Event Idea

The Jester

At least a topic for a WSGA meeting for certain. There are plenty of obscure things in it that folks might find of interest (for example, doing an 'arc' route down I5 to Portland via putting together a few custom queries and creative filtering).

I have some batch files that automate extracting my custom queries out of the zip files, updating databases, and automating exports for the PDA, Streets+Trips, etc. Pretty amazing how much you can automate things...

I would like to attend such an educational event. Hopefully it will be nearer to Portland than Seattle so more of us Oregonians can come too.

Maybe we could have a separate one down here? Might be a good topic at the PDX geomunch. I'd offer to treat Jester to breakfast if he's willing to "take it on the road" down to there.

I agree with the idea of making it a part of a WSGA meeting (extended a bit).

I also would expand the idea to include other software, especially stuff related to paperless caching. With all the brilliant but lightly documented software out there, many people are inhibited by the difficulty of getting things running right and getting efficient use of the features.

The list of programs that I use personally and would add are:

Primary:

GPXSonar, Pocket streets, USAPhotoMaps,

Secondary:

Leica Geosystems Satellite availability, Compsys21 (NGS), Various on line computational tools such as UTM and datum converters.

After all that brain activity, perhaps in a library conference room, an expedition to some pizza parlor would be in order. :D

This would correspond well with the planned roll-out of the WSGA Routes and Polygons pages. They are mostly ready to go, although some of the polys could use some tweaking (Right Wing Wacko, have you had a chance to finish your adjustment of the county polygons?). I am currently waiting on Seth! to write up some directions.

(Based on the subtitle of this thread, I thought that we were talking about nudecacher's use of GSAK! ;))

I agree with the idea of making it a part of a WSGA meeting (extended a bit).

I also would expand the idea to include other software, especially stuff related to paperless caching. With all the brilliant but lightly documented software out there, many people are inhibited by the difficulty of getting things running right and getting efficient use of the features.

The list of programs that I use personally and would add are:

Primary:

GPXSonar, Pocket streets, USAPhotoMaps,

Secondary:

Leica Geosystems Satellite availability, Compsys21 (NGS), Various on line computational tools such as UTM and datum converters.

After all that brain activity, perhaps in a library conference room, an expedition to some pizza parlor would be in order. ;)

Software would be an interesting series of meeting with the WSGA. If you try and do it all in one session, you're looking at a weekend worth of info... (I can see also info on map programs, CacheMate & other handheld programs...)

Sounds like there may be enough interest in this. I'll start putting together a 'class outline' for a GSAK session and see how much time may be needed.

This would correspond well with the planned roll-out of the WSGA Routes and Polygons pages. They are mostly ready to go, although some of the polys could use some tweaking (Right Wing Wacko, have you had a chance to finish your adjustment of the county polygons?). I am currently waiting on Seth! to write up some directions.

(Based on the subtitle of this thread, I thought that we were talking about nudecacher's use of GSAK! ;))

What's this polygon stuff????? I clicked on the Get Polygon and it didn't work.

Do you have popups blocked? The data opens in a separate window that you can then save locally to a text file.

I got the result, but let me be the one to ask this...

A 'text file' for what?

I visited the links provided for 'routes' and 'polygons' and didn't understand the results.

I was hoping for a list of caches on the designated 'route' or something. What is it really a result of/for?

:P I've actually discovered several things about GSAK and pocket queries that would be worth sharing. Moun10Bike is really good, if he's deduced them from my pocket queries.

I'd like to attend any meetings about the use of GSAK and other software tools.

Nudecacher

I got the result, but let me be the one to ask this...

A 'text file' for what?

I visited the links provided for 'routes' and 'polygons' and didn't understand the results.

I was hoping for a list of caches on the designated 'route' or something. What is it really a result of/for?

As I mentioned in a previous post, I'm waiting for Seth! to write up directions for the pages. They've been mostly ready for a couple months now; we're only waiting to have the info available to teach people how to use them.

In a nutshell, the arc files are used to find caches along a route, while the polygon files are used to find caches within an area specified by the polygon. Both types can be used with GSAK (or directly with GPSBabel, which is the application that runs at the heart of GSAK).

That would be cool- I haven't looked at GSAK yet. Have no idea what it does! Anyway, when are we going to have a meeting? I would like to join the WSGA. And I missed the holiday party, sniff, sniff.  :rolleyes:

I know I have got to schedule the first general meeting of the WSGA. Our first board meeting is at the end of the month, so expect a general meeting in early February. LB, you can join the WSGA at any time just go to WSGA Homepage and follow the links. Peace, Nolenator

Edited by nolenator
I know I have got to schedule the first general meeting of the WSGA. Our first board meeting is at the end of the month, so expect a general meeting in early February. LB, you can join the WSGA at any time just go to WSGA Homepage and follow the links. Peace, Nolenator

Ok- call me stupid, but I went to the site, submitted my info, and 'joined' successfully I think. But then it shows my dues are 'due'. How and to whom do I pay the 12 bucks? :huh:

Ok- call me stupid, but I went to the site, submitted my info, and 'joined' successfully I think. But then it shows my dues are 'due'. How and to whom do I pay the 12 bucks? 
Go here for dues information. Thank you and welcome to the Washington State Geocaching Association--YOUR organization.

On the initial sign up page there is a link for dues information that will take you to a page to pay