New Mapsource Metroguide Europe 6

Hi,

I'm not sure if this has been posted elsewhere (I couldn't find it), but I noticed the other day that Garmin's Metroguide Europe 6 is out. My GPS came with version 5, I've updated the Mapsource software (see Garmin site) but I was wondering if anyone knows of any major changes to the mapping?

I'm only really bothered about the UK mapping so if there have been no changes then I won't even entertain the idea but if there are new features (footpaths would be like manna from heaven) then I'd consider getting it.

Cheers, Ash. (thirtyfootscrew).

Metroguide Europe V6 has been available for some time now. You can compare your version with V6 by using the "Mapsource Map Viewer" on this page. It's a bit slow and clunky, but gives you an idea of the detail changes (if any) in your area.

Garmin have also (just) released an upgrade (V.7) to City Select Europe. (This is the one which works with self-autorouting units.)

I have contacted Garmin UK to ask about availability, dates and prices but no reply has been received, as yet (Sunday 16th)

I have contacted Garmin UK to ask about availability, dates and prices but no reply has been received, as yet (Sunday 16th)

If and when thy do reply please share the info. This is what I have been waiting for since I got my Legend C and found the self routing was good but only covered the most major of roads and that city select 6 was harder to find than rocking horse droppings. :blink:

Edited by capsecum

If and when thy do reply please share the info.

OK. Most of this info is on the Garmin website, but it's a bit difficult to filter, so I summarize here...

Mapsource City Select Europe V7.

If you have a registered copy of CSE V6, which was purchased AFTER 30/11/04, the update to V7 is free.

Otherwise, a charge equivalent to USD 100.00 applies.

The update comes on a CD, which can be ordered by sending an e-mail with your full name and postal addy, to: <upgradeoffer.europe@garmin.com>

Once the CD arrives, you then log onto a payment web page (if applicable) and fork over your $100.00 for an unlock code. (There is no charge for the CD itself.)

Garmin UK say that CDs are being sent out now, and they expect to have despatched all current requests before the end of this month. (Jan)

Hth,

If you have a registered copy of CSE V6, which was purchased AFTER 30/11/04, the update to V7 is free.

Otherwise, a charge equivalent to USD 100.00 applies.

I am probably being dense here but...

As a non city select (any version) owner can I get the upgrade disk and pay the $100 for a working copy of v7???

Or

do I still need to look for a non-upgrade version of city select?

Mapsource City Select V7 - The Verdict

Well, it arrived (on no fewer than three CDs). I paid for it, installed it, and took a look at it...

Let's get the big question out of the way, first: does this upgrade contain a wealth of new and additional map and POI detail?

No, it doesn't.

For England and Wales, there are only minor revisions - where you might expect them. The M6 northern relief road is marked. London's City Airport makes an appearance, and the Channel Tunnel is no longer shown as a driveable highway, as it was in V6.

Most airports have received some attention - access to Stansted is now more like the real thing. Most of the A14 now appears to be in the right place.

Users in Scotland and the IOM could have hours of fun, playing "spot the difference" between the two versions. I did.

Some other European countries benefit more from the update. Significant additional detail is shown in Spain, Portugal, Eire (at last!) and the Czech Republic.

The POI database had had some attention, and there seem to be noticeably fewer filling stations in the UK - which may actually be the case.

So... is this update to V7 worth sixty-ish quid of your money? If must have the latest software just for the sake of it, then yes, If you live in Ireland, Portugal or Spain, then probably.

Otherwise... probably not. -Wlw.

Exactly, why are we treated as milch cows when it comes to gps,s and digital mapping.

Because Garmin are a commercial company who have a right to (try and) make money.

Whereas...

We are consumers who have a right to make informed choices. Which is why I posted the review, there being no other available on the 'net that I could find.

Instead of complaining here, why not write to Garmin saying something along the lines of... "I don't want City Select V7. I want decent topographical mapping for Europe, at large scales and with selectable detail levels. Now, am I gonna GET what I want - or do I have to take.. the.. big.. gun..out?

<_<

Hi,

understand the way it works but in the case of Garmin they never quite come up with the goods so you are put in a position where you know you are buying a product that is not quite what you really can make full use of. Also the Garmin cs for instance in the states can be bought for about £230 whilst in this country it is priced at over £5OO even though there are no British Topo maps you can run on it . :o;):o;) I could add further comments but will decline to do so.One good thing in Garmins favour however is the way they seem to deal with repairs etc unless anybody knows otherwise?

Thanks for the review, I'll hold off for now I think - besides, that pesky voice inside my head is telling me get a PDA and Memory Map. Unfortunately the pesky voice behind the bank manager's desk tells me not to.

I'll just go away and have a few pints of cask-conditioned medicine instead, at least it makes the voices stop!