Which Magellan Gps Should I Get

D0T-C0M

First, The reason I'm sticking with magellan is because they make a decent gps plus I already have most of the map software which is very detailed for my area.

What model should I get? I'm looking at the explorist model gps from magellan. I want the usb option. Is the Explorist 600 worth the money over the 500? what are the big differences between the 500 and 600? Where in canada are the best prices?

Thanks as usual for everyone help

Edited by D0T-C0M

yeah I just saw that. It kinda sux that you can change batteries on the fly. Seems to be a big drawback for me as I do alot of 3 or 4 day canoe trips.

Also is the electronic compass the only difference between the 600 with the 500.

Edited by D0T-C0M

Sorry forgot to mention, I diffinately want color and want usb instead of serial data link. My laptop doesn;t have an external serial port and I'm not having much luck with my usb to serial cable.

meridian platinum 373$

explorist600 489$ with color and electronic compass and barometer

Thanks for replying

Edited by D0T-C0M

You gan get the meridian color. It has a SD card for map storage. The you can use a card reader to upload maps a lot faster than serial. I have a Sport Trak Color. I only change maps when I go to Canada Fishing. So 40 minutes to upload 30MB over a serial connection once a year is no big deal. Now the Platinum has a magnetic compass and Barometer. If you care about that. Having the Color screen is not a big plus. In my opinion. But cool none the less

Paul

Ok point taken on the meridian color.

so far these are the big differences between the explorist600 and the meridian color.

meridian color:

serial data link

SD card

no electronic compass

no barometer

uses AA batteries batteries changable

no built in geo caching

screen size 120x160 pixel display

explorist600:

usb data link

SD card

electronic compass

barometer

Li-Ion batteries batteries not changable

built in geo caching

screen size: unknown but looks as big if not bigger

Anything I'm missing?

Edited by D0T-C0M

The explorist 600 is supposed to have a 3-axis electronic compass. If you like using the built in compass it will be nice to get a way from the Hold Level "feature" as mentioned in another thread. :D

Currently using a Garmin Vista but looking into the magellan line just for the SD card capability. Unfortunately, if the Li-ion battery is not serviceable it will also keep me away from buying it. (So close and yet so far from the ultimate GPS :blink: )

explorist600:

usb data link

SD card

electronic compass

barometer

built in geo caching

Anything I'm missing?

We're having to do a little guesswork and reading between the lines since the upper Explorists haven't made it into anyone's hands yet. But here are some of my impressions (my bias: I'm getting a 600 so I may have some overly-optimistic interpretations of the available data):

When you say size is unknown, I think you may be talking resolution. The size of the Explorist screen is described in the specs as 1.8"X1.4" (the Meridians are 2.2"X1.75"). While size is smaller on the Explorist, resolution appears higher.

Another screen issue: the 500 & 600 is TFT color, while the Color Meridian is passive matrix (IIRC). I have read complaints from some that the CM screen can be hard to see in sunlight. Although the TFT screen is only 16 color (vss. the 256 color screen of the Garmin 60CS, for example), it seems to me that 16 colors should be sufficient for reading map information.

The physical size of the Explorist is smaller (4.6"X2.1"X1.2" vs. 6.5"X2.9"1.2") and the weight is lighter (4.6 oz. vs. 8 oz.).

With NiMH batteries as effective to use as they are, I see the L-ion batteries as a negative, too. However, it does appear that you can buy additional battery packs to replace in the field if you need them. Looks like these may cost around $50, so I'm going to wait and see how much I need that.

Check prices out, but I found the 600 for only $25 more at GPSCity. (This link takes you to the 300 page, but there is a "Family Tree" box with links to all the other Explorist models.) I think GPSCity has a Canadian presence, but I'm not sure of that.

I've been doing some fine reading of the Exporist 300 manual trying to figure out how Explorist firmware differs from Meridian firmware. It gets speculative figuring out what the 400-600 will look, but the 300 definitely is simpler (e.g., four data screens rather than the possible seven on the Meridians; fewer data field options). These changes are not necessarily bad, but I prefer to have more choices than fewer.

Lastly, if you haven't seen it you may want to read this more-or-less concurrent discussion of the new models. The consideration of the CM is a good thing to do, and the advice above is well-founded. It always comes down to one's personal preferences in the grand calculus, and I'm hopeful that the 600 will work well enough for my use.

Embra brings up some good points. And he refers to the other topic which should be read if you are considering the Explorist. I feel that the Li-ion battery is a plus based on my using them in PDAs and cell phones.

The antenna is only one part of the GPSr system. The quality/sensitivity of the receiver, speed of the processor, are also very important. I would prefer the quad-helix over a patch antenna, but only by using the unit can one see how well it works (I have heard that the Legend C is more sensitive/better performing than the original Legend.)

ALso from what I read the Li-Ion batteries in the explorist400-600 can be re-charged with a 4xAA battery pack up to 4 times. If this is so than that will ok for me as I only do an annual 4 day canoe trip that I want to get the track history, besides the odd geo-cache I mostly use my gps on my 4 wheeler for day trips.

Only thing that will make me go to the meridian color is the fact that when I do night riding I use the backlight alot and without it plugged into my bike cigarette lighter I'm afraid the batteries won't last. As it doesn't seem to have any external battery charging plug.

yeah the 12v charger is great but i'm assuming you have to open a back plate to charge it because on the magellangps site they have a 3d model of the explorist and i didnt see any external charging pins similar to the sportrak models. I'm crossing my fingers that i missed it

yeah the 12v charger is great but i'm assuming you have to open a back plate to charge it because on the magellangps site they have a 3d model of the explorist and i didnt see any external charging pins similar to the sportrak models. I'm crossing my fingers that i missed it

edit: i just re-checked the demo on the magellangps site and it was the explorist200 that was in the 3d demo. Hopefully the 600 will have external power plug that will keep the unit waterproof when charging.

Edited by D0T-C0M
Ok point taken on the meridian color.

so far these are the big differences between the explorist600 and the meridian color.

meridian color:

serial data link

SD card

no electronic compass

no barometer

uses AA batteries batteries changable

no built in geo caching

screen size 120x160 pixel display

explorist600:

usb data link

SD card

electronic compass

barometer

built in geo caching

Anything I'm missing?

First off, no one knows if the battery in the Explorist 400, 500, and 600 is changable or not, you can even call Magellan and there tec support people do not one for sure, the person I talked to thought it might be buy was not sure.

This statement that the battery cannot be change seams to be another one of the GPS Myths that get started in these forums from time to time. Why would magellan not want to have a lithium ion battery that cannot be replced, they would just be missing a chance to make money selling the batteries.

The Litium Ion battiers in small ham radios can be change as needed.

For most geocaching 14 hours is plenty of battery life.

Explorist 600

I know I am not the only who has called Magellan, for those who would like to

this is the phone number if anyone else wants to call them, If they get enough calls they might decided to train there staff.

909 394 5000

JohnnyVegas

Yeah I know about that but I can no longer edit that post to remove that statement.

Furthermore 14hours is probably best case scenerio. I do alot of night driving and use the backlight alot. I am crossing my fingers that the explorist600 will have a similar setup as the sportrak where you can feed the gps through a 12v cigarette lighter while in use. If not magellan will lose alot of petential customers IMO.

I'm looking at it from a cost and convenience standpoint. I have nothing against Li-ion per se--indeed, there are some performance plusses associated with them. But NiMH rechargeables are inexpensive and interchangeable with many of my other gadgets. For instance, being able swap out NiMH AA's between my camera, mini-mag lite, and GPSr lets me feel pretty well covered in the field.

I am reassured that it appears the Explorists will apparently allow swapping out battery packs, but I would rather pay $10 for 4 NiMH AA's than $50 for a proprietary battery pack. More money, and an additional Thing To Bring With Me.

I'll agree that we shouldn't get too much wind in our sails about how good or bad these battery packs work until someone gets some hands-on experience with them. I'm expecting that I'll live with them ok--and maybe even be persuaded that they represent an improvement. But for know I'm feeling a bit clingy with how well NiMH AA's work in my life.

I like the set-up found in my 2-way radios (Motorola T5950) -- in-unit rechargeable battery packs that can be easily swapped out for 3 AA batteries.

Considering the amount of "electronics" one takes into the field these days -- GPSr, digital camera, 2-way radio, flashlight, etc -- standardization in batteries is essential. For me, that means "AA" only.

If these new eXplorist's won't take AA, then Magellan just lost a potential buyer.

I like the set-up found in my 2-way radios (Motorola T5950) -- in-unit rechargeable battery packs that can be easily swapped out for 3 AA batteries.

Even easier is to use the 2 AA battery compartment of the earlier eXplorist models (and many other GPS receivers), but make it compatible with the RCR-V3 Li ion cell. The RCR-V3 is made in the shape of two side-by-side AA cells but with enough difference so the unit could have a switch to make sure that recharging would be turned off when regular AA cells are substituted.

The RCR-V3 form factor lets Li ion cells (which have a charecteristic voltage of about 3.6V) be used interchangeably with other AA cells. I believe the voltage is dropped slightly from 3.6 to 3.0 using a built-in diode so there's a slight loss of efficiency, but I'd gladly trade that for the flexibility of using other AAs and having a standard cell with easy replacement. The proliferation of non-standard Li ion cells is becoming a serious problem as some devices become unusable simply due to the lack of a compatible battery.

I'm more concerned about the fact that I might not be able to plug it in the cigarette lighter while still using it on my 4 wheeler as I use the backlight alot. I hope that it would use the same sort of external power pins like on the sportrak and meridian models but after examining the 3d demo of the explorist200 on the magellangps site, I never saw them on that model. This option will make or break my decision to buy this unit.

fingers and toes crossed.

Edited by D0T-C0M
I'm more concerned about the fact that I might not be able to plug it in the cigarette lighter while still using it on my 4 wheeler as I use the backlight alot. I hope that it would use the same sort of external power pins like on the sportrak and meridian models but after examining the 3d demo of the explorist200 on the magellangps site, I never saw them on that model. This option will make or break my decision to buy this unit.

Just think logically...

Does the 200 have any data connection? No. Do the 400 and up? Yes. So there will obviously be a connector.

Now, think about charging. Do you think you will have to take the battery out and charge it in an external charger? That would be quite stupid if it were the only mothod, but maybe nice as an option. Since you charge it by plugging in a cable to the unit, why would you not be able to do this in your car?

If you look back a few post you will see were embra left a link to a dealer that shows the 12Volt cable for the explorist.

htimsda and JohnnyVegas

Sorry if there was confusion in my last post,

I know you won't have to take the batteries out to charge them that would be silly, what I meant is that I hope the power connections are on the outside of the unit itself and that I don't have to open the back cover to plug it in. Thats why I made reference to the sportrak and meridian models that have these connections on the outside of the gps case. If I have to open the backside of the explorist600 to charge it or run it on external power than the unit will most likely be non-waterproof and this wouldn't be good for me as I want to be able to run the unit on external power from my ATV lighter connection as I do alot of night trail riding with the backlight on.

I was unaware that the explorist200 did not have a data port. I didn't really look further into it and assumed the 8MB extra memory was for maps. Thanks for pointing that out.

Edited by D0T-C0M

Dot-com, I think I have to retract my assertion that I saw a 3-D 4/5/600 demo. I poked around looking for it, but I think I just was viewing the same 1/2/300 demo that you saw on the Magellan site. I must have confabulated that with the large 2-D pictures they offer of the higher level models. Sorry for the bum lead.