Murder Investigation

tnfishdaddy

I went out Friday to place a new cache (Lone Pine Gap) on a desolate mountain top. Didn't think much about it until today. The front page of the newspaper is talking about a murder investigation where I was. I missed it by an hour to 2 hours top. I called a buddy of mine who is a police officer and told him the story and he started questioning me. I hadn't passed anybody going in or out. They found a car "riddled" with bullet holes and a person inside. They had one guy in custody and were looking for another. Kinda scary. It is a narrow road with only one way in and one way out. Just another chapter in my geocaching adventures. My wife and a couple of her buddies at work have a running joke about my midadventures. As soon as she found out about this one, she just had to call them. She couldn't wait until tomorrow. Anybody else have any close encounters like this one?

Nothing like your encounter .

However we did come across a shady character one day wilst caching . Was just myself (Star) along with Awsome Ev . Wulf was off working or some such thing. The two of us girls went into a park and met a shady character who kept thinking we might like a shower at the campground .... Mind you this was early fall . We did not need showers or the like as we were going home that evening. We did report this stranger .. just in case.

Star

Yuck...I hope I never have to report finding a body. I spend most of my free time in the woods and I've stumbled on car thieves burning a vehicle (they ran like h*ll), teenagers planting dope (they tried to sell me some - no thanks :huh: ), red neck white-trash dumping garbage ( ;) outnumbered as usual, had to smile & wave), a drunken red neck who crashed his truck in the ditch (I made sure he was alive and called the mounties), and surprised a few love-struck teenagers who thought they were in the most remote place possible (um, not quite). I've also bailed out a few people who were stuck in the middle of nowhere and didn't have a cell phone until I showed up.

That's what makes it an adventure every time...the unknown.

Yesterday, a body was found in a park where we have an 8 stage multi. Depending on the exact location, a crime scene search may very well turn up one of the stages. With all the gc info on them, I expect to be getting a call from the authorities.

PS

I am still trying to find more info on this. It just happened, so later in the week, I may know more.

The guy apparently slipped on ice and got knocked out. He froze to death after that. The temp was 5 degrees and a windchill of - 10. He went for hike in the early morning, alone, and not dressed properly for the conditions.

BE CAREFUL OUT THERE CACHERS! B)

I spent last weekend 'caching in Moncton, New Brunswick. On Saturday night I did two caches in the Berry Mills area (small rural community). The Sunday afternoon news reported the deaths of two locals, who had driven their van into a brook that night and, presumably, died of exposure.

I wish I had seen the vehicle - I might have been able to do something...

I'm a police officer and I got into GCing by catching a team in a cemetery. They were great in explaining the hobby and we keep in touch.

Folks have to understand that you know what you're up to but most cops don't. You don't know what experiences might lead one to be more suspicious or harsh than another. The best course of action when caught is be straight with them. (I haven't met one yet who has a sense of humor when it comes to being lied to.) :grin:

Here's my first encounter with cacher catching.Cacher in Custody

The only thing I happened upon was a couple having some adult fun near a cache site .

GCG9W3 $ Origami III

April 9, 2004 by c88m (50 found)

Pretty easy to find had to wait for a couple to finish their fun <_< before I could goto the cache . This was the second one in under an hour the first was at 2:45pm (holiday cache) .

Anybody else have any close encounters like this one?

We walked through a pot farm a couple years back while caching. My wife said several times that she thought it was dupe, but I simply replied that it was stinging nettle (which does grow there). About a month later, it was in the local news that a large pot farm was found in the state park.

I have a close friend that stopped at a rest stop to cache and ended up finding a couple large bricks of Meth. It delayed his trip by a few hours because he had to convince the keystone-cops he'd found the junk... and then explain what he was really looking for. He did find the cache too but was worried about logging the find in fear of retribution.

I read about a dude in San Jose that was caching when a muggle asked him to verify something in the bushes. ''Yep'' he said, ''It's a dead body''. No FTF was logged here either.

Another group of cachers were minding their own business when a ruthless killer had his monkeys stop them and bring them over to him... It was the new Governor of Coly-for-knee-a [Arnold Schwarzenegger] and he wanted to know what they where doing. <_<

Edited by Green Achers

Have to be careful when you come across pot in the woods. A lot of those "farmers" are armed, set booby-traps, and will not hesitate to protect their crops.

My only illicit caching moment was over a year ago, when I found a broken crack pipe, among other trash, in a cache in the woods. Ew.

A Large Group of Cachers From Pocatello idaho decided to go on a big adventure in the hills. We did alot of hiking and hidding and driving... we got to the top of one of our highest peaks... aboug 5 of 6 of us had 4X4's pulling up to the top and there was a loan jeep up there with a completly nude couple inside... One of our caches went up and knocked on the window... Boy i bet they were embarassed and shocked to see anyone up there... expecialy like 20 of us... haha they will always have a good story to tell.... or just me :(

When I was laying out my cache http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...4f-a4c3497e16cc I was on my motorcycle, and as I approached the road I wanted to turn on to get to the park, I saw a cop car coming toward me. The cop car turned on the road I was going to take. Well, I got to the parking lot and saw just a bit up the road the cop car, a fire truck and an ambulance. I saw someone trot out of the woods and grab a Stokes basket and head back into the woods. This park has lots of cliffs, and several people fall every year - most of them drunk or stupid. Anyway, being a firefighter myself, I got off my bike and wandered up the path the guy went with the Stokes. Sure enough, two girls in their early 20s were goofing around at the top of one of the waterfalls, and one fell about 30 feet into the creek and rocks below. The other one was soaked, having slid down and tried to check on her friend. By the time I got there the FD and ambulance people were getting the fallen girl into the Stokes. I identified myself and asked if there was anything I could do. Someone asked me to interview the friend and get a medical history and other information on the girl. I did that, and helped carry the Stokes out of the park. The trail was rocky enough that we'd have two people in front, four people carrying the Stokes, and two more at the rear. When we got to a tight spot, the Stokes was handed forward to the two in front, and the two who had been carrying the front now carried the back. At the next wide spot more people would go to the front of the group. I never heard any more about the girl, other than that she was life-flighted to the hospital, but the park rangers there did phone me the next day to thank me for my help.

We've seen some interesting oddities out on the trail such as burgled safes and we've encountered some interesting life forms such as leeches, but this was our first brush with unusal deceased things...

Ski decides to drop 9 caches in a preserve that is less than 10 miles from our house and we decide to give them a try (knowing it would take a few trips as a few of the hikes were on a 4 mi. loop and we aint in the best of shape!!)

Cache Hikes 1 & 2: Not a blessed thing out of the ordinary to report. Life is good!

Cache Hike 3: We arrive. Unfortunately, unhappy Mr. NJ State Policemen and bystander have arrived prior to us! We leave. We come back 2 minutes later to report that "we were just there yesterday and left at 6:30 PM and saw nothing out of the ordinary" (okay, we really went back to find out why they were there in our sneaky, socially experimental kind of way). The police are professional and tight-lipped. Hmmmm.... We see big, full trash bags by the side of the road. Uh oh! The bystander says - "You're just hiking, go right ahead." So we do.

We get 1/2 mile down the trail..."Hey, Hon, did we lock the car?" Uh oh - no one can remember!! So I and Chicklets proceed onward, whilst EC backtracks. He gets back to the car (and yes, it's locked). Now he's gotta try and catch up with us - because cachers wait for no one! EC gets a break when he spies the bystander unlocking the gate to the preserve - he appears to be driving in! "Hey, buddy - can I get a lift back to my family? They've left me in the dust by now" EC pleads. The bystander agrees after some initial hesitation (I guess whining and looking pathetic pays off sometimes!) On the short drive to catch up to us cachers, EC finds out that he is a volunteer with the preserve and is a herpetologist. He confides what the police were interested in..."those trash bags....were full of mutilated animals."

/sarcasm Woo - here we are unknowing troop of female cachers - all alone, unprotected while animal-mutilating sicko psychopaths are in the area making a pet cemetary. Special. (EC was wondering if my life insurance paid up though, I bet!) /end sarcasm

EC catches up to us and we manage to find 2 of the 3 caches and head out (reaching the car just as the last rays of sun were going down.) Needless to say we wanted to be out of there before the pet undertakers returned. (As far as we know, it was a one-time thing)

Mother Hen of EC5