Legend Vs. 60cs

I got a Legend for Christmas and like it. I was at a caching event yesterday and a guy was showing me his 60cs. Wow. I really liked it. Now I am having buyers remorse. Do I really need the 60cs? I haven't got a map for my Legend yet. I was looking to get Metroguide. Having never seen it in person or used it, is using autorouting software that much better? What differences will I see? I know the 60cs has more memory. Exactly how much map can I get into my Legend? I don't really travel that much but 4 or 5 times a year, I will be going somewhere and would like to have the maps for that area. How much trouble is it to change it in my Legend? The guy with the 60cs said he can set it up at home to take him from cache to cache if he is going to do 20 in a day. Can this be done with Metroguide? I know it won't tell me when to turn but will it show me on the map where to go or am I going to have to figure it out myself? I know some of these questions are crazy sounding. I guess I am just trying to talk myself out of spending more money but that 60cs sure seemed sweet. I guess I just want to hear from both sides and hear what both can do with their maps. Thanks.

Your legend is fine and will serve you well for GEocaching.

Yes the 60CS is better and you pay for it with the higher price.

Metroguide on your Legend will let you look up an address and go to it like it was a cache. A pointer will point at the location. (This is how I understand it, I could be wrong...)

Autorouting will tell you where to turn on the way there. You will be able to select fastest way, or shortest, plus what you are used too.

I wouldn't upgrade until you have checked out mapping on our GPS. Keep in mind if you do go to a 60CS you won't want metroguide you will want City Select.

Yes, you COULD use it on a Legend - and ONE other GPSr. City Select requires unlocking, and the deal on it is that you can unlock it to just two GPSrs. So, if you unlock it to your Legend, and then exchange your GPSr for a 60CS, and use the second unlock on the 60CS - well that'd be your two GPSrs. If you wanted to move up to a 76CS or a Quest later, then you'd have to buy a new copy of City Select.

tnfishdaddy,

See my response to your other post about Metroguide 4.0 and the 60 series.

If you do get a 60 you might want to consider getting the CS. Many geocachers really apperciate the compass function once you get close to a cache.

Since it's your money and not mine, I'd say go ahead and get the 60CS and keep the Legend. You should be able to get Metroguide 4.0 for around $50 and you can load it on both the 60 and the Legend.

I sold a Venture to get a Legend and then sold the Legend to get the Vista. I finally wised up and kept the Vista when I got the 60CS.

I don't use the Vista all that often, but I carry it as a spare when I go hunting. I also gets used when I take my kids geocaching.

It depends on what you thought were the key features of the 60c. If you really want the color screen and turn-by-turn routing then you may never be satisfied with the Legend. But if you were mainly impressed by the detailed maps and POIs, then stick with your Legend and add the MetroGuide maps. The Legend won't auto-route, but MG will on your PC and you can download the routes to the Legend. And the Legend with the loaded maps will let you look up an address or POI, display it on the map, and show you the direction and distance to go.

8MB will hold a pretty good-sized metropolitan area. For example San Francisco, Oakland, San Jose, most of Marin, Berkeley, and Richmond is an area that will all fit in your Legend.

Loading a new 8 MB area is easy, but takes about 20 minutes due to the limited speed of RS232.

I had a Legend and I have a Vista and 60CS. If you have the money to burn, go for the 60CS. It blows the Legend away. That being said, the Legend is a great unit. I like the compact size of the eTrex line. The 60 is pretty big.

As others said you'd want City Select of you are going with the 60and want to use auto routing. City Select will work on your Legend, but you won't get auto routing.

I picked up City Select last week and it's a pretty neat thing with that auto routing. I've been toying around with it and it works great. But I still prefer Mapsource Topo. I have City Select and Topo loaded on my 60CS and I find myself looking at Topo about 80 percent of the time.

I also have the Legand as well as a 60 CS. The differance between the two is night and day. With the Legand having the minimum amount of features and the 60CS being the top of the line. The cost is a lot but the auto-routing is definately worth the extra money. This would require City Select software to auto-route. Another big plus is the compass. This is another feature that has to be one of my favorites. The Legand is a good unit. I keep mine for a back up. The 60 CS is a geocachers multi tool. It has everything you need. The first week I had mine I spent most of my time wondering how I ever got along without most of these extra features.

To be honest, if I didnt have autorouting, ii dont think I'd cache anymore(not that I have been doing it much anyway). All the wrong turns on different streets due to having to decipher the map on the small Legend screen vs getting close to the cache automatically. Of course some people will tell you that that is part of the hunt...

Please also consider the Legend C and Vista C as less costly alternatives to the 60cs. The Legend C and Vista C are identical except that the Vista C has a magnetic compass and altimeter - so maybe the comparison should be between the 60cs and the Vista C.

The Legend C and Vista C use the same firmware as the 60cs, have a marginally smaller color screen (with higher resolution), but have less map storage (24mb of memory). With CitySelect loaded for autorouting, 24mb still allows for a reasonably large geographic coverage area. For example, I live in a densely populated North Eastern state, and the 24mb allows me to load approx half the state.

They have a much smaller form factor and weigh less than the 60cs, which I think is a huge plus. They are also about $100 cheaper.

Another thing to consider: Adventure Magazine rated the Vista C the best GPS on the market for form, function, value, etc., in it's January edition.