How Do You Manage Your Waypoints?

c2rm

Hi

Newbie question here. I have a Legend and MapSource mapping. I have noticed that there are freeware and shareware applications for managing waypoints etc.

Are there any views on which is the best and why? Or even better, am I being really stupid (most likely) and I can do this with what I already have?

With only 7 finds, this is easy at the moment but when/if I reach the exalted heights of other cachers it will only get harder. I can't even organise my socks!

Thanks

Thanks folks

Indeed, an easy question but of course, what starts easy only gets........

I have downloaded GSAK and it is very colourful but I haven't as yet worked out about pocket queries etc and the help file doesn't appear to be working on the version I have.

Is there tutorial anywhere? Still quite easy I guess

Thanks

Newbie question here.  I have a Legend and MapSource mapping.  I have noticed that there are freeware and shareware applications for managing waypoints etc.

One thing to check: make sure that you have the latest version of Mapsource for PC. Check 'Help > About' ... the latest update is v6.5 dated 10/1/05, so lots of boxes in the shops still have 6.3

This version has a number of features which make it a lot easier to use with the geocaching GPX file format.

If you need the newer version, go HERE and follow the links.

Hth,

If I've been there it's a blue dot on the map, if I haven't it's a little red flag.

How do you change the little red flag to a little blue dot?

How often is the GUK download updated, because although my MM maps are satisfactorily covered with little red flags (or 'annoyingly', according to my other half), I have noticed that there are one or two recent(ish) ones missing.

If I've been there it's a blue dot on the map, if I haven't it's a little red flag.

How do you change the little red flag to a little blue dot?

How often is the GUK download updated, because although my MM maps are satisfactorily covered with little red flags (or 'annoyingly', according to my other half), I have noticed that there are one or two recent(ish) ones missing.

You can change it yourself by right clicking on the waypoint and then unselecting Lock Waypoint, you can then get into Waypoint Properties and change the icon.

Don't know how often the GC:UK downloads are updated as I tend to update only once per week and that seems enough for me.

Memory Map with complete OS maps of the country and GeocacheUK.com waypoint downloads.

great... but MM might be a little pricey for our newbie, unless rich! B)

C2rm,

It's worth spending a little time getting the hang of Pocket Queries - these extract a "search results" list of the selected cache details in .GPX format, which can then be opened using GSAK. As all the cache and waypoint details are then in GSAK, you can send them directly to your Legend. You can also use GSAK to show you the full cache listings of your selection off-line, and organise, extract and filter them. Fantastic!

If you want to try out the principle of this without using a PQ; do a normal search for geocaches (use Hide and Seek A Cache then do a search by Zip Code (i.e. postcode)), tick the box at the side of a few caches in the resulting list and press "Download Waypoints". Save the file "geocaching.loc" to your hard drive, then use GSAK to open it. The waypoints should be listed, and you can send them to the Legend. The Pocket Query method is the same, but you get full details of each cache rather than just the waypoint.

HH

Edited by Happy Humphrey

markandlynn

What a fantastic explanation - somebody has turned the light on. I have run my first pq and am now waiting for the result. My PDA is ready to go and I am changing the batteries in my torch as I need to go and try this tonight

thanks thanks thanks :huh::huh::P:D:D