How to download waypoints (again!)

gitarmac

I've already searched and found lots of info but I'm stuck. I'm a premium member, I think I jumped through all the right hoops and am signed in, do you have to sign in each time you want to download a waypoint?

I hooked up my gps and easygps has my units waypoints in a menu.

I go to the waypoint I want to download and pick "download waypoint". My only suggestion is to download it to my harddrive so I do.

How do you transfer it from the hardrive, to the easygps program, to my gps??

1) Download the .loc file to your hard drive (you've done that).

2) Open the file in EasyGPS. This will show just the single waypoint.

3) Send the waypoint (and only waypoints, to be sure you're not wiping out any maps, routes or tracks you might already have on your GPSr) to your unit using the Send button on the toolbar. It'll take a couple of seconds for a single waypoint.

That's it!

OK, I think I got it now. I'm wondering though, everytime I save a waypoint it opens up a new file. Is there a way to save multiple waypoints to the same file? So far I'm downloaded the single ones into my gps, then after Im done I opened a new file then told it to get the gps waypoints, then I save it. Hope this makes sense.

Are you downloading waypoints off of the website or are you doing pocket queries? Pocket queries are easier to do since your a premium member. Unless you are only wanting to download a few select ones.

If doing just select waypoints: select them and download them as a file to somewhere you can find. Then open EasyGPS. Open the file you just downloaded. Then go to the text toolbar and select "GPS" and then "Send Waypoints to GPS". They should download to your GPS, this is assuming you have your GPS connected to your computer.

For pocket queries it's the same way, except that you can select certain types of caches and it will send the file to your email. Save the file you get like you do the other way. If you are using a pocket pc or pda, be sure to select the gpx file extension when doing pocket queries. That type of file will work with both pda and gps. The .loc file is more or less for the gps.

If i have any of that wrong, someone please speak up.

Brian

As long as you're going to think anyway, think big. -Donald Trump

quote:
Originally posted by gitarmac:

OK, I think I got it now. I'm wondering though, everytime I save a waypoint it opens up a new file. Is there a way to save multiple waypoints to the same file? So far I'm downloaded the single ones into my gps, then after Im done I opened a new file then told it to get the gps waypoints, then I save it. Hope this makes sense.

Utopia will do that.

3608_2800.gif

"Don't mess with a geocacher. We know all the best places to hide a body."

quote:
Originally posted by Woodsters Outdoors:

Are you downloading waypoints off of the website or are you doing pocket queries? Pocket queries are easier to do since your a premium member. Unless you are only wanting to download a few select ones.

If doing just select waypoints: select them and download them as a file to somewhere you can find. Then open EasyGPS. Open the file you just downloaded. Then go to the text toolbar and select "GPS" and then "Send Waypoints to GPS". They should download to your GPS, this is assuming you have your GPS connected to your computer.

For pocket queries it's the same way, except that you can select certain types of caches and it will send the file to your email. Save the file you get like you do the other way. If you are using a pocket pc or pda, be sure to select the gpx file extension when doing pocket queries. That type of file will work with both pda and gps. The .loc file is more or less for the gps.

If i have any of that wrong, someone please speak up.

Brian

_As long as you're going to think anyway, think big. -Donald Trump_

i've downloaded Utopia, but I get an error message sasying the file is protected and will not install