.gpx Or .loc Files

spamhead

I downloaded GSAK last week When I downloaded EasyGPS. I initially thought I would only use them to download waypoints to my GPSr but it appears GSAK can do so much more than that. Either way, it beats the heck out of manually inputing info into my GPSr.

I was also wondering how to store and organize caches (waypoints) into my SD card to utilize that memory instead of having to page through my finds.

Actually the GPX file is better for two reasons. The GPX file comes with the geocache icon so it shows up on your GPS as a geocache. The LOC file just has a dot for the waypoint and if you want the geocache icon on your unit's maps, you'll need to manually change the LOC file.

Also, the GPX file has the description field valued with the cache and owner's name. This is handy for units that have a description field, which I think the Meridian line does.

I downloaded GSAK last week When I downloaded EasyGPS. I initially thought I would only use them to download waypoints to my GPSr but it appears GSAK can do so much more than that. Either way, it beats the heck out of manually inputing info into my GPSr.

I was also wondering how to store and organize caches (waypoints) into my SD card to utilize that memory instead of having to page through my finds.

You can save waypoint files from the GPS to the SD card. Your MeriGold will hold 500 waypoints in active memory, but you can keep many files of waypoints on the SD card to load up as needed. You could use GSAK to filter caches by location (maybe by county or near home and work) and save each of these filtered lists to your SD card.

You can get the files to the SD card either by loading the waypoints to the GPS and then saving them to the card, or GSAK can export a waypoint file that you can copy to your SD card using an SD card reader/writer.

When you get your new GPS, play around with the menus and look for CARD UTILITIES. This is where you load and save waypoint files to the SD card.

The GPX file comes with the geocache icon so it shows up on your GPS as a geocache. The LOC file just has a dot for the waypoint and if you want the geocache icon on your unit's maps,

Maybe Garmins do this, but I change my geocache icons through GSAK for my Gold.

Jamie

The GPX file comes with the geocache icon so it shows up on your GPS as a geocache. The LOC file just has a dot for the waypoint and if you want the geocache icon on your unit's maps,

Maybe Garmins do this, but I change my geocache icons through GSAK for my Gold.

Jamie

Using GPX? In GPX files the symbol field is <sym>Geocache</sym> and in LOC files its <sym>waypoint</sym>. Maybe Magellans don't interperate the 'sym' field the same way Garmins do, or use it to produce the icon?