Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bigredmed

Fox Hunt Transmitter

I had a cache idea today.

The cache page would get you to a certain location, where I would hide a small geocache in which the frequency and DTMF codes for a transmitter would be located.

Cachers could hunt this for a 2/2 or 2/2.5 cache, or they could bring their directional antenna and 2 meter HT and tune in the freq and enter the DTMF codes that would turn on a transmitter that would direct them to the real geocache via a fox hunt type search for a 5 difficulty cache.

Here is the deal.

I need a transmitter that will be able to be small, cheap, and long battery life. It needs to be self-contained. It needs to sleep until the DTMF codes are entered, then it needs to turn on and then turn back off automatically after say 20 minutes of transmitting.

I thought about having the coords transmitted in CW, but the transmitter could just as easily be a fox hunt type tone.

Any ideas?

Check out this link. It is for fox controller that can turn a radio on and off by dtmf codes as well as a timer to turn the radio off after a preset time. We have made a couple foxboxes using this controller. Our foxbox are in an ammo can which contains the controller, an older Icom 2AT hand held and a 4 amp hour battery. The Icom 2AT is a 2 or 2.5 watt transmitter so it last for quite a while on a 4 amp hour battery. You could also attach a solar panel to the battery to recharge the battery. A friend and I did a fox hunt / geocache event last summer. We hid two small geochases, the first with the coords for the second and the second with the freq for the fox. Was a rather interesting and fun event.

Byonics Controller - http://www.byonics.com/piccon/

N8OFP - Del

I saw this tread and just had to reply! After only being licensed for about 10 months, I placed a cache utilizing Morse code...

I think your idea of turning the cache-hunt into a fox hunt would be a blast!

Our cache is two stages; the first stage is a simple mp3 player that the user will have to copy code. Following successful completion of that, they get to decipher the code using a key provided.

We slowed it down to a rate that anyone could copy it at.

I will be following this tread.

Our cache is at: http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=172227

73's! KC2MLG

Glen

I saw this tread and just had to reply! After only being licensed for about 10 months, I placed a cache utilizing Morse code...

I think your idea of turning the cache-hunt into a fox hunt would be a blast!

Our cache is two stages; the first stage is a simple mp3 player that the user will have to copy code. Following successful completion of that, they get to decipher the code using a key provided.

We slowed it down to a rate that anyone could copy it at.

I will be following this tread.

Our cache is at: http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=172227

73's! KC2MLG

Glen

I think that another idea for the short CW mesage would be the pico-keyer. It can hold 4 60 character strings and comes with a speaker from a modem that is pretty loud, and can be made louder by covering the opening with tape. This would be cheaper than an MP-3 and would be less tempting to steal. Also, its small enough that it would fit into a really small container.....Now you have me thinking.

A fox hunt is a game played by ham radio people where they try to triangulate the location of a transmitted signal.