Cache for paddlers?

littlefrog

I an new to geocaching (3 finds so far), so of course I plan to get many more finds under my belt before I attempt to hide one of my own. However I am curious about the feasibility of setting up a cache on a undeveloped small (about 1/2 acre) island at a local lake (city owned). Assuming I get permission to hide the cache there, would this be a good idea? We can paddle year-round due to the mild climate in my area, so paddling is very popular.

I also do a lot of paddling/backcountry camping at a lake in a nearby National Forest. I read somewhere that caching on federal lands is prohibited, does that include national forests?

The island cache sounds great. There are a number of those already, and they can be pretty cool. Obviously, they are going to have fewer hits because they will be pretty much off limits to non-paddlers. But that's OK. If you wanted to create a cache that was easy, you would have done a drive-by.

[This message was edited by sbell111 on May 16, 2002 at 09:42 AM.]

quote:
Originally posted by sbell111:

The island cache sounds great. There are a number of those already, and they can be pretty cool. Obviously, they are going to have fewer hits because they will be pretty much off limits to non-paddlers. But that's OK. If you wanted to create a cache that was easy, you would have done a drive-by.

National forests are out. Sorry.

There is nothing wrong with a national forest.

george

Mr. Science,

What exactly do you mean "National Forests are "out""? Out how?

Could you possibly point me to an offical federal cite/site that specifically prohibits caching in the Uwharrie National Forest, located in south-central North Carolina? Most of the forest is located around Badin Lake, which is a very popular backcountry camping destination.

Thanks,

LF

BTW, island caches are great. I have one on an island in Saginaw bay, no hits since it was hidden in Sept. Found one in Lake Erie on a tiny isl 2 mi from shore. Would like to hide some on the eastern shore of Georgian Bay in Lk Huron. There's over 30,000 islands there, some say 66,000. Great area for paddling. Have fun hiding yours.

Having just personally placed what appears to be one of only two or three caches in the world only reachable with SCUBA gear I fully expect not to get many hits, but that's why they're higher degrees of difficulty. Go for it and monitor the cache. If somebody does try and find it, go out of your way to congratulate them via e-mail or support them if they have trouble.

Geocachers seem to be a tight community and it was so weird that within 8 hours of creating "Chelan SCUBA Cache" I got an e-mail from the guy that created "The Rapture of the Deep" congratulating me for creating it. Even funnier was that I had done a search for "SCUBA" before I placed my cache and found his thousands of miles from my home.

Trick will be naming it. What word would other paddlers search for? If it's "paddler" or something like that I'd make sure and include it somewhere in the cache name.

Enjoy icon_rolleyes.gif

Having just personally placed what appears to be one of only two or three caches in the world only reachable with SCUBA gear I fully expect not to get many hits, but that's why they're higher degrees of difficulty. Go for it and monitor the cache. If somebody does try and find it, go out of your way to congratulate them via e-mail or support them if they have trouble.

Geocachers seem to be a tight community and it was so weird that within 8 hours of creating "Chelan SCUBA Cache" I got an e-mail from the guy that created "The Rapture of the Deep" congratulating me for creating it. Even funnier was that I had done a search for "SCUBA" before I placed my cache and found his thousands of miles from my home.

Trick will be naming it. What word would other paddlers search for? If it's "paddler" or something like that I'd make sure and include it somewhere in the cache name.

Enjoy icon_rolleyes.gif

quote:
Originally posted by TriCityGuy:

Good point. Our region is loosely called the "Piedmont", so maybe it'll be something like Piedmont Paddler's Puzzle" or something like that.

Thanks for the encouragement!

LF

p.s. How much are those ammo boxes going for, used at a surplus place? We have an army-navy store here in town. I really liked the cache I found yesterday that used an ammo box, it was very sturdy and waterproof too.

[This message was edited by littlefrog on May 14, 2002 at 07:32 PM.]

If you include the term "hydrocache" in the page somewhere, it'll be all the better. A hydrocache is any cache that you have to go in, on, or under the water to get to, and it's not likely to be found anywhere other than geocaching discussions (unless someone besides myself coined it independantly).

If at some point we get the ability to search the descriptions by keywords, it'll make it really easy to find. Plus, it just sounds neat. icon_wink.gif

If you want to take a look at a list of lots of hydrocaches, see Hydrocaching list..., although I *really* need to pull it back to the top of the list and update it (a lot).

If you include the term "hydrocache" in the page somewhere, it'll be all the better. A hydrocache is any cache that you have to go in, on, or under the water to get to, and it's not likely to be found anywhere other than geocaching discussions (unless someone besides myself coined it independantly).

If at some point we get the ability to search the descriptions by keywords, it'll make it really easy to find. Plus, it just sounds neat. icon_wink.gif

If you want to take a look at a list of lots of hydrocaches, see Hydrocaching list..., although I *really* need to pull it back to the top of the list and update it (a lot).

An island cache works, but doesn't get that much attention.

I have one placed on an island in a river. So far, there has been two visitors, one with a canoe, the other with wading boots. Finding a way that works with boots isn't easy, though. The river is a little too deep for that, although it's possible, at least when the water level is low.

Last winter, the cache became more accessible, since nature placed a fallen tree across one of the arms of the river. There, you can climb over that part of the river without getting wet, if you are fit like a monkey.

We used wetsuits when placing it there, so there are a lot of different methods that are possible.

This is the cache.

Anders

One giveaway is the name (e.g. Yellowstone National Park, Ocala National Forest). Not sure about BLM land, but it's mostly Federal public land that doesn't fall into the other two.

Check out their website at www.blm.gov

To cloud things a bit more, there are also National Grasslands, National Recreation Areas and National Monuments and National Historic Sites. I believe the last 3 are run by the Park Service, so fall under National Park Rules, but a National Grassland is similar to a National Forest

I scoped out a place for my first cache last weekend. Yup, on an island in a river.

Canoe, Kayak, or boat... no other way to get there. I know it's gonna be hit less often that way, but I plan on making it all the more nicer as a reward to those intrepid enough to tie up to those rocks.

It's a beautiful place too.... and the fishing is great...