People Not Finding The Cache

AtoZ

I have a cache a 4.5/1.5 that has two pieces of code that need to be deciphered to find some folks have gotten the first part but now one the second part. The cache has been out for about 3 months now. When Do I make it easier. Well I did try after 6 wks but apparently not easy enought. So what do you do????

cheers

I'd start by figuring out who's tried the cache the most, and/or logged the most DNFs. You should email them, giving them little hints, trying to encourage them towards the answer. Hopefully, one of them, will catch on and find it. And then you'll know exactly what hints to put on the cache page.

But yah, it seems like you've let people struggle long enough. Try and drop some vague hints...

It might help if you could find out 'why' they're not finding the cache. What might seem easy to you might be hard for others. I've seen caches that require some pretty heavy math skills to located and if you can't figure out projectile motion, you'll never solve them.

We placed a cache that took a bit of work to get cachers pasted the first stage, as it turned out, they simply didn't expect to see what they saw but immediately understood what was required once they 'got it'.

With higher difficult ratings, it's expected to be hard.

Wulf

4.5 difficulty caches aren't supposed to be easy. I would leave it that way for people who look forward to the challenge. A 4.5 is obviously going to get far fewer finds. I you want people to find your cache, make it easy.

If it were me, I'd leave that one just the way it is. There are far too few caches out there that are real challenges so why water it down.

Edited by briansnat

We just completed this one this past weekend B)

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...8e-b358bffcf467

It had not been found since the end of June, If they wanted to complete your they would have already done it. sounds like you might not have too many dihard cachers in your area. :P

Could it be because where it is located and its under a mountain of snow? It apears to be located not to far from Denver Co. ;)

Edited by Berjr1

Depends on how saavy and smart the people trying the cache are. If you have a bunch of noobs it might take a while. Or maybe the cachers doing yours aren't used to doing like math things or decoding stuff. One multi in my area has been out since November, and the experts of my area couldn't fiind it after 3 or 4 visits so i tried (after i had 14 or 15 found) and i got it on my second trip. It hasn't been found since.

If it were me, I'd leave that one just the way it is. There are far too few caches out there that are real challenges so why water it down.

I'll be working on a 5 star difficulty cache for my town that will be like 15 parts and will probably take a few whole days or several trips to complete if you want to come down and do it?

I would leave it the way it is UNLESS you want it to be found. The more difficult or interpretive-by-discipline, the fewer (if any) finders will be successful. If ths makes you happy, great.

I like mine to be found, I speak in English rather than some cryptic code and keep math simple so that the broader base of potential seekers can find success - but, that's ME.

When I get a DNF, I email & offer to hint - if they respond for help, I give a little. Sometimes I find they never really tried, invested ten minutes & walked away.

It's your cache, do what YOU want. That's part of the game, the placer makes the rules . . .

GA

I'll be working on a 5 star difficulty cache for my town that will be like 15 parts and will probably take a few whole days or several trips to complete if you want to come down and do it?

I don't do those kinds of caches. I mean other people who like those challenges. ;)

I know just which cache you are talking about. I would leave it just the way it is. That's what a difficult find is supposed to be. DIFICULT. ;)

Anyway I am sort of trying to find it right now and it wouldn't be fair if others got clues. :P

Edited by Vader