What Would You Ask Garmin

BlueDeuce

Here's a feature I would like to see on my Garmin (Geko):

When I lean on OK to grab the current coords, it would be great if I had an option to use the numbers to update an existign waypoint. For example, I might have already laboriously input the WP name and icon, and when I get to the site, want to update just the numerical coords.

There could perhaps be an option "Update existing WP" on the "Mark" screen, which would lead to the "waypoint chooser", much like when you calculate distances between <wherever> and a given waypoint.

Shouldn't take more than half an hour to program B) and would be very cool.

I don't own a Gecko, but on both of my Garmin units you can call up a waypoint already in your GPSr and select "Move waypoint here" to change the existing coordinates to those being received by the GPSr at that time.

That menu is accessed differently on the two units so I can't really say exactly how (or if) it is accessed on the Gecko. I am sure it is in the manual.

===============================

Well, I looked at the manual on the Garmin web site, and if this option exists I couldn't find it. Sorry for the bad information.

Edited by Klatch

I would ask them to add bluetooth to all their devices. I'd be waiting in like for the GPSmap 60CSB (The "B" stands for Bluetooth)

It'd be nice to be able to network my Garmin fishfinders, and GPS units just by having them near each other.

It would also be nice to trade waypoints, routes, tracks, etc. with those we meet while out caching.

It would also be nice to be able to download maps and waypoints from my PC via a Bluetooth connection.

It would be nice if my new GPSmap 60CSB could send a NEMA GPS stream to my Bluetooth-enabled iPAQ 1450.

It would be nice to surf the web with my GPS when near a Bluetooth access point. (OK I'm getting carried away). B)

any chance you'll be making any new units with memory expansion slots?

I personally would sacrifice a little durability for this feature. If they could mate an old eMap with a 76C, and the offspring would use CF or SD memory, I think they'd have THE ULTIMATE GPSr!

Edited by Neo_Geo

How about adding a realistic amount of memory in your handhelds? 24-56-112mb is rather lame for a mapping device in the 21st century. It's not asking too much to expect units selling for $300-500 to come loaded with 1GB of built-in flash memory and to have a flash memory expansion slot (SD or xD).

Sorry, but lack of memory was the sole reason why I didn't go with a 60CS.

I'm a Magellan user currently, looking to upgrade soon.

I've seen the 60cs, and it look good.. but this was my sole reason for not getting one. After having expandable memory, I couldn't be limited to fixed memory, and not much at that.

Jamie

Here's your chance to ask a question or make a (polite) statement to Garmin concerning their service and products.

I would ask them how the "accuracy" figure displayed on Garmin units is calculated, and what factors are used in that calculation.

I'd ask Thales (Magellan) the same question - but I don't expect a sensible answer from either company.

Not here. Not ever... B)

RAM, Tons of RAM. Not in SD format, but native. Where I can put my entire area that I travel and never have to swap out map sets. Enough to where I can put both Topo and City Select in the GPS for that area.

V Chassis. Bluetooth. 10,000 waypoints, Color screen. Mondo battery life. Bigger screen in the same V Chassis. Selectable preference modes (IE one for Pilot, Boating, Geocaching, etc.) that move your menues to better suit the usage.

I'll happily trade the development time for games for some developent on this GPS.

Here's your chance to ask a question or make a (polite) statement to Garmin concerning their service and products.

I would ask them how the "accuracy" figure displayed on Garmin units is calculated, and what factors are used in that calculation.

I'd ask Thales (Magellan) the same question - but I don't expect a sensible answer from either company.

Not here. Not ever... B)

Good point.

I'm curiouse about how Magellan uses an average to determin position and I'm curiouse of Garmin does the same thing or does it differently etc.

I did ask Thales and got a "huh?" from them.

I'd ask for the following product improvements:

1. Bluetooth i/o.

2. SD card support.

3. Temporary licenses to use mapsets for when you go on vacation. For instance, I'd happily pay USD$30 for the opportunity to use CitySelect Europe for a 2- or 3-week trip in Europe. There is NO WAY I would pay full price because I would have problems re-selling the software afterwards since I would have used up one of the activation codes.

4. Additional waypoint fields so that Geocaching data (descriptions, hints, past logs) could be stored and displayed in the GPSr.

GeoBC

Here's a suggestion...

I have a Forerunner 201. It gives you an option to make a custom page with the time, speed, distance and others. But it doesn't have Lat and Lon as an option. The only way to display latitude and longitude is to mark the location, then edit the waypoint.

having an arrow pointing to the next waypoint as one of the custom page windows would be nice too.

also, make a larger wristband available.

Edited by Jake - Team A.I.
One vote for Mac OS X USB compatibility, or a clear statement revealing the fact that Garmins are NOT Mac compatible!

Huh? They easily connect to my Amiga of all things, Linux box and I have the cable for my Palm device...that's why I don't own a Magellan!

(I just googled "Mac OS X Garmin GPS" and found software as well as instructions...)

None of the previously mentioned items interest me... Hmm..

How about a HUD? (Heads up display...) Haha...

I use mapping on my Palm device, so have a CF slot already.

Oh, but answering the "how is the accuracy number calculated" query, it's based on the satellite constellation. The more sats you're receiving, the lower the number. The greater the triangulation, the lower the number.

A software update improving the basic eTrex software would be nice--use the current waypoint ID and icon when marking a new one; from the Mark Waypoint screen, an option to GoTo it (avoiding page changes, entering waypoint, finding/selecting it and picking GoTo); use AA's in new units rather than short-lived AAA's; stronger battery springs to avoid power drop-outs...

The basic "improve the product" over "marketing features" type stuff.

Enjoy,

Randy

any chance you'll be making any new units with memory expansion slots?

I personally would sacrifice a little durability for this feature. If they could mate an old eMap with a 76C, and the offspring would use CF or SD memory, I think they'd have THE ULTIMATE GPSr!

Yes thats important, it needs to be 'common' memory, not some special stuff.

Considering some of the streetpilots have CF slots you wouldn't think this would be that hard. Maybe they want all expandable ones to cost $1000+ ?

When I lean on OK to grab the current coords, it would be great if I had an option to use the numbers to update an existign waypoint. For example, I might have already laboriously input the WP name and icon, and when I get to the site, want to update just the numerical coords.

There could perhaps be an option "Update existing WP" on the "Mark" screen, which would lead to the "waypoint chooser", much like when you calculate distances between <wherever> and a given waypoint.

Shouldn't take more than half an hour to program :huh: and would be very cool.

My Garmin Vista has that feature. It's on the Navigation page. I don't have my unit handy but I think it's called Reposition or sonething like that. Are you sure it's not on the Geko?

(Legend B&W, v 3.6)

Well, it's pretty low level, but when I am on the map screen and have the data fields on the bottom... as I approach the cache (waypoint) it puts up a window saying 'Approaching Destination'. Since I am walking slowly by that time, I already know this, and it covers up the Bearing number display. This really irks me cuz that's when I need to see the bearing numbers most! Make the 'Approaching Destination' display OPTIONAL, please! :huh:

I'd like to see the 60/76cs have the favorite waypoint save option, and that aren't removed when deleting your other waypoints.

big ditto here.

To get around this for now I keep a GPX of my "favorites" and load them up using GSAK after I load the regular waypoints. But I've wanted this for a while.

Thought about asking Clyde for a "Favorites" feature like this but decided he probably had better things to work on :huh:

I've seen the 60cs, and it look good.. but this was my sole reason for not getting one. After having expandable memory, I couldn't be limited to fixed memory, and not much at that.

Jamie

I can get the entire state of MI in street level detail on my 60CS. If you got a 76CS you could get twice that. More than you'd need anyway.

Edit: Also, using mapsource, I can get street level detail of a route from Detroit to San Francisco. That's a really long route....

But I agree. I just bought an MP3 player with 1 gig of memory for $160. And it's tiny. Memory is cheap and small. We should see units with 2 gig+ in the $500 range.

Someone mentioned bluetooth. I've thought before that waypoint swapping would be awesome. Bluetooth would be nice, but even if they had IR... then things like GPX Sonar and Cachemate could "beam" waypoints to the GPS and when you're out at an event or something with 20 some waypoints to enter, you could just beam them around.

That'd be awesome too :huh:

There's so many cool possibilities that haven't even been touched yet.

Edited by trippy1976

This is just the tip of my iceberg, so I'll start with easy ones.

The 60/76, Quest, and 2610 were all released within a few months of each other and each supports USB. The first supports only waypoint type D109, the second only D110s (which weren't documented until a couple of months after you shipped them - and just have a few extra fields stuck in the middle of the packets) and the last, unlike the other two, sometimes responds on the bulk pipe (where the USB spec is clear that data of this type should be) and sometimes on the interrupt pipe. (Until we get past that, I don't know if it's D109 or D110...) The end result to the developer - amplified by your lack of a developer program which means we have to buy all three if we want to support all three - is that these three models all require us to fund different drivers. Does that sound like a good plan?

Forerunner sends a packet described in your own spec (001-00063-00 Rev. B ) as

6.7.4 A302  Track Log Transfer Protocol

Identical to A301, but used in the Forerunner line of devices.

Is there a reason to gratituously renumber packets other than to guarantee that all third party software has to be modified explictly to deal with Forerunner?

I count 16 distinctly different waypoint transfer protocols in "the" protocol. (Tracks and routes are extra credit as are USB layer vs. 232 layer plus the whole A001 identification vs. divine table lookup horror.) Developers are not happy funding this kind of development, testing, and support. What are you plans to produce products that actually act similar?

I'll resist the urge to keep going since I'm sure this is futile anyway...

[ edit: change parenthesized spec number to not be a smiley ]

Edited by robertlipe
I can get the entire state of MI in street level detail on my 60CS. If you got a 76CS you could get twice that. More than you'd need anyway.

I don't want to turn this into a Magellan vs. Garmin debate... because I'm not loyal to either.

But for my uses, one or two states is sometimes not enough. And it's not simply the memory capacity. It's the ability to store several maps at once, and the ability to save tracks and waypoint files. I've used all of those on my Meridian, where I could not on a Garmin product.

I'd be seriously tempted to go Garmin if it had the flexibility of a memory card.

I'm impressed by the battery life Garmin gets out of their units, the color screens are great, and the UI is more intuitive to me. I haven't had a chance to test personally, but I understand Garmin's autorouting works better. But those things aren't as useful if I can't have all the maps I need and can't save all the tracks and waypoints I want.

Jamie

My 2 big items are:

1) A route created on the PC results in the exact same route on the GPS.

2) The fonts on the 76CS are made smaller for the data fields. With all 4 data fields on my GPS V, there was still plenty of map displayed. On the 76CS (and like units) with the 4 data fields, the map is at best 50% of the screen.

2) The fonts on the 76CS are made smaller for the data fields. With all 4 data fields on my GPS V, there was still plenty of map displayed. On the 76CS (and like units) with the 4 data fields, the map is at best 50% of the screen.

I second this one. Older units (the 76 I believe) offered font changes for data fields. I'm getting old, and I like the readability of the large fonts, but I'm not THAT old, and a choice would be nice. This should be easy to code, since it is already in older firmware somewhere.

I would ask them why they don't hire competent tech support people so that I don't have to post things like this:

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=89030

on message boards like this one.

Seriously, I've had nothing but disappointment in dealing with their technical support people. The ones that I have dealt with were either incompetent, clueless, or both.

I sent an email to Garmin containing a link to this thread! Here is the reply:

Thank you for contacting Garmin International. I will be happy to assist you

today. All of you have many great idea's on your forum and I will be glad to

forward this e-mail to our Product Development Team. The highest complement

a customer can give a company is to be concerned enough to offer suggestions

for improvement of a product. For this let me say on behalf of all of us

here at Garmin, Thank You!!!

Believe it or not, we do pass all suggestions on to our engineers for

consideration and in many cases incorporation into our products. While I can

not promise you that we will use them I can tell you that about 80% of the

suggestions we get are actually used in one way or another and are a very

big part of our product improvement program. If you have any further

questions or concerns please feel free to contact me at toll free

1-800-800-1020.

Again, thank you for your effort and concern for our products and have a

great day!

With as many suggestions for more/expandable memory, maybe they'll get the hint :(

Edited by Neo_Geo

Jamie

Edit: Also, using mapsource, I can get street level detail of a route from Detroit to San Francisco. That's a really long route....

But I agree. I just bought an MP3 player with 1 gig of memory for $160. And it's tiny. Memory is cheap and small. We should see units with 2 gig+ in the $500 range.

Someone mentioned bluetooth. I've thought before that waypoint swapping would be awesome. Bluetooth would be nice, but even if they had IR... then things like GPX Sonar and Cachemate could "beam" waypoints to the GPS and when you're out at an event or something with 20 some waypoints to enter, you could just beam them around.

That'd be awesome too :(

There's so many cool possibilities that haven't even been touched yet.

Bluetooth and or IR ... I like that one. It would be nice to be able to transfer to GPS from my pocket PC.

Hey aTeamTraen on a Rino you Find 'N Go -> Waypoints -> Either Choice -> Select the Waypoint -> Top Button on the Left -> Reposition Here

I have to agree with Welch, I would love a expansion slot for memory. Just put it behind a waterproof cover. And, as Tubemonkey stated, more internal memory.

Rubberhead, the Rino series already transfers information. I would like to see all the rest of the GPS units at least be able to transmit and receive on the FRS frequencies. Bluetooth is nice, but it is new technology for development, FRS is already developed and implemented, why not just spread it around? That would get part of what trippy1976 was asking for, but for streaming data wirelessly I can see bluetooth, not IR as it does not work as well in the outdoors.

Renegade Knight brought up 10,000 waypoints, what I would prefer is the ability to place the waypoints in the memory, with expansion cards, that would allow you to build memory cards for different functions. And I would have to include the ability to put the waypoints in groups or types also. Or a sort by type. Geobc brought up additional DB fields, that would be a good thing, especially if you allowed us to custom define and name them.

Jake - Team A.I. was talking about a larger wriststrap, how about a better place to attach them, maybe even a few places to put them. Not everybody is going to carry their GPS in the same place, and not always does the straps location work.

The Hermit Crabs talked about units shutting off. I am about to have to add some additional material inside my Rino in an effort to keep the batteries from shifting.

Pablo Mac brought up Mac support, I would like Linux support, Mac's are basically Linux recently, so you can kill both birds real close to each other.

As for Johnny Vegas and standard cables, I think that is what USB is suppose to do for Garmin. Now if they can just fix their little problems with it.

But, Courparangus has my number 1 complaint, recharge the batteries while in the unit. Get back to the Jeep, plug the unit in, and you can recharge and be ready for more caching when you get to the next area. And for them times when you are not going to get back near civilization how about a solar charger for the recharging ability?

As a truck driver who still has friends and family that run the whole nation I would like to see the ability to download POI's from companies like Truck Stops chains, Wal-Marts, Truck Dealers, and whoever all else wants to make a POI pack that you could load. That way you could get a listing of all the ATM's for you bank, all the Taco Bells, Starbucks, Burger Kings, or whoever else for your area/state from their websites.

And, for the Rino series, how about a way to dock the GPS in the vehicle and use a external antenna?

I recently upgraded from an emap to a gpsmap 76c and so far I'm fairly happy with the unit. But they seriously need some competent tech support. I recently sent my 3 e-mail to them trying to get an answer to a question and I keep getting a canned response back when someone FINALLY does answer, well at least they think they're answering. But then again, I never did receive a response back about the case cracking on another popular gpsr that I was considering to upgrade to.

I worked in tech support previously and know how boring it can be. They should read the entire mail and determine what the question / problem is and read what the user have attempted to correct the problem and not just copy and paste some canned reply.

I would ask Garmin to autoroute on the basemap, so having a limited amount of memory would be acceptable.... Oh wait... :( (The autorouting on the basemap does increase the usefulness of Garmins to Magellan. Try to autoroute from Jacksonville,FL to Seattle,WA on your Magellan)

No seriously, give us SD memory, Garmin.