Automobile Gps For Rent?

Siberian Cat

I rented a Hertz car with Never Lost when I was in Denver, CO. on business. Loved it.

I don't know where you can rent a car gps in Canada but...

I just upgraded my gps to a Garmin gpsmap cs60 and loaded it with maps from Mapsource MetroGuide Canada. The auto-routing is very much like NeverLost but without the voice commands. Just for fun, I connected my gps to my laptop and ran nroute which you can get from Garmin. That combo provides a great visual of the route and turns and provides the voice commands that I enjoyed from NeverLost. And the large display on the laptop gives you much more information.

The laptop, nroute and Mapsource MetroGuide Canada and my old gps (Garmin etrex vista) works too.

It's not NeverLost but these are tools I use anyway for geocaching so it is free.

And don't be concerned about Ottawa street detail, it is all there.

Hope this helps.

Nawty aka Renate

I highly recommend Garmin's handheld autorouting GPS units. I tried a Street Pilot 2610 which had the audible directions and fell in love with it immediately. I used it for a week as it guided me throughout the Boston and New England area.

Back at home and months later, I bought myself a Garmin 76C. My first choice was the Quest (due to its landscape scrn orientation and voice directions) but I thought the 76C was the better choice for a Geocaching/camping/hiking/road navigating GPS due to its use of AA batteries and ergonomics.

My main concern was whether I would miss the voice directions of the 2610. Fortunately, I didn't. The beeps that the 76C uses to indicate an upcoming turn works just fine. It's not as sexy but it gets the job done. The key requirement is that the graphical display must be clear and easy to read at a glance...and it is.

The 2610 had a better interface to finding Points of Interest but aside from that, I don't feel like I'm missing out on much.

GeoBC

I just recently tried the nRoute software from Garmin and was really impressed. It was a free download from Garmin because I have the Mapsource MetroGuide. The nRoute program is part of the pacakage for the GPS 18 system for laptop computers but works with the current GPSr I use. I have a Garmin Etrex Legend and hooked it up to my laptop running the nRoute software. This program was very impressive and gave me more information than I thought it would. So if you are able to use a laptop and have the GPSr connected to it, you have it made. Driving directions, waypoints, Mapsource maps and speech instructions.

Hello world,

I had a chance to drive Hertz rented car with Neverlost GPS system and was impressed. I would like to buy something like this for my car, but the automobile units are rather expensive, so I wonder if it is possible to rent it somewhere, especially in Ottawa.

GPSmart.ca is the only place I've seen that rents GPS units. I've never dealt with them.