Archived Caches

Africard

Go to a persons profile page, and then look at the caches that they have been to. If they have done a lot of caches in the area, chances are they have been to the archived caches. They'll show up under the caches that they have been to, and you can see them from there.

I think the problem is not filtering out the archived caches when loading into your GPSr but getting information that a cache HAS been archived INTO GSAK.

That's where I am struggling. Right now, every few weeks I sort my caches by the date last updated. I start clicking on the oldest one and most of the time I find that they have been archived. This is the only way I know how right now.

I know that there has been some discussion that some people are afraid that others might hunt archived caches -- especially those in parks. But the issue for some of us is simply a notification that a cache was archived should be available in pocket queries.

Edited by LSUMonica

One last FYI, if your PQs include inactive caches, i.e. check next to "IS NOT ACTIVE", then GSAK will change the cache to inactive in the database.

I absolutely LOVE IT when a cache owner changes a cache to "unavailable" for a period of time (a week works great if I run my usual pocket queries once a week) THEN archives the cache!!!

This works great!! My weekly PQs get the "unavailable" update so then I do not load them into my GPSr! Then every few months when I do "database maintenance" I take a look at my unavailable but not archived queries that have not been updated in a while. Most of the time these have been archived so I toggle the switch in GSAK to archived.

Monica, please correct me if I'm wrong.

I am assuming that you are only keeping a GSAK database of caches that you want to go after at some later date. You choose not to delete this database each time you get a new PQ because you want to be able to have more than five logs.

The problem that you are coming up against is that caches become archived and they hang out in the database as if they were still active.

I am pretty sure that you could set a filter to delete those caches that were not updated with the last PQ.

I bet if you asked those dudes in the GPS Units & Software forum, they would be quick to tell you how.

I have had this problem too. I would like to see a parameter in the Pocket Query section for Archived as well as Inactive caches so I can update my GSAK database.

If you have PM, and know the area the cache was in use the gc.com map link. Then check the box to show archived caches, and hit the identify button. This should map both active and archived (w/ viewing) ones within the normal range.

If you don't have a paid membership this wont work, because you can't change the gc.com map. So as said check the finds of people you know have been there, or the hides for whoever placed it.

The problem that you are coming up against is that caches become archived and they hang out in the database as if they were still active.

I am pretty sure that you could set a filter to delete those caches that were not updated with the last PQ.

Deleting archived caches which you have found will throw off your counts in GSAK. Deleting archived caches which you haven't found - but which you attempted isn't so great either. I like to keep my database up to date and complete - it's like a diary - and I also like to read all the logs on a regular basis to see what oher people are doing in the area. Watch list emails would be too numerous if I watched every cache I had found.

LSUMonica uses the technique which most GSAK users have used and discussed.

Steve --

You are correct I could delete those ACTIVE caches not updated in my last PQs and that would take care of some items that were actually archived but then I might lose caches that are not visited very frequently.

Unfortunately, I run weekly PQs on several of the areas outside of Nashville where I cache -- South Louisiana, Dallas and Houston -- and have family. I take advantage of a lot of last minute airline specials so I run PQs for those places each week in case this is the weekend I am there. Problem is that some of these caches -- especially those in Louisiana -- are not visited every week and therefore not updated. In those cases I would lose the "historical" logs.

Also, as caderoux stated if you delete all archived caches you would lose your found counts.

Alas there is no perfect system and probably never will be...

Monica

On a personal note, I saw some recent logs by you so I take it you are out and about caching again? Hope to see you on the trails!

Edited by LSUMonica

Another problem with doing this, is that not every cache that's not updated will have been archived. If you are, say, getting a PQ of the closest 500 caches, new ones close to you will 'push' farther ones off the list - they haven't been archived, just not within the limits of the PQ.

I just ran into that problem again today. I went out using my GSAK database on my Pocket PC using GPXSonar and spent quite a bit of time on a virtual cache answering five questions. When I went to log it, I found that it had been archived over a year ago.

Like LSUMonica says, the problem is not filtering out the archived caches when loading into your GPSr but getting information that a cache HAS been archived INTO GSAK. If archived caches show up on GC.com at all, there should be no reason not to allow people to run a pocket query so they can locate them and change their status on GSAK. Like LSUMonica, I also run a query to find inactive caches once a week. But it does no good if an owner simply archives a cache without first placing it on the unavailable list.

Maybe the only way to handle this is to write a bot program to crawl through the GC.com and harvest the waypoint numbers of the archived caches. It would be a lot of work and would hammer the GC server but it is possible. It would be much better for all concerned just to add the "is archived" checkbox in the PQ form.