Memory And Maps

sloigo

I just got my Magellan Meridian Platinum tonight. I did not buy anything extra with it. The mapping software software they advertise is Mapsend topo and streets. The flash card they advertise were magillian stickered, 8,64 or 128 mb versions of the sandisk cards. Looking at the slot, I believe it is the mini disk rather that the larger one I use in my HP camera. The instruction book doesnot have ONE word about memory requirements. Some help here please!!! :rolleyes:

I have the National Geographics California (10)cd topo maps and Topo! Streets and 3-D views that gives you a fly by view of the topos. This says that it supportd the Magellan products.

I also have the Microsort Streets and Trips 2005 that has a pocket version of the software in it.

1. I currently use them on my PC Laptop. Are any of these usable in my Magillan?

2. Costco, has a 512mb flash mini for $65. How much memory do I really need?

Right now I am going to use the unit for Geocaching, but eventually I plan a 30 mi backpacking trip this spring.

I use the Magellan Meridian green and it uses Secure Digital cards. On Magellan's website, it says that the Platinum uses Secure Digital cards also. You do not need the Magellan brand SD card. I have a Lexar 64MB SD card and using Mapsend Street and Destinations, I'm able to load different maps onto it. Basically, I save the map to my hard drive and then use a card reader to transfer it to my SD card. By renaming the maps, I'm able to put several maps onto the card.

I'm not sure about the other software you mention. You might want to post this under the SF Bay Area Geocachers thread in the West regional forum. There are many cachers in this area that could help you with any questions you might have.

Welcome to the sport. Happy caching!

Thanks for the information. I had two different stores tell me that the "SD Disk" meant "San Disk" rather than "secure digital" as you pointed out. All of the people I met in the stores are sales people with no knowledge of what they are selling. Unfortunately I still have no concept of memory requirement needs. I love this forum - there are so many peopl out there willing to help.

I am about 80 mi south of San Francisco in Hollister California and would like to find other Geocachers or clubs in my area. I will look into the SF Bay area club.

I also use a Magellan Meridian (Gold) I believe the map software instructions are included with the Magellan software. If you would like to load a map onto the card and use that map on the screen of your Meridian, you must use Magellan software. While NG topo and Streets and Trips fine softwares (I have both) you cannot load these maps onto the Magellan GPS. As far as the Magellan software is concerned, if you want point to point auto routing your only choice is Map send Direct Route, this is street map software. If you want topography then you want Magellan Map Send topo. If you want both streets and topography and you are on a budget, then go with Map Send Topo, Magellans map send topo inculdes streeta and street names but the POI with not include anything like hotels, gas satations etc. DO NOT bother with Map send streets and destinations, this is old software and is not very good compared to Map Send Direct Route.

I use San Disk cards in mine, they will work just find.

Thanks for the information. I had two different stores tell me that the "SD Disk" meant "San Disk" rather than "secure digital" as you pointed out.

I am about 80 mi south of San Francisco in Hollister California and would like to find other Geocachers or clubs in my area. I will look into the SF Bay area club.

Sounds like radio shack :rolleyes::o

This is a link to the Bay Area Geocaching group

BAGDGES

I just got my Magellan Meridian Platinum tonight.  I did not buy anything extra with it.  The mapping software software they advertise is Mapsend topo and streets.  The flash card they advertise were magillian stickered, 8,64 or 128 mb versions of the sandisk cards.  Looking at the slot, I believe it is the mini disk rather that the larger one I use in my HP camera.  The instruction book doesnot have ONE word about memory requirements.  Some help here please!!!  :rolleyes:

Magellan units are limitted to 64mb chunks. You can use a larger memory card, but the area of map you can have loaded is 64mb. You can load multiple areas, but have to manually switch between them. As far as memory requirements it is dependant upon the map software. With Topo I can get all of Wisconsin in 16mb. All of California, most of Nevada and a bit of Arizona fit is 60mb. With Direct Route (Magellan's auto routing software for the gold and color units) the maps data is much larger and Wisconsin takes 27mb and the same area of Cali, Az and NV takes 72mb. Streets will probably (I am guessing as I dont have it) take somewhere inbetween.

I have the National Geographics California (10)cd topo maps and Topo! Streets and 3-D views that gives you a fly by view of the topos.  This says that it supportd the Magellan products.  I also have the Microsort Streets and Trips 2005 that has a pocket version of the software in it.

If you want to load maps into your unit only Magellan software will work (same with Garmin). The 3rd party software can load waypoints to and from your unit which is what they mean by 'supported'.

1.  I currently use them on my PC Laptop.  Are any of these usable in my Magillan?

See above, they are all usable, but you cannot load the maps into the unit.

2.  Costco, has a 512mb flash mini for $65.  How much memory do I really need? 

Right now I am going to use the unit for Geocaching, but eventually I plan a 30 mi backpacking trip this spring.

More than likely a cheap 64mb card will be all you need, but see the map sizes Ilisted above to better guage your actual needs.

Well, I went to REI tonight and bought some mo things. The link to the SF Bay Area Cachers mentioned above did not come thru. I looked at the Western regional cachers site and read most of the 78 pages of the forum thread and never did see any reference to a meeting in Alamo on Friday. Alamo is about 100 mi each way from me so I don't know if I could go anyway. I saw a silicon Valley CC mentioned and I signed up for them this morning, but have not heard back from them. I appreciate the help with the memory cards etc.. This forum is a great place for us newbie tadpoles, although I am an awfully big tadpole. Go Figure. BEAR :huh:

The trip to REI was more inlightening than my trip to Wallymart in Gilroy where they had a new Gold unit that was SO shop worn that it would have to be sold as poor condition used, and Big 5 in Salinas where the sun don't shine and the clerks have to wear kevlar. "Wanta buy a gun little boy?" I bought a "Essential Geocaching" book, a pouch for my unit, and a dc car adaptor. It was either that or get some stock in Rayovac. Next is a memory card. but it is about time to get serious at finding my first cach or two. I am hoping the two groups I signed up will have some meetings, or coffee's or something. We will see. :huh: