Good Deal?

hopnnc

I'm dying to get started in this game!! I think it will make for some great 'adventures' with the kids! I need a GPSr but don't want to spend a great deal until I'm sure it's worth it.

I have the chance to purchase one of the following:

1. Garmin gps III+

or

2. Magellan Sportrak map...

They are $125 each (slightly used but in very good shape!)

Is this a good deal and which would you choose?

Thanks in advance for the help!!

--Hoppy

The III+ doesn't look like it has enough map memory to make it worth getting.  It was probably a good GPS in it's day, but that day is past.

...and what memory it does have will not work with any maps. It is only suitable for Points of Interest data. Given a choice between the two, I (a fanatical Garmin user too) would go for the Sportrak Map.

But if you search eBay for "Sportrak Map" (as I just did), you might see that $125.00 is a bit much for THAT GPSr. The next auction to expire has a bid of $127.50, and it includes A LOT of accessories like cables, map software, mounting brackets.

Try talking the seller down to $90.00 or less and get 'em to include some maps and cables. :blink:

Edited by Neo_Geo

I'm actually going to go against the concensus on this one.

I've used a 3+ since I started playing the game nearly four years ago. It is a great unit.

Since it can change from portrait to landscape, it is easy to use in my Jeep, as well as on trail. It is also waterproof and very rugged. I've stumbled and fallen on rocks with my unit in my hand, the unit smashing screen-down into the stone. No damage was made to the unit.

As you will see on the Garmin website, the 3+ does have mapping capability. It has enough memory that I keep about eight counties of detailed road maps in my unit at all times. The basemap on the unit includes all major roads in the Americas.

Edited by sbell111

Between those two I'd probably pick the SporTrak based on slightly larger memory if you later want to add maps and WAAS capability. But the III+ seems like a better constructed unit and the horizontal/vertical orientation options are nice for vehicle and handheld use.

However the $125 price seems high. A new Legend sells for around $140 and would be my preferred model over either of these.

$125.00 for a used sport track map is way to much. You can a new one a radio shack on clearance for about 169.00 and then get a 30.00 rebate from magellan website, also,keep in mind a used GPS has no warranty. A used sport track should be 75-100 dollars.

AS far as the Garmin, that is an old GPS but the price is more realistic than the price on the used sport track map, new the Garmin was about 300.00

[...and what memory it does have will not work with any maps. It is only suitable for Points of Interest data. Given a choice between the two, I (a fanatical Garmin user too) would go for the Sportrak Map.

This is not true, the GPS III+ does support map displays, You are confused with the GPS III which did not include map support.

I had the GPS III+ for years and it is a great unit. It DOES support map downloads and I could download more maps than I could hike in a week.

However, I must agree with others on several points plus here are my thoughts on the III+: 1. There are much better units for the outdoors. The antenna is somewhat fragile and I had to fix mine a couple of times. 2. The PC interface cable only uses a serial ports (no USB). All new laptops do not have a serial port so you can only download your maps from a home desktop. This is very inconvenient if trying to download maps while on the road. The Belkin serial port/USB adaptor is highly unstable and works only about 30% of the time.

For a few bucks more, you could get a brand new unit with similar or better features.

---------------------------------------

www.JackieandAlan.com

Thanks for all the input !! :P I'm not really sure how getting into this 'sport' will go over (i.e. - how well the kids and I will get into it) this is the reason I didn't want to spend much to just try it out. With all your suggestions I think I'll shop around a bit more and see what else I can find. The Legend seems like a very popular entry level GPSr, I'm just concerned that it will be a bit hard to read the display in the Jeep as I will have to mount it somehow (if only I had a third hand!).

Again, thanks for the advice and keep it coming!! (Sucks being the noob sometimes!!) ;)

--Hoppy

Thanks for all the input !! :o I'm not really sure how getting into this 'sport' will go over (i.e. - how well the kids and I will get into it) this is the reason I didn't want to spend much to just try it out. With all your suggestions I think I'll shop around a bit more and see what else I can find. The Legend seems like a very popular entry level GPSr, I'm just concerned that it will be a bit hard to read the display in the Jeep as I will have to mount it somehow (if only I had a third hand!).

Again, thanks for the advice and keep it coming!! (Sucks being the noob sometimes!!) :rolleyes:

--Hoppy

Velcro.... I use velcro to stick my Legend to my dashboard while I am driving or I have strapped to my left leg.

I would follow the suggestion and spend the extra 10 bucks for the Legend.