Gathering Cache Intel

gridlox

How do "you" determine where a good place for a cache would be, when you go to hide them?

We are in the planning process of the placement of our first hide.

This is to be a kid friendly trading cache with lots of cars and trinket/jewelry for the kids as the trade items.

So, we want to place it in or very near a local park.

Would this be in bad form?

We are considering placing temporary "mines". :blink:

They are going to be disposible Glad type containers with a single car in the places we have scoped out. Then watching them to see which one gets disturbed or muggled the least. Then using that as our final spot. Then going back and removing all of the decoys when we make the final placement.

While we do want this one to be kid friendly, we don't want it to be a "Dash & Cache".

D-man :D

Edited by gridlox
How do "you" determine where a good place for a cache would be, when you go to hide them?

I make sure its far from a trail or popular area where it is likely to be accidently discovered. I also look for a place I can conceal it and leave it as natural looking as possible. The URPs and UPOS (Unnatural rock piles and unnatural piles of sticks) often used to conceal caches beg to be investigated by curious passersby.

Rock crevices, hollow trees and stumps make good hiding places because its easy to conceal a cache in them without visual clues that something might be hidden there.

They are going to be disposible Glad type containers with a single car in the places we have scoped out. Then watching them to see which one gets disturbed or muggled the least. Then using that as our final spot. Then going back and removing all of the decoys when we make the final placement.

I don't think this is worth the time and effort it will take. As long as your cache is well concealed, not where someone searching for it is likely to be observed (this is probably one of the leading causes of discovery by muggles) and far enough off the beaten path, theft should not be a problem. A decent camo job also helps.

You'll never make your cache theft proof, particularly from the "professional" cache theif, but as long as you hide it well and away from the crowds you can greatly reduce the chance of accidental discovery and theft.

Edited by briansnat

I’m sure luck plays a significant role in which caches get muggled. The most out-in-the-open cache could sit undisturbed for months while some kids playing Transformers instantly discover the cleverest hide. I’m not sure the “mine” idea will really give you a true idea of each hiding spot’s vulnerability.

It’s a really interesting idea, though… it might be kind of fun to try.

I'm on side with subt here. Aside from the "Pro" (Someone who has a GPSr and either is a 'cacher him/herself or gets info from GC.com) almost all the mugglings I am aware of are coincedence. Let's face it, if you want it kid friendly, it can't be too high a terrain level, and in a park where aren't kids gonna get to at one time or another. Whether a "mine" gets found or not is, IMHO, a crapshoot. That said, it is an interesting idea, and if you go ahead with it, I would very much like to hear the results!

I sometimes go about it a bit differently. I see a spot and ponder...how can I place a cache there without it being muggled? Or I'll prepare a container and look for a spot that "fits" it.

Both methods require some custom work on the container, but they've served me well.

I've had some experience with cache maggots. Since then I am extra vigilant that my placements are such that they are not likely to be found accidentally.

It depends.

If I stumble on a spot that I think is cool I'll put a cache there.

Sometiems I have an idea and then need a spot that will work. I've got a night cache built and needing a suitable location.

Sometimes I'll get an idea make the container then realized that it won't work for what I originally wanted to do, and do something else.

After a while you do get a sence of what people will find accidently. You also get a sence of what cachers look for. That lets you make a hard accidental find and an easy geocaching find, or one hard for both or whatever combo you want.

In the end you develope your own style.

One of my best caches I had never been to the spot and never set the cache. I just found a cool spot on a map, did some net research and submitted a cache for the community to spot, place and stock. It's no longer approvable on this site but that didn't stop if from being one of my best caches (or rather the 3 people who helped me implement the idea's best caches)

Edited by Renegade Knight

One important aspect of cache placing I follow is how close is the cache to the general public or homeowner's view. If you place a cache "in the bushes" in plain view of 20 homes, someone is bound to call law enforcement about the "strange activity" going on. More caches get blown up because of non-geocachers seeing otherwise normal poeple acting wierd.

We are considering placing temporary "mines"... ...Then going back and removing all of the decoys when we make the final placement.

I say: Way too much work and likley too much time spent thinking about it inside your home.

Instead you might want to spend the time out in the field observing an area and asking yourself "How can I place this cache, in this immediate area, and have it be safe from accidental find?" If you can't get an acceptable answer from yourself then don't place a container there. Then go to a new area and repeat the excercise until you get a good answer.

That would be my advice.

Some caches take years to get muggled so your testing would likely prove inconclusive.