 76CS. I like the 76S method much better and it is so much easier. That is the only one small think I don't care for on the 76CS

Huh? They should have the same software.

No the 76CS and the 76s don't have the same software.

I'd like to see the 60/76cs have the favorite waypoint save option, and that aren't removed when deleting your other waypoints.

big ditto here.

To get around this for now I keep a GPX of my "favorites" and load them up using GSAK after I load the regular waypoints. But I've wanted this for a while.

Thought about asking Clyde for a "Favorites" feature like this but decided he probably had better things to work on :blink:

With a Garmin unit, to be able to retain some waypoints while deleting others, simply use different icons! You can then use the inbuilt "delete waypoints by icon" function.

I use the "residence" icon for waypoints I want to retain in the unit - family & friends for example. For geocaching, I use the standard "treasure chest" icons. When I am finished in a particular session, I delete all the chests, leaving the residence icons on board.

You can then use the inbuilt "delete waypoints by icon" function.

I prefer the easier (lazier) method of load'em as favorites and forget about them.

Now with the 76cs I have no choice but to use the 'delete by symbol' method.

I guess they should have never offered the function on the Etrex, I wouldn't be expecting it on the new and improved models.

Real easy...Support Mac OSX. I'm currently in the market to upgrade from my old Yellow E-Trex, and although I had a Garmin 60c, in hand, with VISA...ready for purchase, I read between the lines of the vague packaging to deduce it's not Mac compatible. Lucky me for putting it back.

I too am a dedicated Mac user but I just have to say if you want a GPS get it because none of them support the Mac.

I lost my Etrex Vista in the woods and it was returned to me thanks to the start up screen showing my address and phone number. My new Rino 130 won't do that. Seems simple enough to copy the code from the Etrex Vista. A more secure way to attach my Rino 130 to my body. I'd also like an option to place the data fields at the bottom, top or left side of the map screen instead of just the right side. It would be nice if I could pick how many fields I want displayed so they could take up less screen space if I selected less. My Rino has a vibrating feature as well, but the only time it does this is at startup as far as I can tell. Let me assign this feature to whatever event I want. I also like the SD card and bluetooth features requested by others.

If Garmin were listening, I would tell them to ditch their unlocking policy on maps. I am in the market for a 3rd GPS and it probably won't be a Garmin because I already used two of the unlock codes on the maps I have. I cannot get myself to pay again for something I already own (City Select). If I could use my existing maps, then this would be a no-brainer and I would probably even spring for topo maps or upgrade my existing map set. As it is, I am investigating other manufacturers.

If Garmin were listening, I would tell them to ditch their unlocking policy on maps. I am in the market for a 3rd GPS and it probably won't be a Garmin because I already used two of the unlock codes on the maps I have. I cannot get myself to pay again for something I already own (City Select). If I could use my existing maps, then this would be a no-brainer and I would probably even spring for topo maps or upgrade my existing map set. As it is, I am investigating other manufacturers.

If you upgrade to the latest City Select say from v5 to v6 you can unlock a new GPS. The upgrade option only retains the unlock for the primary GPS not the additional ones. Also you may be able to contact Garmin and explain your situation.

I would like to see:

1 - More internal memory

2 - Standard SD card slot for external memory - Could be behind the battery door as in Magellan Meridian Gold to make it waterproof.

3 - Topographical maps of the UK - Magellan already have a UK Topo product, come on Garmin, you're slipping behind.

I agree that memory is so cheap, that Garmin should be adding more of it.

Adrian

After you've got the memory expansion, (See the Pentax Optio Water resistant cameras for a dunkable SD card door) then you're going to want to put some data that is usable and more current on it.

How about user map data / overhead imagery upload support, a much faster processor to handle it all, and at least more current and higher resolution proprietary topo and map data? Contract with DeLorme for map data in trade for them to stop making their clunky GPS's.

A return to a positive lock for the external antennas, the friction locking of the baby coax is awful, can they make a mini bnc connector?

Even longer battery life, a means of attaching an inexpensive replacable screen protector or armor of some sort.

LOWER PRICES LOWER PRICES LOWER PRICES LOWER PRICES LOWER PRICES

I lost my Etrex Vista in the woods and it was returned to me thanks to the start up screen showing my address and phone number. My new Rino 130 won't do that. Seems simple enough to copy the code from the Etrex Vista. A more secure way to attach my Rino 130 to my body. I'd also like an option to place the data fields at the bottom, top or left side of the map screen instead of just the right side. It would be nice if I could pick how many fields I want displayed so they could take up less screen space if I selected less. My Rino has a vibrating feature as well, but the only time it does this is at startup as far as I can tell. Let me assign this feature to whatever event I want. I also like the SD card and bluetooth features requested by others.

Look into a program called MeMap. It's a program that was designed to change the Lawyer screen on the eMap to a personal screen. It has been proven to work on the eTrex line as well (search the forum for "memap"). It very well might work on a Rino.

I'd add my vote for changing the font sizes on the map page on the 60CS (range). The Legend (B&W) has a slightly larger display area and with smaller fonts so more map.

That's my big disappointment in moving to the newer 60 series: the map page when in goto mode and actually showing data fields is too small for serious use! ;)

Fingers crossed, Garmin may update the firmware to fix this GUI glitch...sometime :huh:

I'd add my vote for changing the font sizes on the map page on the 60CS (range).  The Legend (B&W) has a slightly larger display area and with smaller fonts so more map. 

This reminds me, not so much smaller fonts, though an option for that would be nice too, TRANSPARENT (or semi-transparent) DATA BLOCKS, to make the map display bigger with numbers merely overlaid on it so you don't wipe out a third of the map display for data fields.

It could be done with an outline font, black on white / white on black reversable for day/night

I'd add my vote for changing the font sizes on the map page on the 60CS (range).

I'd settle for different data fields for navigation and non-navigation modes. Doesn't make sense to look at blank fields (like time to next, time to destination) when you aren't going anywhere.

I vote for more options with Declutter on/off. I would like to turn off POI icons and leave street labels or vice versa. If they really wanted to make it cool they could give you more options on what to leave on like specific POI like Rest Areas or Food. This way you could filter them all out and see just what you want. This combined with the regular search functions would really be helpful.

Also an ability to search just the road ahead of you and not things behind you on a given route. Also it would be cool to be able to limit how far off the route it would search for things.

I'd ask them when they are going to come out with a in car unit that has a large enough hard drive to store Topo Maps (USGS Style not the reduced) and Street Maps for at least a very large area.

I've was looking at the Street Pilots and they don't show them as compatible wth Mapsource topo and that's not as detailed as I'd like but it's better than just City Select.

I'd like a shortcut key to turn on and off the data fields (without wading through the menus) on the navigation/map screen. Also a shortcut to declutter (or hide waypoint icons, etc.) And...when not navigating, automatically turn off the data fields with no valid data (i.e. ETA to destination, Time To Next, etc.). I like having the data points when navigating (although they could be much smaller or at least have a "small" option), but then when I'm not navigating, I have half of the map screen blocked by 4 empty data boxes....

In no particular order. I own five Garmin GPSes (2 Rino 120, eTrex Vista, eMap, SP III) and I've sent lists like this to Garmin in the past.

• Allow me to modify MapSource maps to reduce/remove/add POIs at my whim
  • Make certain maps "sticky" on the unit and never delete when doing new upload.
  • I want to define a "home" waypoint that is never deleted, even when I do "Delete All" from waypoint search page. Perhaps requiring a "delete sticky" option.
  • More waypoints when you can.
  • Geocache and Geocache found icons in legacy units (SP III in my case)
  • SD memory, somehow. Even at the expense of full waterproofing.
  • Waypoints on SD card, not in main memory
  • Unlock codes from 2 per product to something closer to 5.
  • Make MapSource a better mapping and route planning tool, not just something that enables Garmin map access.
  • Admit your mistakes when you make them.
  • State by state 24K topos. I'll buy two or three states the moment they do this. Does not need to support routing
  • Rinos have better speaker/radio function. Sounds like I'm talking to the guy at Krusty Burger.
  • Save maps in MapSource to JPG/BMP files.
  • USB master protocol in order to talk to slave Palm devices. Actually, this is palmOne's problem but yelling at them hasn't helped.
  • Pay attention to most of the things that ropertlipe mentions.

For the 60C/60CS model:

1) Mentioned hundreds of times already -- Mac OS X support!! That's USB on the Mac, not a USB-to-serial adapter requirement.

2) More memory or better yet

3) Removable memory cards (load a set of maps on a card and pop 'em in and out as needed)

4) Mac OS X USB support

5) Ability to create a map set in MapSource and save it as a downloadable file that can be dumped to the unit whenever needed -- why require the regeneration and upload of a map set each time?

6) Mac OS X USB support

7) A better attitude from Garmin's Customer Support & Tech Support departments regarding ALL Macintosh users -- face it, it's an OSX/Linux/Windows/blah-blah-blah world out there. "Good" customer service suggests you cater to ALL users, not a select few or a particular sub-culture. Funny thing is, a bunch of guys in Garmin's Tech Support group are actually Mac owners and users -- yet they refuse to support the Mac OS. (Hire a kid fresh out of college or even a high-schooler -- he'll be happy to work for reasonably low pay, write some software/drivers that thousands of people are clamoring for, and get work experience at the same time!)

8) Mac OS X USB support -- (okay, sorry, I think I mentioned that one!)

5) Ability to create a map set in MapSource and save it as a downloadable file that can be dumped to the unit whenever needed -- why require the regeneration and upload of a map set each time?

This can be done currently with MapSource. Just make sure you have your mapset created in Mapsource and then save it to your computer. Next time you need it just open it up and the mapset and waypoints and whatever else you saved will be read to go.

This can be done currently with MapSource. Just make sure you have your mapset created in Mapsource and then save it to your computer. Next time you need it just open it up and the mapset and waypoints and whatever else you saved will be read to go.

No, sorry -- I guess I wasn't clear. Yes, I know you can create mapsets and save them as individual files, and reload them into MapSource whenever you want. What I meant is that EVERY TIME a new mapset is UPLOADED TO THE HANDHELD, MapSource goes through the entire process of regenerating the index files, zeroing out the handheld, and building and uploading the maps.

It took almost two hours on my Vista using serial. It takes a lot less time using the latest MapSource software and uploading to my 60CS using USB (that's under Windows 98 emulation using Virtual PC 4.0.2 under Mac OS 9.2.2 by the way -- it completely fails using USB, Windows XP under VPC 7.0 under Mac OS X -- but I digress!!) The point is, it takes "forever" for the mapsets to be generated so they can be sent to the handheld, and then only a couple of minutes to be transferred via USB.

What I'd like to see is the ability to generate the mapset and save THAT file to your hard drive (let it take as long as it's supposed to -- 30 minutes, an hour, whatever). But then you should be able to just connect your handheld to your computer (via USB, of course), and upload that file into the unit in just a few minutes -- any time, every time. The hard work only has to be done once, the first time. Create your various mapsets in MapSource, generate the necessary indexes only ONCE, and load that file whenever you need to change maps.

Was that clearer?

If there IS a way to do what I'm describing, I'd sure like to know about it!!!! For people that are constantly travelling or just want to load different mapping areas, that would save hours of time.

...................................................................................................................

Was that clearer?

If there IS a way to do what I'm describing, I'd sure like to know about it!!!! For people that are constantly travelling or just want to load different mapping areas, that would save hours of time.

Very much so and I have to agree that it is a bit time consuming but I usually start it and go do something else. Takes about 15 minutes at most for a full load.

I have a minor issue with the geocaching mode of the 60C. I'd like to be able to select the next cache from a list of the nearby caches after having found the current one. The suggested or nearest cache is not always in a direction I want to travel.

Why doesn't Garmin (the website) offer a yearly download to update their Mapsource data, especially City Select? The new City Select version which I recently bought is already outdated due to alll the new roads in my area. It would be nice if you could download an update every year which includes all new roads, highways, points of interest, etc.

I have a minor issue with the geocaching mode of the 60C. I'd like to be able to select the next cache from a list of the nearby caches after having found the current one. The suggested or nearest cache is not always in a direction I want to travel.

You can always search your waypoints by symbol then hit menu and then hit find nearest.

Why doesn't Garmin (the website) offer a yearly download to update their Mapsource data, especially City Select? The new City Select version which I recently bought is already outdated due to alll the new roads in my area. It would be nice if you could download an update every year which includes all new roads, highways, points of interest, etc.

It appears they are doing this now that they have gone to Navtec data. City Select 6 came out about a year after City Select 5. The problem is no matter what even the latest software will be a year old due to the time involved in updating all the maps for the entire country.

Why doesn't Garmin (the website) offer a yearly download to update their Mapsource data, especially City Select?    The new City Select version which I recently bought is already outdated due to alll the new roads in my area.  It would be nice if you could download an update every year which includes all new roads, highways, points of interest, etc.

It appears they are doing this now that they have gone to Navtec data. City Select 6 came out about a year after City Select 5. The problem is no matter what even the latest software will be a year old due to the time involved in updating all the maps for the entire country.

Thanks. So...does that mean you can down the updates for free? I couldn't find a link on their site. Maybe I'm blind.

I'd ask them when they are going to come out with a in car unit that has a large enough hard drive to store Topo Maps (USGS Style not the reduced) and Street Maps for at least a very large area.

I've was looking at the Street Pilots and they don't show them as compatible wth Mapsource topo and that's not as detailed as I'd like but it's better than just City Select.

USGS data doesn't seem to be updated often enough yet for my tastes. I'd prefer to find a way to dump DeLorme's data in instead.

I would ask Garmin to:

1. Keep up the GREAT hardware support

2. Add SD memory capabilities (NOT under the batteries, for obvious reasons). I really don't want to remove the batteries to change SD cards with other maps on them.

3. Remove the lock on software products

4. Share your great color screen display technoloty with PDA makers so I can read both when I am outside geocaching and not head for some shade when I want to enter data in my PDA.

That's it.

4. Share your great color screen display technoloty with PDA makers so I can read both when I am outside geocaching and not head for some shade when I want to enter data in my PDA.

I would like to see that also, but with my new Explorist 500 and being able to have a good portion of the cache info dislayed on the GPS screen, includong the hint (Not that I would ever use a hint) I will not need my PPC as much :lol:

Thanks.  So...does that mean you can down the updates for free?  I couldn't find a link on their site.  Maybe I'm blind.

why would they give out maps for free?

Not the maps for free....only the updates. In other words, I already purchased the maps, but they soon become out of date with new roads being built etc. Why can't they provide a yearly update via a quick download?

Thanks.  So...does that mean you can down the updates for free?  I couldn't find a link on their site.  Maybe I'm blind.

why would they give out maps for free?

Not the maps for free....only the updates. In other words, I already purchased the maps, but they soon become out of date with new roads being built etc. Why can't they provide a yearly update via a quick download?

No the the new versions are not considered updates. If you owned the previous version you can get a discount on the new version but not for free.

Tried something new today and it didn't work. And I think Garmin should fix it.

I Have 15 to 20 Waypoint set in my GPS MAP 76S. Asked it to sort them by the Nearest. Worked fine.

Started driving to a Cache, waiting to see the list be resorted automatically. Nope.

You must manually ask for a resort. Otherwise it just keeps updating the distance to the Waypoint that was nearest when that list was last generated.

I expected better than that.

what I'm sure everyone else has already requested:

- removeable memory cards :

this is one of the main reasons people who buy magellans buy magellans

- make travel bundle packages:

give people a price break when buying maps with the gps. (another reason I wound up buying a magellan)

That's pretty much it. I used a Legend for a while. It was a nice unit. WHen I decided I wanted a unit for in car navigation as well, Garmin didn't offer anything with decent memory (aside from 1 or 2 newer VERY expensive models, and those still only had 128 or so mb of memory). I bought a Magellan Meridian Travel color bundle for $380.

things I like about Garmin vs my Meridian color:

-Garmin color screens have more colors, higher res (unfortunately higher price as well) (don't know how they compare with the new explorist though).

- waypoint icons match those of geocaching.com when downloaded. (new explorist might too - i don't know)

almost forgot:

-maybe they fixed it, but the panning on my legen was really, really annoying. had to go through a menu to tell it to pan first, then could pan. with my meridian, I just start panning.

- having a joystick double as an enter key makes it difficult to not accidentally scroll or select when you mean to do the other. (etrex models, may not be the case on newer models)

Edited by ritzvin