How Do I 'project' Coordinates?

cajunsis

A cache I would like to find today is from a 'projected' place in the gulf. I can't go into the gulf - and I know where the cache is (basically) but how do they want me to do this? I don't want to just go where it is, I want to do it by the directions they give me. Help?

It is for this cache: http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...dd-b74cb8640734

Can someone tell me where to look for directions on finding at bearing and figuring this out?

Thanks, CajunSis

There are various methods of doing this. Depending on the model GPS you have, you may be able to do it right on your GPS; with the Garmin's 60 & 76 series, you would enter the given waypoint (N 29° 23.600 W 091° 30.233 for your 'cache) and then click the "Menu" button and select "Project Waypoint" and enter the bearing and distance.

What you are being told to do is enter the waypoint given to you in your GPSr/mapping application (N 29° 23.600 W 091° 30.233) and then project (create) a new waypoint that is 27 miles away on a bearing of 040 True.

This may seem primitive. One approach would be to enter the coordinates given, go to the NEW location, take a regular compass along with you. Now find the line that points toward the coordinates and meets the 40 degree qualification using the regular compass. How far from the coordinates are you now? Let's guess that you might be almost the 27 miles away, so you back up on the 40 degree line, watching for good hiding places, until you're closer to the 27 miles.

By George I think I have it! I knew I could do it on my GPS (Garmin 60cs), and I was r-e-a-l-l-y close, but I just could not figure out how to change the numbers. Thank you SO much for helping me out.

We did find the cache, and I am still going to try to do it the old fashioned way, but gosh this GPS is just awesome! I get more and more impressed with it every day.

Thanks again, I really do love this board. You all are such wonderful helpers.

CajunSis of the CajunCrew

Too late then, oh well, here's the Garmin 60 series process for anyone else that comes looking:

FIND - (WAYPOINT or RECENT FIND) to select the reference / starting point - MENU - PROJECT WAYPOINT - then use the arrow keys and ENTER to select each data field (including units mi,ft,yd,km,m,nm) to enter your offset information of distance and bearing.

Keep in mind that there is a setting in setup for magnetic variation and that can throw off your results if it is on or off and that setting is different from the cache placer's GPS.

MENU - MENU - SETUP - HEADING

north reference and variation are displayed here

Too late then, oh well, here's the Garmin 60 series process for anyone else that comes looking:

FIND - (WAYPOINT or RECENT FIND) to select the reference / starting point - MENU - PROJECT WAYPOINT - then use the arrow keys and ENTER to select each data field (including units mi,ft,yd,km,m,nm) to enter your offset information of distance and bearing.

Not too late for me - I was having the hardest time trying to figure out how to change the units. Now it seems so obvious! Thanks DBleess!