Cache Attributes

Jeremy

I think this is the appropriate thread to suggest an attribute.

How about cell tower coverage? I know on some of the tougher hunts, it'd be good to know if my phone will work while I'm out in the thick.

Is this too provider dependent?

Oh yeah.. and another request for a camera-in-cache attribute.

Jamie

When deciding whether or not to include the wheelchair accessibility attribute, I'm thinking accessibility is the key, regardless of distance. If the individual has to cross terrain that is too narrow, steep, sharply curved or bumpy (for example), then I'd tend to drop the wheelchair accessible attribute.

-Wordfried

If no one ever takes my (and other's) idea for a rating system, maybe we could at least have a user selectable attribute. For instance, you could click on a button to nominate a cache for a "blue ribbon" attribute. If a cache gets, say, 10 blue ribbon nominations, or some other number, it would appear as an "attribute" of the cache. I would also like to see a "dont' waste your time" type of attribute for poorly maintained caches, or even just a "wrench" for "needs work" attribute.

Attributes can go both ways ya know. :mad:

How come there isn't a generic "Needs Special Equipment. See discription" attribute?

By bumping the rating to a 5 because you need a wrench throws the rating system off. The special equipment attributes and a generic one would mean we can give a more accurate rating to the difficulty.

I can see where a flashlight or a fishing pole might be required to retrieve the cache, thus they would fall under the cache's Difficulty rating.

I don't see where a flashlight (unless it's a night cache) or a fishing pole would likely be required to get to the cache area, so they would not fall under the cache's Terrain rating.

The idea of the attributes is great. As mentioned, it's on hold until people can get all their entries updated.

In the meantime, and even afterwards, there will be those that are non-tagged.

How about the ability to include keywords in your PQ? That way, if there is a good description, you can still find some of the things you are looking for.

I'd like to be able to search for All Night Caches in NJ, but I can't fine tune it like that currently on the PQ, and the caches may take a long time to get updated otherwise.

Plus, this would allow for searching on things which *aren't* necessarily a registered attribute.

Hi,

I was wondering if the scuba attribute could be changed to scuba/snorkel to broaden its applcability. I feel that scuba and snorkel caches have more in common than do swimming and snorkel caches. I only ask because I'm planning on placing a snorkel cache this summer...but I understand this may not be a priority for others, or even something other people agree with...just asking.

Thanks,

nfa-jamie

In deference to The Leprechauns in this topic, I'm moving my (and his comment here).

I am speaking of the need to have a "Night Cache" attribute vs using the "Recommended at Night" attribue.

To me, "recommended at night" means exactly what it says -- do this cache at night, not in the daytime.  To make it cover any urban cache with muggle risks is quite a stretch.  I see your point, but I think there's a better tool for the job.  I can drive a nail with the butt end of a screwdriver but I'd rather use a hammer.

So here's a good example. There is a night cache I know that lists the coords of the actual cache container so if you can't get there at night but are in the area, you can do it in the daytime. This to me is "Recommended at Night" and a "Night Cache" while there are other night caches that don't have this information so one can only do it at night. It's not recommended, it's required.

I guess it's sort of semantics but to me, there is a difference. I guess to me, it's the whole "every square is a rectangle but not every retangle is a square." Every night cache is recommended at night but not every cache that is recommended at night is a night cache.

Is there a list anywhere of all the available attributes? I'm curious...

On the cache details pages of your own caches there is an "edit attributes" button.

Since he doesn't have any hides, that answer doesn't help him that much.

So no, I don't believe there is a list of all attributes out there (that I've seen) that you can see if you don't have a cache currently placed. (There used to be and it's been taken down. It might be worth putting back up. Also, I found no reference to attributes in the "Getting Started" section, the FAQ, Hiding a Cache or even the knowledge base. It seems like this is something that should be added in there somewhere).

{Moved this over from the old link, as I didn't see this Pinned Topic}

I would like to suggest an Attribute to identify

Cache is part of a Series.

It seems to me that a lot of caches depend upon finding several caches and get some form of information from each, or a set of caches across a region are related in some way.

I'm not a 'graphics guy' so I can't create one to post for example so I'll try using words.

I would make a chain of links in the shape of an "S"

I myself have three series, and am involved in 2 more 'multi cacher' series.

This would save those people that don't want to have that level of commitment, or are visiting on vacation, from seaching them and feeling they missed out.

Also those that enjoy this level of challenge would be able, in the future, to create PQ's to plan weekends or vacations around a series

:antenna: The Blue Quasar

While out on a hunt yesterday on my motorcycle, I attempted a couple of caches that were only accessible by gravel roads. I was very hesitant to take my road bike on the gravel, but it gave me a thought.

Gravel Roads might be a wise attribute. Of course it doesn't only apply to motorcyclists, but also people who drive low-clearance vehicles, or a car with an expensive paint job, or to someone who simply doesn't want to get their car (and everything inside it) dusty.

It might also be a good indication that it'll be a little tougher after the rain.

Jamie

Although the 'attributes" tell spmething about a cache and what to expect, it still does not categorize the cache into specific category's, such as Historical, scenic, interesting, unusual, urban etc.

If category"s were required on the new cache page (and attributes) then make them searchable from the hide and seek page. It would make it easier to find those caches that we would specifically like to visit.

Just a thought.

I have loved the attributes since they were implemented. This is a very nice feature of the website.

I believe one of the more useful functions to use would be the searchable attributes and including attributes in pocket queries. Naturally, I have read the original post stating it would be a while for these funcitons to be developed.

Is there any estimate as to when we may be able to see this implemented? In the Getting Started forum, someone asked in this thread if there was an easy way to determine handicap accessible caches. Golly, it would be nice for someone looking for this type of cache to search the attributes or run a PQ.

One thing I've been wishing was an option was an icon to indicate a "historical site" at a cache location. This used to be one available when using "The Selector" for attributes.

The reason? If you're traveling to a place you're not familiar with and want to find out areas of historical significance...while caching...it would make a great search feature someday when the attributes are activated for that purpose.

Caching is a great way to lead people to the best spots in the area, and when the search feature is implemented using the attributes, -- wow -- this would make the process so easy.

Food for thought. :yikes:

In the attributes area, there are entries for Dangerous Area and Poisonous Plants. For a number of reasons, I think consideration should be made to remove these icons. First, caches shouldn't be placed in these areas. Also, what I may not think is dangerous might be dangerous in someone else's mind. If I were to place a cache in such an area and did not indicate the cache as dangerous, yet someone else does, could there be a liability problem if someone or a few people are injured? Same goes for poisonous plants. I am not an expert and I may miss poisonous plants. If someone trying to find my cache stumbles through a patch of poison ivy/oak/sumac/? is there a liability problem there too? Also, it could be that when the cache was placed, there were no poisonous plants, but they appeared later.

I'm not a lawyer (thank g0d), but with the lack of personal responsibility today, it would seem to me that it would be better to completely leave out the two entries that potentially deal with health/injury matters.

While I am here, aren't Thorns/Snakes/Ticks somewhat seasonal in nature (at least in some cases)? If a cache is placed in the off season or if those things aren't seen, but still present, we could give the geocacher a false sense of security.

Just my thoughts. I do like the idea of the attributes. I recently placed my first cache and used this feature.

In the attributes area, there are entries for Dangerous Area and Poisonous Plants. For a number of reasons, I think consideration should be made to remove these icons.

While I understand what you mean, I feel differently about this.

Every cache page has the following disclaimer:

Please note: To use the services of geocaching.com, you must agree to the terms and conditionsin our disclaimer.

I do wish the disclaimer included the placer of the cache or the property owner from liability as well. Although I do appreciate the following sentence in huge font on that site:

Cache seekers assume all risks involved in seeking a cache.

Poisonous plants are typically only a problem in certain seasons. So if you are highly allergic to, say, poison ivy (which I'm not), you may choose to do this cache in the winter. It helps people plan better for their cache experience. So I think that attribute is an important one.

Also, many (most?) caches are in the woods...we've made a point of keeping them out of poisonous plant areas, but not everyone follows the well-worn trail when seeking them. People do tend to bushwack. For that reason, if there are poisnous plants in the area, it does help to know that.

As for dangerous areas: there are disclaimers to be read before attempting and agreeing to do any cache, but there are some on very high spots, some under water, some accessed only by canoe. Any of these could be interpreted as dangeous to a child, but an adult might find this challenging and invigorating. There are some that require rock-climbing (and often state that). I don't think those rigorous caches should be disabled, but I do think an attribute that warns you before going might keep you from brining the 4 year olds along on that particular run.

I find the tick attribute particularly important. It helps us plan for how we dress and prepare our clothes (permethrin).

In my personal opinion all of the following remain important: thorns, ticks, snakes, poison plants, difficult climbing, dangerous area, and hunting.

Any cache that uses the attribute "dangerous area" should really elaborate in the description what they mean.

I know it's been said, but I fifth-teenth through fifty-ith, the notion of a "Mosquito/Bee" Attribute. Ran into some the size of baseballs and really could have used the warning.:D

S

Are you going outside? If so, consider yourself warned. (Those are the Texas rules. They may apply elsewhere.)

I have an attribute suggestion that I haven't seen anyone else mention (in my brief read through a few threads): "Suitable in smart clothing". There are plenty of caches where you would either get too dirty, wet, smelly or sweaty to be able to go back to your office after a bit of lunchtime caching without drawing the ire/derision of your coworkers. And although the terrain rating should tell you whether a cache could be done in flat/smart/high-heeled shoes, sometimes the lure of a FTF can get too much! I've seen a number of cache logs where the cacher has complained that it wasn't the best thing to attempt in a skirt, as well. Obviously the definition of "smart" clothing is debatable, but I'm talking about general business attire, not top hat and tails.

Apologies if this has been suggested/ridiculed already.

After just making an out of state trip with my RV and having trouble deciding which caches would accomodate RV parking, I thought this would be a great attribute to add since many geocachers are in Big Rigs and RV's and it is sometimes difficult to maneuver and park near a cache. Please add an attribute for oversized vehicle parking!! to help out myself and all the other road warriors that geocache!

This was answered in an other forum

There is a web page at the following address that has all the icons listed.

http://www.asta-inc.com/geocache/attributes.html

When out finding a cache I usually take a print out. In the middle of a field its a bit difficult to hover the mouse over the paper so is there a list of cache attribute that I can printout and take with me?

I have seen references to adding attributes to your own cache but as there are lots of new people who dont have a cache could someone please tell me where I can get a full list of the existing symbols to make reading the cache details a bit easier.

Thanks

Edited by Swift Wolf

I absolutely love this feature!! I only wish someone would have decided to allow a cache rating system before this feature. Cache ratings, by the finders that are NOT editable by the placer would be a wonderful feature. It would be most valuable if integrated with the search features, because it would alow me to improve the family experience by filtering out "crap" caches.

I love the attributes feature, but (and?) it occurred to me that the "Takes less than an hour" attribute button could be complemented by a "Takes a really long time" button...

nfa-jamie

What about just choosing "NO" on the Takes Less than an hour?

e8jp0o.jpg

Any time I saw that on a cache, I'd know it takes a "significant" amount of time.

BTW - this is my 4,500th post

I searched many threads and didn't see this topic specifically mentioned so here is the thought:

How about an attribute -- possibly only available for event caches -- for alcohol availability? This suggestion was prompted by wimseyguy. (In his "Will Attend" log for an upcoming event cache he asks the question.) The decision on where to hold the event cache came down to an establishment that had great BBQ but NO alcohol and one that had a broad selection of foodstuffs AND many micro-brew selections. (I selected the latter option. :) )

Apologies if this idea has been beaten to death already:

How about a come-and-hunt icon, or something of the sort . It would be nice to be able to do a PQ and only receive caches that could be found without anything more than the coordinates: it would make spontaneous caching much easier.

I believe that all caches with a cache type of "traditional" ought to fit this description. Anything else should be a different cache type. So order a PQ that returns just traditional caches.

How about a come-and-hunt icon, or something of the sort .  It would be nice to be able to do a PQ and only receive caches that could be found without anything more than the coordinates: it would make spontaneous caching much easier.

I believe that all caches with a cache type of "traditional" ought to fit this description. Anything else should be a different cache type. So order a PQ that returns just traditional caches.

I would have to say that this may not be as true as one would believe. Some traditionals have complications such as access fees ($2 museums, etc), hours of operations (closed at night), difficult hides, etc.

If I could interpret Muggle Finder's suggestion a bit further, and assume it meant "Quick and Easy"?

How about a come-and-hunt icon, or something of the sort .  It would be nice to be able to do a PQ and only receive caches that could be found without anything more than the coordinates: it would make spontaneous caching much easier.

I would have to say that this may not be as true as one would believe. Some traditionals have complications such as access fees ($2 museums, etc), hours of operations (closed at night), difficult hides, etc.

If I could interpret Muggle Finder's suggestion a bit further, and assume it meant "Quick and Easy"?

Fine, so filter on those attributes... Fee Required, Not Available 24/7. That assumes, of course, that lots of people are using those attributes.

Not necessarily quick and easy. Some cache pages say things like "please stay on the path", "I had poor satellite coverage look at the photo for a hint", or "you must bring a coin that is one year earlier or later than the coin that was last logged" or whatever. I don't mind if the cache is challenging, I just want to not need anything except the coordinates to find it (assuming I have the skill to do so).

I want a "the coordinates are all you need" icon.

Edited by Muggle Finder

If you can't find a cache without reading an instruction to "stay on the path," I'm not sure what an extra cache type will do to help you.

A cache with coordinates so poor that a photo cheat is needed may not meet the listing guidelines as recently updated.

A cache requiring a precise coin trade in order to prevent one's log from being deleted is not a traditional cache.

Traditional cache: Go to the coordinates, find the container, sign the logbook.  Anything above and beyond that is either stupid fluff, at a minimum, or a different cache type, like "?"

I completely and totally agree with you, Lep. I generally very much prefer to avoid these discussions, but...

Is "sign the logbook" the finish line or is "log the cache online" the finish line? I've run into a number of caches around North America where the answer is different. Upon challenge - even with the reviewers - I've been told the Official Answer is "sign the logbook" and not "complete required duties for a smiley". (I don't normally carry a camera, I don't carry a piggy bank containing one of everything the mint ever produced, etc. If I choose "traditional" and I sign the associated logbook, I consider my work done.)

Exhibits A-D (all examples I've actually hunted; I'm not trying to pick a fight here) : GCN3ZN GCPJ3R GCE132 GCKNPB

Depressingly, I see this being used as an end-run around the "no virtuals" ban.

I've even cross examined multiple reviewers and have been old the Official Answer is "sign the logbook" and not "log online". So if you request a PQ of traditionals and sign the log book of one of these that's categorized as a traiditonal with the logging requirement is "you must weight 143 pounds, be circumsized, have a prime number of letters in your last name, worked for AT&T in 1978, and attended the 1972 Hitler Family reunion in Elbonia", no smiley for you.

I can even kinda sorta see the "fluff" that can be done from your desk upon a challenge. Fine - if my log has to be a limerick or a haiku or a compilable perl program, so be it (although it's annoying even then) but once I've signed a logbook 500 miles away from home for a cache categorized as a traditional, deleting my log becuase of the change in my pocket on that day is really annoying. Traditional should mean "sign the logbook at these coords and log it online for a smiley".

Make caches like the ones above a "?" (so that I can exclude them while travelling) and I'm perfectly happy with that. Make the distinction between "sign the book" and "log online".

I can even kinda sorta see the "fluff" that can be done from your desk upon a challenge.  Fine - if my log has to be a limerick or a haiku or a compilable perl program, so be it (although it's annoying even then)  but once I've signed a logbook 500 miles away from home for a cache categorized as a traditional, deleting my log becuase of the change in my pocket on that day is really annoying.  Traditional should mean "sign the logbook at these coords and log it online for a smiley".

Make caches like the ones above a "?" (so that I can exclude them while travelling) and I'm perfectly happy with that.  Make the distinction between "sign the book" and "log online".

You are 100% right!

I travel all over the country for business and when I travel I download traditional caches into my GPRr and head out. I go paperless and information less. I have spent hours looking for a "traditional cache" that had a puzzle that needed to be solved inorder to get the proper coords. Or use information from those coords to find find the next set of coords. That is not traditional cache.

I traditional cache should have the coords and a log book. Anything more then that is some other type of cache.

Edited by ajayhawkfan