Messing With Other Cacher's Minds

Sparrowhawk

Recently as I did maintenance on one of my caches, I found in that ammo box a rather evil-looking, largish, red-eyed, plastic gray rat.

After I did my cache maintenance, the rat would not fit back in. I wondered what the bleep am I going to do with a fake rat?

Then inspiration hit. ;)

That rat now serves as the cache "guardian". Ya find access the little (Groundspeak-compatible) hole where the cache hides. You remove the camo that hides the hole... and then there's this evil gray shape with red eyes staring up at you. :D

Hilarity has been ensuing ever since. :huh:

Anyone else have a practical joke to go with their cache? ;)

Edited by Sparrowhawk

We've got a cache around here that has a fake snake, I almost feel in the Wolf River when I looked down because I was standing on it!

One of my caches has several piles of parallel sticks piled up at the base of several trees near the cache (which is, of course, NOT covered by parallel sticks!)

I'm going to place a cache at a old abandoned rural church.

The church is about 1/8 mile off the main road and it has a graveyard on the far side of it.

I have been looking for idea's. ;)

The place looks really creepy. Like something you would see in a movie.

Broken windows, tall grass and weeds around it. There is a old broken iron fence around the graveyard, gives me the creeps just driving by it.

I'm looking to put fear in the minds of all who dear search for the cache.

I like the rat and snake idea.

I'm looking for something that is light activated and will make a loud, unpleasant and unexpected noise when the cache is opened and day light hits it.

I think it would be a awesome place for a night cache, but there is a farm house across the mile section and I think they may see the flashlights.

:huh:

Edited by Milbank

I once did a night cache on a business trip during which my headlamp batteries died while following the reflector trail. So, I raided my GPS to power up the headlamp and started running from marker to marker. After frantically thrashing around the cache site we determined the cache might be in a tall broken off tree. As I peered over the lip, I came nose to nose with a BIG (>18"), UGLY iguana with glowing eyes guarding the hidden ammo can stashed in the hollow treetop. The cache logs are full of great references to the "cache guardian :huh:." The last of my batteries died just as I finished signing the cache log, so I was then confronted with a trip back out of the woods with no light and no GPS (and for once, I had waypointed my rental car ;)). I had plenty of time during the trek out to reflect on the heart-stopping iguana experience to realize that even it is was real, at 30 degrees F, it wouldn't have moved very quickly ;).

This cache had a little bit of everything ... from a very well hidden first stage to a "decoy"(this had a small paper in it that simply said "you didnt' think it would be that easy now did you " ) second stage to a frightfull shock at the final, that is if you were brave enough to retreive it ... I just don't want to give to much away here .. but mostly BGF caches are very very clever indeed ...

Pesky Possum

Star

Edited by Team Tigger International

I have one cache hidden is a very spooky place and its at various times been guarded by real spiders, snakes, and rats, but this log really has me baffled. I have to assume someone left this guardian, but nothing in the logbbook or online hints at who might have done it.

December 26, 2004 by kasapearson (65 found)

Yes, this is very cool! For some reason, I didn't plan ahead and bring proper search equipment on the walk. Left it in the car. The only thing I had was a tiny micro light with a red bulb. Those of you that have found this can imagine how much help that was! Anyway, had almost given up when I discovered there was an area I hadn't examined. Proceeded very slowly and timidly (remember, I didn't have "proper" equipment). The box is in great condition, but I found a most interesting "travel bug" inside the box: a live bat! I can't believe that it would have been able to squeeze itself into the box. Did somebody put it there? Did it fall into the box when somebody wasn't looking? He appeared to be "plump" enough that he hadn't been trapped there. Or if he was trapped, it hadn't been very long. Anyway, he wasn't moving around much. Almost like he was hibernating. I tossed him out to an area away from the cache. I don't think he'll return. Again, I can't believe it would be possible for him to squeeze himself into the box. I took nothing from the cache (except the bat), and left a furry "Thing" doll. TFTC.

i've always wanted to leave a cache far off in the deep woods and surround the entire area with those little hanging witchcraftesque sculptures from "the blair witch project" you know the little ones that look like stick figures that are hanging from all the trees...

i figure that would make for a fun night cache....only no good locations around here

i've always wanted to leave a cache far off in the deep woods and surround the entire area with those little hanging witchcraftesque sculptures from "the blair witch project" you know the little ones that look like stick figures that are hanging from all the trees...

i figure that would make for a fun night cache....only no good locations around here

I like it..... :huh:

I have a lifesize Tarantula TB I placed in a cache that scared the crap out of someone. :huh:

I also opened a cache in Arizona that had a springloaded rattle snake pop out that scared the crap out of me! ;)

I found a cache called "Beware of snakes." When my wife opened the container, one of the snakes hit me in the face.

When I can find someone with more advanced electronics skill, I plan on doing a cache that uses a pressure switch. When the cache container is lifted, a blood curdling scream will go off. This will be on a night cache.

I have one that is in a fur cover fake rat that I found last holloween, I bought a bunch of them for replacements if need, he even survived a flood and looks better all wet. :huh:

Another of my favorites that I have is inside a fake dog turd by a dog park, that one even came up missing once (Who steals turds) ;) Now I keep extras on hand.

When I can find someone with more advanced electronics skill, I plan on doing a cache that uses a pressure switch. When the cache container is lifted, a blood curdling scream will go off. This will be on a night cache.

I have an electronic skull that activates when moved, and its fairly sensitive. It came on a plastic staff my wife got for me for halloween, and is removeable. When activated, its move moves, the eyes light up, and it screams at you and then kinda wierd chant. Best part of all is that it will fit into an ammo can. B)

We found one in a narrow cave, you had to crawl and about twenty five feet back the cache was sitting on a ledge up and behind you. There was a rock sitting in front of it, presumably to hide it. When you move the rock it starts singing, "Old time Rock and Roll" very loudly. You can imagine how shocking that was.

Reposting something I said sometime last year:

I once had an idea for such a cache. The cache page would mention that you had to be REEEEEAAL careful because there was some sort of criminal scare going on in the area, so the cops would be more alert than usual.

So you find the thing, all seems well and quiet. You start going thru the cache... then a police siren BLARES at you for two seconds from right behind you somewhere. You go into orbit, stuff the cache back into place, look around... no one there.

After your heart calms down, you try again...

What you DON'T know is that a movement detection switch, a radio transmitter, and battery setup, all hidden in a false bottom of the ammo can...

...and not far away is a hidden radio receiver, a delay timer, large battery and a siren...

I also opened a cache in Arizona that had a springloaded rattle snake pop out that scared the crap out of me! B)

I found a cache called "Beware of snakes." When my wife opened the container, one of the snakes hit me in the face.

Yep, I also found one of these, in Central Florida. Seems all the previous logs were cleverly written to conceal the outcome (although in hindsight, the "left soiled underwear" log comments should have been a clue!), so like all other finders, I got the cr*p startled out of me upon opening it.

-Dave R.

Recently as I did maintenance on one of my caches, I found in that ammo box a rather evil-looking, largish, red-eyed, plastic gray rat.

After I did my cache maintenance, the rat would not fit back in. I wondered what the bleep am I going to do with a fake rat?

Heh...I found some rats like that at a dollar store recently... I bought one because it looked like my pet rat, and then I bought another for fun. I was thinking of putting it in a cache heheh... Guess someone beat me to the idea!

Locally (Raleigh NC), the master of rubber critters & spring-loaded containers is wimseyguy . . . you start to look for critters rather than normal containers on his placements.

Recently, I found a cache in a hollow log end that was guarded by a real live copperhead who was rather unhappy to be disturbed . . . BUT, had to sign the log - so, he had to go. Fortunately, most snakes would rather leave than be hassled.

But, it can still get your pulse rate up . . . the reason I poke with my caching stick rather than reaching in with hands. This, though, is Carolina caching - we have them all - snakes, ticks, spiders, red bugs, mosquities AND rubber critters, too.

Edited by GRANPA ALEX

An inexpensive electronic idea for a night cache is to use small LED (light emitting diodes) in a miniature RC time constant circuit, runs for months on a single AAA battery.

An RC time constant circuit is using a resistor & a capacitor in a closed loop circuit with the diode. As the capacitor builds up a charge to it's storage limit, it empties through the resisitor & diode causin the LED to blink . . . the rate of the blink is determined by the ratio of the #ohms of the resistor to the capacity of the capacitor (time constant). It can blink in intervals seconds or minutes or much longer intervals - you choose through the components you elect.

Walking through the woods, a hunter would have to turn OFF the flash light to see the blinks . . . it can NOT be seen in the daylight. I believe any electronics store can help one create these using different color lights for different orders on the hunt. I am only waiting for a good location to use one of these . . . should be fun!

Edited by GRANPA ALEX

Been there, done that... :P

(Now hurry up and do another one so I can find it!!) :D

Don't worry Andy, I have been hard at work with spray foam and paint creating new caches. I'll start planting them soon.