Why Cornstarch...

G-Squad

Being the tightwad that I am, I use a common free substance that is readily available out here in AZ. It is called blow sand! :D

The trick to using the sand is to get the disk damp and sprinkle some light colored sand on it and wipe off the excess.

I think the corn starch is of a finer texture and will probably fill in the smaller lines better, but that is just speculation on my part.

John

edited to add a picture of a disk with sand in the lettering.

44c85d27-0ce0-4fc7-9550-e609faed857b.jpg

Edited by 2oldfarts (the rockhounders)

The same thing will happen in whatever container you keep it in. Flour attracts moisture much more than corn starch and will become goo much faster. Also, if corn starch gets wet it will dry and become a powder, and therefore usable, again (not that the cost is an issue). Finally, corn starch will just wash off the benchmark and not become caked on dough.

I have to admit to succumbing to the reputation of cornstarch -- I tried it this weekend. Clearly there is a technique involved, my first experiments resulted in much whiteness on self and countryside , but it does do a good job of bring out the stampings. The advantage I see? It washes off easier! ;)

My wife is convinced I'm going to be nabbed as a terrorist, though. She thinks I'm slightly wacky -- this from someone who thinks getting up on top of a big @$^$ horse and running hell bent at big &^%$ fences is fun!

KV1214 - one of the fun ones that keeps me looking.

38d8eb38-3b46-46fd-9c94-3f5a3dc6dc4e.jpg

I have to admit to succumbing to the reputation of cornstarch -- I tried it this weekend. Clearly there is a technique involved, my first experiments resulted in much whiteness on self and countryside , but it does do a good job of bring out the stampings. The advantage I see? It washes off easier! :huh:

My wife is convinced I'm going to be nabbed as a terrorist, though. She thinks I'm slightly wacky -- this from someone who thinks getting up on top of a big @$^$ horse and running hell bent at big &^%$ fences is fun!

KV1214 - one of the fun ones that keeps me looking.

38d8eb38-3b46-46fd-9c94-3f5a3dc6dc4e.jpg

Don't worry, chalk white and covered with corn starch isn't in the terrorist handbook they passed out to me. A little black lipstick and nail polish though and you will at least look the part of a Goth.