Pocket Pc Usage?

DBleess

Okay, my original Palm M130 worked pretty good. When it gave up the ghost I went to the Tungsten T3. Bad design. The battery is underpowered for the unit and not easily user replacable. I might have an internal short or something because it started appearing to not hold a charge. I figured it was the battery so I found out how to replace it and got parts. Once I did get it replaced, the unit does the same thing with the new battery as the old so it is an internal problem.

Unit is out of warranty, and not worth fighting. Hello pocket pc.

Any enlightened experiences from the pocket pc users out there to get me started? Also, what sites are out there with usage education, software, procedures and processes that apply to geocaching and benchmark hunting?

What works and what doesn't?

-Thanks

Here's my take on it so far... it sync's up easier. You don't have to spin a web page with anything... merely save it to disk, drag and drop it into a directory and you're good to go.

I started using an IPaq. With GSAK's ability to spin the info into a folder of connected html pages, I can drag that folder into the PPC and it's easily readable without conversion. Same with pictures, documents, and spreadsheets.

The IPaq's battery is changeable in the field... although mine seems to last at full blast for +6 hours with the wireless enabled so that's not a worry anymore.

Handwriting recognition is much better than the Palm's ever was (at least when comparing with my now retired M130).

It came with a built-in keyboard so I can thumb type my notes if I have to.

It has a recorder so I can voice my notes on the run.

And changing the background is a breeze... I now have my avatar on it.

Am I happy with it? Bet on it.

I have the now discontinued Ipaq 2210 , I have only Had it since Chrismas , but absolutely love it , the range of software available gets better everyday. Sync in a breeze.

Battery seems to go on forever even with bluetooth connected. Plus the benefits of having a SD & a CF slot is a real bonus.

I would buy pocket PC everytime.

I currently testing GPXSonar , GPS Tuner , and tomtom navigator.

CrazyCucumber.

I have a Palm IIIxi that I dont use because it is to HARD to get gpx files into compared to my Dell Axim X5. With the X5 I just drag and drop the gpx file from my PC into a folder on my X%. I also have a 3.8 amphr batter that will last for 14+ hours of usage. AXIMSITE.com is a good site for the Asim as well as just general info. They even have a section on PPC and GPSs. So the long and short of it is the PPC is superior to the palm units, thought I dont have muche experiance with Palms I have read enough to not bother using my Palm IIIxi.

cheers

This is still the best and most comprehensive software review/how to I've found for paperless caching w/ a PPC.

Maryland Geocaching Society

I use GSAK on my PC to load into GPX Sonar on the PPC.

I also have Mapopolis on my PPC. There is a free software that will convert GPX files to Mapopolis Map files, but that's all detailed in the link.

Thanks for linking to our site. That page is a little bit out of date but most the info should still be pretty relevant. It's on my long list of things to update soon.

:huh:

Thanks for linking to our site. That page is a little bit out of date but most the info should still be pretty relevant. It's on my long list of things to update soon.

:D

I would add a review for GSAK export to html.. That seems the cleanest to me. I used to user gpxsonar but switched to GSAK only. i just use notepad to write down the naem of the cache found, and update it later. Then again, if I were power caching >10/day gpxsonar would be my pick....

I use an Axim 30 with GPXSonar and MS Streets and Trips. Using this combo, I have been able to go complete paperless and it is pain free. I use GSAK to manage my files on my desktop and to layout my caching trips.

I have the Axim, GPX Sonar, and MS Streets and Trips.

Do you see the caches on the S & T maps? If so, how?

Be sure to get the trial versions of any of the commerical geocaching programs before plunking down your money! You want to ensure compatibility with your GPS and other software. That being said, here's my software/hardware profile of geocaching and navigation:

* Hardware

o PDA: HP iPAQ 4155 Pocket PC

o GPS: HAiCOM 303s CF (compact flash) and 404BT Bluetooth slipper

+ Arkon Vent Mount for PDA (came with GPS)

+ Windshield mount magnetic mount for Bluetooth slipper (came with GPS)

+ HAiCOM External Antenna with magnetic base

o Belkin FT8001 Bluetooth USB Adapter (when I want to wirelessly use the GPS with my laptop)

o Sliva Navigator compass

* Software

o For the Pocket PC

+ GPXsonar (also creates LOC for other programs, and pushpins for Pocket Streets)

+ GPS Tuner by Megalith

+ MS Pocket Streets (free with MS Streets & Trips 2005)

+ iNAV iGuidance (came with the GPS)

+ Vito Navigator II

o For the Laptop

+ iNAV iGuidance (came with the GPS)

+ MS Streets & Trips 2005

+ GSAK to create push pins for S&T

+ GPSBabel

+ EZDetach, PKZIP. and MightySync (automatically extract Pocket Queries (GPX's) from emails and synchronize to Pocket PC's Storage Card)

* Other Stuff I Usually Take

o Canon S50 Powershot digital camera

This looks the perfect place to ask a question or two about my PPC and GPX Sonar.

I have an iPAQ PPC 2200 and am working toward paperless caching. I use GSAK and am trying to work with GPX Sonar. It looks like a good choice, but I am having a difficult time getting the information from my PC to my PPC. I have GPX Sonar installed on the PPC. Do I need to install it on my PC as well and send info from GSAK to GPX Sonar on my PC and then to the PPC? Or do I send the information from GSAK directly to my PPC? Would someone be kind enough to outline the steps that I should take to transfer the information from my PC to my PPC?

Thanks a million!! Beach Comber

Thanks! I am inching my way forward on this project. I am able to see the files in gpx sonar on my ppc, however I was directed to export them to the ppc in html format by a fellow cacher. I am getting an error message and want to delete these caches that I imported and then re-import them using the gpx format. How do I delete these in gpxsonar?