Most Cleverly Disguised Cache

Snooch and Meme

I had to find a ceramic pine cone in a pine tree. It was camouflaged to perfection. Luckily I went at the right time of year when all the pine cones had fallen off the tree! Another one had me looking for a ceramic rock that was hollowed out. It was placed along the side of the trail among many many other stones. There were a few other clever ones, but these two stand out.

honestly.. i think they are cool ideas.. but it really upsets me when i look for hours and can't find a cache... hiding a cache cleaverly is one thing.. but making me search and search while the wife is calling the cellphone really annoys me! :rolleyes:

OMG we are married to the same woman! my wife is the same way. i would go play 9 of golf and never fail, on the seventh hole....ring....

That is the problem with clever caches if you tell then they are nolonger clever. But since you ask and since it is archived I use a campain sign from the past elections. The sign was just a plastic bag over a wireframe and I simply used some velcro to stick a baggie with a log sheet and pen inside the campain sign. I took great pride in it as one of our area FTFers took tow tries to find it. But what I find is coming up with an idea is half the fun. Just look around any and imagine the possibilites. Though you have to think of longevity, safety of the cachers environmental impact etc.... so alot goes into placing a cache besides just a neat contaieer.

cheers

Dunno... I'm pretty new to Geocaching, but I've already decided that I like quality versus quantity. I did a Letterbox hybrid a couple weeks ago that the whole family really enjoyed. So, we'll do at least one cache a weekend... that's not very many, but we get to do it as a team. I play close attention to the rating scores. If I don't want to be out there for hours, or even over night, then I don't go after the 5 difficulty ratings with the family. Of course, I'll have to get a few of those on my own. Here is a rating system to help you determine the difficulty of your cache.

http://clayjar.com/gcrs/

Now, I've been planning my first cache for a couple of weeks. That said, I'm taking the advice on the fourm and GC website about getting a few more finds before placing anything. Right now, I'm looking at the area where my cache will be and I've discovered that the location really helps shape your plans and ideas. If you build the box first, you are limiting yourself later. My first cache will be a letterbox multi-cache... I'm just getting ideas and confirming coordinates on different days to make sure I get it right.

I guess how you define "creative" depends on where you are. I've seen so many fake sprinklers, fake rocks, and fake plants in my area that they begin to border on the mundane. Figure out what there aren't any of in your locale and do that. Look at how the typical cache is hidden in your area and hide it somewhere else. Bear in mind, of course, that the more intricate your disguise is, the more delicate (and high-maintenance) the cache is likely to be.

Dunno... I'm pretty new to Geocaching, but I've already decided that I like quality versus quantity.

I concur. I do most of my geocaching with my 10 year old granddaughter. After some really hard (for us) and neat caches we found this weekend, we are going to work on some really quality caches, even if it takes us a month or so.

I guess how you define "creative" depends on where you are. I've seen so many fake sprinklers, fake rocks, and fake plants in my area that they begin to border on the mundane. Figure out what there aren't any of in your locale and do that

Exactly! Around here a good paint job on an ammo can is creative. The fake item craze and Walmart lamp pole cache hasn't really hit this area, but while geocaching 400 miles away I recently bagged my first Walmart lamp post AND fake sprinkler head cache in the same day.

The best disguised is sometimes the most obvious. One I recently found was a pill bottle capped with a beer bottlecap. the cache was place in loose dirt behind a retaining wall so that only the bottle cap was visible. I went by it several times pulling the hair out of my head wondering where the heck the cahce was. :rolleyes: My 8 year old daughter who has a kids tendancy to grab anything she sees pulled what I had dismissed as litter out and made the find. :o Judging by some other posts I wasn't the only one scrating my head on this one. Very clever hide IMHO

Rick

Team SaguaroAstro

I found a rock that wasn't a rock. Someone spent a lot of time making it. Weighed almost as much as a rock too, so it was hard to figure out.

this was almost the case with a micro that gave me fits except it was not a fake rock...it was real lime stone that he had drilled into and inserted a white 35mm cannister into which shouldnt be that bad except when i first tryed to find it the bottom of the rock was covered with frost and snow from the ice storm we were hit with jan 4 :ph34r:

<_< Here's an example of what I foun today. A City Park surrounded by dense woods. THe Cache was in the woods, and covered by a couple of fallen tree branches, but just enough to conceal 3/4s of the Cache!

As you are standing near the Cache you look around, and finally see something poking out of natural surroundings!

There it is...!

Easy. Walk to any given location. Look around. What do you see? Can you make something to blend in with the particular surroundings? This is the best way to hide a cache.

When I am hiding stuff I try and bring along a can of spray adhesive. Spray the container with the adhesive and stick whatever local "color" is lying around onto it.

Semper Fi

We are having fun trying to find tupperware containers !

We will eventually hide a cache and then we will be seeking the devious minds that dream up some the nefarious hiding places I have seen posted here on the forums. For now, we will try and get better at seeking, the hiding, should follow naturally, I hope. :)

honestly.. i think they are cool ideas.. but it really upsets me when i look for hours and can't find a cache... hiding a cache cleaverly is one thing.. but making me search and search while the wife is calling the cellphone really annoys me! <_<

Take the wife along with you - like I do - hoping she'll fall over a cliff or something - lol - just joking!

honestly.. i think they are cool ideas.. but it really upsets me when i look for hours and can't find a cache... hiding a cache cleaverly is one thing.. but making me search and search while the wife is calling the cellphone really annoys me! <_<

Take the wife along with you - like I do - hoping she'll fall over a cliff or something - lol - just joking!

:blink::huh:

The most obvious things are the ones that stump me, My brain is looking for Tupperware, or an ammo box. The caches that are hard for me to find are usually things that look like they've been there forever, or look like junk somebody left behind a rock.

If you really want people to have a hard time, do like some other people seem do. Say that the cache is at one set of coordinates in the middle of a pine forest, then put the cache 50 feet away, up in a tree, in said forrest, as a mini-micro disguised as a pine needle.

Good Luck..

Try a in ground lawn sprinkler head.  you can take the top of them and remove the insides.

To be really clever you need to match the brand/type of sprinklers that are in the area already, and age them a little. The one I did recently was brand new and entirely different from the rest of the ones in the park – a dead giveaway. The problem with this hideing method is you end up with people disassembling sprinkler heads everywhere they hunt micros. :o

Edited by Thot
honestly.. i think they are cool ideas.. but it really upsets me when i look for hours and can't find a cache... hiding a cache cleaverly is one thing.. but making me search and search while the wife is calling the cellphone really annoys me! :o

Even if they’re rated 3 or 4 stars, indicating they are difficult?

The ones that annoy me are micros that are devilishly cleverly hidden and marked one or two stars. It seems like some people who hide micros think micros are all supposed to be rated easy.

If you really want people to have a hard time, do like some other people seem do.  Say that the cache is at one set of coordinates in the middle of a pine forest,  then put the cache 50 feet away, up in a tree, in said forrest, as a mini-micro disguised as a pine needle.

Exactly! That and marking it easy are why I’m developing a bad taste for micros.

In my opinion a person who places micros has a special obligation to try to get super accurate coordinates. I can’t count the times when the coordinates put me in a clearing roughly equidistant and say 20 feet from four or five areas, each with many places a micro could be. And, as you say, some of these are in the woods. In almost all cases if the coordinates had been good it would have been a reasonably easy find. I think it’s inconsiderate to make a find difficult by giving poor coordinates, and then calling it one star.

For these reasons, I almost don't do micros placed by newbies anymore

Edited by Thot