Micro Caches

60North

Suffering from abject poverty, only working part time for a government agency not known for large wage packets, here in Shetland, I am not in a position to lash out money on ammo boxes, tupperware containers and gifts, so I have started putting micro caches out there. Problem is that the recent ones only have a pencil and a log book in them. I would like to put something in them for any families that go out there searching for them.

What small and inexpensive items do people put in micro caches? So far I have put batteries, keyrings and ear plugs in them, but I am looking for other ideas.

Thanks

The best thing I have found in micros is teensy rubber duckies. I have found 2. I think they are the sig item of a geocaching team, but I am not sure.

I have also seen coins, teensy calling cards, girly hair grips, badges, earrings, small compasses.

One I went to had microscopic certificates to take to say you had found the cache!

If the micro is hidden in a cunning enough way, or the clues to find it are interesting and/or challenging enough, I don't think lack of swap items is a big problem. If your area is lacking in caches people will be happy that you are placing more. If you win the Lottery sometime soon, you can always upgrade them.

BTW, you can buy a small tupperware box for 40p from many supermarkets (including Tescos) and getting together some stuff to put in it need not be hard nor cost a fortune. I buy some stuff (Asda and Woolies have been good places) and some stuff is unwanted gifts or charity shop finds. It need not be tat if it is cheap or recycled from unwanted stuff in your house.

The best thing I have found in micros is teensy rubber duckies.  I have found 2.  I think they are the sig item of a geocaching team, but I am not sure.

I left a tiny (.5") rubber duck in Carve Her Name With Pride, and it got picked up by Longfram Kev who was FTF.

I got it as a freebie from Virgin Atlantic, along with a lot of other do-dahs, some of which were cache-friendly in size.

What small and inexpensive items do people put in micro caches? So far I have put batteries, keyrings and ear plugs in them, but I am looking for other ideas.

I put little things I have around the place which fit in the film can and would be nice to find or useful.

Small coins, beads, safety pins, foreign bank notes, small erasers, hair slides, fortune fish, stickers, marbles, dice...

I found a tiny tin of fruit from a dolls house set once which was great!

Sarah

Thanks for all of the answers and some great ideas.

In Shetland there is much less choice and much less competition. The cheapest plastic lunch box I have seen here was £1.99 and it wasn't really suitable for geocaching. Snap lid boxes start at £4 and upwards. Excluding banks, there are only 3 chain store shops on the whole island, Safeway, Co-op and Mackays. They would be the equivalent of compact stores on the mainland. This is why most of the locals can't wait to get to the mainland, especially for clothes. Ours are very expensive here and the people who choose what goes on the racks in the shops put profit before style, hence why most people seem to have mail order catalogues.

I thought about getting my family to send some bits and pieces to me whilst these messages were being added to the topic.

Thanks again

Hi Peeps..

In March 2003 I set up a micro cache.. It took a hike and is now archived but there was the mischevious side to it as at the tme there was a lot of what we can/can not put in them and where we can/cannot place them.

I eventually found the piccy I took of a similar cache contents. Lots of Goodies

most of the stuff is from a dols house but when you set up a discription with bottle cans an phones and you set a micro cache it tends to confuse.. :rolleyes::o

Moss T