Caves And Tunnels

c88m

I've been looking for caches with a cave or tunnel . If you could put the link and name here it would be helpful . I'm looking for them here in the New England area but enjoy reading them from other areas all around the world .

I am going to be placing a cave/stormdrain cache on Long Island, probably tomorrow =)

YoshiLMT :o

Here are two in mines in NJ that I know of:

This one is in an old iron mine that goes back about 75 feet into bedrock. It's a pretty large opening. I'm 6 feet tall and only have to duck slightly. You see a few bats and some really weird bugs -

A Mine is a Terrible Thing

This one is really cool. Its another old iron mine at the site of Thomas Edison's 1890's ironworks. It goes a couple of hundred feet into the side of the hill and is fairly narrow. You have to crawl on your hands and knees the entire way to the cache. Of course the cache is deep inside. I'm pretty claustrophobic, so I had a very hard time getting up the nerve to get this one, but I did -

Edison's Dark Rock Cache

Try Project APE's Mission 9: Tunnel of Light.

I am going to do this this fall when I have to travel to Seattle.

The best way to reach the Mission 9 is through the Snoqualmie Tunnel on the Iron Horse trail, but it's not in the tunnel itself. There is a cache in the middle of the tunnel, however, and the name says it all: Bloody Fingers, Dirty Diapers... :huh:. I had a lot of fun grabbing both (and some others) a week before the tunnel closed for winter. I highly suggest a cache visit in warmer months!

Splunk A-12

I grew up about seven miles west of that spot. My wife, kids, and I visited my parents for Christmas this year. I love taking my oldest kids (5 and 2 1/2 year old boys) exploring. I took them up to that very cave, but had no idea there was a geocache hidden there until about a week after Christmas. How disappointing. I couldn't even log a geocache of a cave I used to explore as a kid.

I placed the first torchlight cache in Spain, it is placed in an abandoned militar base with 2 km of underground tunnels, this cache is the first part of seriesPieza de Artilleria.

A very interesting cave caches placed on my area (Catalunya) are Cova d'Anes, Cova del Moro and Les Estunes.

Last summer i placed Pieza de Artilleria 2 and a third subterranean militar adventure will go on soon.

I've been looking for caches with a cave or tunnel . If you could put the link and name here it would be helpful . I'm looking for them here in the New England area but enjoy reading them from other areas all around the world .

I just posted a Tunnel Cache on Long Island. It will later on... be part of a long 1.5 mile underground excursion =) hehehehe Hopefully it will be approved =)

... this cache is the first part of  seriesPieza de Artilleria.

Don' t you want caching guest in your country to find your caches? :grin:

I don't know a single word in Spanish, except for cerveza :grin:

Not a single one of my own cashes are without instructions in English (and in Swedish also of course), because I want to welcome cachers from all over the world to my caches!

In my opinion it should be "compulsory" with english in the instruction and of course the native tounge too!

Edited by Gavia

We have an inside-of-cave cache out here in Oregon: EVAC

Located in Wind Cave, just off China Hat Road south of Bend, Or. Its closed seasonally due to brown bats. Some serious bouldering to get in to the cache, but its worth it. Very cool cave.

There are a lot of other caves in the area that aren't specifically marked maps. A friend and I used a combination of topographic maps, satelite photos, and good old fashioned hiking to locate four or five of them. Good times.

PROPOSING CAVE CACHE: Ava Cave, Southern IL - SEE MY AVATAR PICTURE!!! It has both an entrance and exit and is about a mile through. Even though it is mostly destroyed, it is quite an experience to go through.

First I need to see if anyone would be willing to practice CITO. This cave is open to anyone wanting to explore and on National Forest land. The sad thing is it has been ruined by local teenagers.

There is trash along the floor, and spraypaint on the walls, and all the stalactites and stalagmites have been broken off. If I can encourage the Park Ranger that a Cache, and Cachers practicing CITO would help it, at least for runoff water, I might have a good chance og getting permission granted to place a Geocache/letterbox in a cave.

So please let me know if I get this and post on the Cache site Practice CITO, would cachers be willing to help me out?

I thinking of placing one (near Boston) that is in a very tall drainage tunnel. It is about 6 to 8 feet tall, 15 feet wide, with about 6 inches of rapidly running water on the floor. It drains into a local stream.

The question is, should I tell the cachers about the tunnel? My plan was to give the coordinates of the cache, not the entrance. Of course there'll be no signal at the location but I can easly measure it in feet and give the coordinates from the same spot above ground.

I had planned on making it a bit of challenge, the searchers would be above ground, very likely in the middle of a busy street but I would tell them on the cache page that the cache is not on the street and is in plain sight.

They'd have to sit and think and explore the terrain and eventually find the tunnel entrance.

Is this a good idea or a bad one?

I thinking of placing one (near Boston) that is in a very tall drainage tunnel. It is about 6 to 8 feet tall, 15 feet wide, with about 6 inches of rapidly running water on the floor. It drains into a local stream.

The question is, should I tell the cachers about the tunnel? My plan was to give the coordinates of the cache, not the entrance. Of course there'll be no signal at the location but I can easly measure it in feet and give the coordinates from the same spot above ground.

I had planned on making it a bit of challenge, the searchers would be above ground, very likely in the middle of a busy street but I would tell them on the cache page that the cache is not on the street and is in plain sight.

They'd have to sit and think and explore the terrain and eventually find the tunnel entrance.

Is this a good idea or a bad one?

good idea

maybe for a hint you could have something like "if you are having trouble, try looking about a half a mile southwest" or some such