Novel Cache Ideas

The Puzzler

Many of us are regularly looking for interesting and novel cache ideas. Many ideas have been addressed in a scattered manner in various other threads.

There are many interesting cache ideas that have seen a fair bit of use including night caches following reflectors that are not visible during the day, underwater caches able to be retrieved in various fashions, and stunning puzzle/multi-caches that truly stretch the mind and imagination.

What are the most enjoyable and novel ideas that you have encountered or thought of?

A 5/5 cache that used a interactive cd. It was way cool!!

mine! thats why I put them out there.

But, how exactly were these done? What specifically make these special? What would be useful for the rest of us to know about these so that we could use them for inspiration for caches we may want to put out there?

The particular interactive cd I found was about a pirate that used several different characters. You had to find the right character by listening to clues and inter react with him in order to find the correct coordinates. If you chose the wrong character....you would get the wrong coords.

El Diablo

G'day

Seen a couple of the relector type night caches including one which had a solor powered light highlighting the cache .... it is called Sun Makes Light. Really enjoyed this one.

There is also a webcam one which requires a dive, which is really interesting, but haven't done as I don't have a dive ticket; yet.

Regards

Andrew

Edited by Aushiker
The particular interactive cd I found was about a pirate that used several different characters. You had to find the right character by listening to clues and inter react with him in order to find the correct coordinates. If you chose the wrong character....you would get the wrong coords.

El Diablo

Where'd you get the CD?

Seems this would be quite a problem (or quite an expense for the cache owner)

Did you have to return the CD when done?

Do you know how many CD's the owner had to make, how many lost?

Sounds very interesting.

The particular interactive CD I found was about a pirate that used several different characters. You had to find the right character by listening to clues and inter react with him in order to find the correct coordinates. If you chose the wrong character....you would get the wrong coords.

El Diablo

Where'd you get the CD?

Seems this would be quite a problem (or quite an expense for the cache owner)

Did you have to return the CD when done?

Do you know how many CD's the owner had to make, how many lost?

Sounds very interesting.

The CD was left in one of 8 stages. There were many in there. I assume the owner keeps track and replaces as needed. No...we didn't take it back. There were so many variables on the CD that if you guessed wrong you would be going back for it.

There was a couple of stages where you had to take a hint from the cache. I imagine the owner stays fairly busy replacing items. :blink:

El Diablo

I set up a multi cache near the site of an event that was fun. The cache had five magnetic markers and then a final cache. To find each stage of the chace you had to walk right by the event location. I was not at the event until the end of the day, but people were telling me that they enjoyed watching people walking back and forth to find my cache.

mine! thats why I put them out there.

But, how exactly were these done? What specifically make these special? What would be useful for the rest of us to know about these so that we could use them for inspiration for caches we may want to put out there?

here's the linkto my caches.

these caches are unique to my area

The Radish-on TB hotel is one of the only 2 in the city that I know of and from what I have heard from other cachers, the best planned.

Don't find this cache is one of the few micros on my area and has a funny cache page

La$ Vega$ I'm still thinking about

Check out my Deep Dam Cache which many talk about but none have went after as of yet.

I am trying to think up of a cool multi in my area and have thought of using pay phones thru the area. It will be named Ma Bell. Since the phones have to have the number posted in case a 911 call is necessary, I will be utilizing the phone numbers as coordinates for the next leg of the cache. I thought maybe a phone card might be a novel FTF prize on the final leg.

I visited a multicache in Germany where you had to take the cache sheet, which contained a map with a strange patterned border. The first stage of the cache contained a "magic substance" (vegetable oil, I think) which you applied to make the paper (round the border of the map) translucent. You then folded the paper and could see the coordinates by holding it up to the light, as each side of the border contained half of each number.

I'd printed my sheet double-sided, which didn't make it any easier :o

Found one the other day that had pieces of coords on a toy slot machine's wheels. Crank the arm and see where you go!

(Three total stages, you might luck out and get the final coords or anywhere inbetween.)

The same hiders had placed one where you pick up a mirror at the beginning and use it to read the different stages.

I've got one you can only find when the wind's blowing (almost always here at the shore) as you have to get info from flags.

In a drain pipe, up a tree, on the moon...

That's what I appreciate about caching--ingenuity.

Enjoy,

Randy

O' I just love a micro in a rock pile, this is a very sarcastic statement. I like caches that are mathmaticlly based or have some degree of adventure. It is nice to find one after weeks of work and planning. Guess why I do caches that are that way.

cheers

Don't want to say too much, but...

It was hidden in a library. You were given a clue to help you find a real book. On that same shelf there ended up being a logbook. The logbook was all done up like a real library book. Very clever and not an easy find.

There is a cache in Portland, OR, the cache page of which admits plagiarizing the idea.

There is also a cacher here in WA who hid one of those in half a dozen libraries in his county, but he doesn't say that he copied the idea from someone else.

I was inspired at some point to hollow out a book and put it in the local library. I got a big hardback from the library's used book sale ($0.50). The library thought it was a fun idea and helped fill the cache. This cache probably gets the most praise of all my caches.

Interestingly, the approvers, although approving it without delay, suggested that they try to discourage library caches for some reason. I'm not sure why, given the possitive feedback they seem to get.

Hollowing out the book was also fun. I just dilluted some white glue and painted it onto the edges of all the pages (with wax paper between the pages and the cover to keep the book from being glued closed). After the glue was dry, I cut out the middle of the book with an utility knife (this was by far the hardest part). Drilling out the corners and then using a coping saw to cut from one corner to the next might have been easier. After cutting out the pages, I painted the inside with diluted white glue also, giving a good solid hollow book in the end.

Then, the library processed the cache as they do all their new books and put it on the shelf with all the right sickers and stamps.

All in all, it has been and continues to be a fun cache to own and check up on.

I've done a bunch of multi's around COvered Bridges. You go to 3, 4 or 5 bridges, gather clues from questions about the bridges to then determine the coordinates where the cache container is hidden. Here's one.

There are endless possibilities: waterfalls, beer halls, cheeze factories, mountaintops, steel bridges, etc. The thing I also like about it is that you can explore lands that you cannot place the container since that could be placed just outside the forbidden area similar to an offset-multi. My above cache is a sample of that.

Think out of the box! :huh:

on the moon...

;):D

How'd you hide that one?

;):huh:

Seriously, what's this one?

Also having a light interest into Amatuer Astronomy, I was thinking about a way to incorporate Astronomy into a cache hide.

But have yet to find any way what-so-ever.

Other than a theme cache with space stuff as the goodies.

D-man :D

I'm not into astronomy, but here's something that might work. Use the coordinates of a location let's say in a field with a clear view of the sky. That will be the location posted on the cahce page. The actual cache container will be hidden in the wooded area surrounding the fielkd that the cacher will have to determine the coordinates. Assuming there's a book, program or web page that tells you where the constellations are located by azimuth/elevation from a particular spot by date/time, you will publish on the web page the azimuth/elevation where a particular constellation will be seen at let's say Sat night at 9pm. Post the azimuth/levation for each Sat night for that constellation. Obviously, the cacher can only seek your cache on Saturdays night ona clear day, but you can post 26 Saturdays at a time updating the cache page every 6 months.

Then they go out into the field, look up at the azimuth posted, see what constelation is there. You have listed let's say 4 different constrelations and coordinates of 4 spots nearby in the woods. Only one constellation and the coordinates is the correct one. He then enters the coordinates in his GPS and goes and gets the cache.

What d'ya think?

Edited by Alan2

I did one the other day that had my wife laughing out loud. It is called "Beware of Snakes" and is an urban log-only cache. When you find the container and open it, there is a smaller (Large Pill bottle size) container inside with a screw top on it. When you open it, a large spring snake comes out and scares the crap out of you. My wife was watching me from the truck, and I could hear her laughing, even through the closed window. All at my expense.

First, since you asked, here's the page (it's more about math than astronomy): Cache on the Moon

Also having a light interest into Amatuer Astronomy, I was thinking about a way to incorporate Astronomy into a cache hide.  But have yet to find any way what-so-ever.

Here's a great concept I heard someone else had done, space 9 caches out in your state the relative distance from each other that the planets are from the Sun!

Great way to actually give a "feel" to that relationship. You could also scale that down to fit 9 or 10 (if you include Sol) stages in big park as one multi instead of separate caches (which would be more likely to get done together).

I want to orchestrate that here, through local volunteers someday when I plot good spots on a state map.

Another idea would be a take-off on the old, two caches with final in middle or four caches with final at junction of "X"...

"Big Dipper"

Provide X stages matching location of all but one stars that make a constellation and the final cache is where the "missing" star is. Can be done for any constellation...

Simpler would be stages drawing the constellations when they look at their track log (ala' living Etcha-sketch (sp?)).

Brainstorming off Alan's suggestion, instead of AltAz you could tell them to convert the RA/dec of a certain star and use their GPS to project a waypoint from lat/long. Provide some formula to convert RA to distance and use Declination for Bearing.

IE, "Rigel": Final container is 515' from posted coords at a True North bearing of 352 degs. Simply tell cachers to concatenate (shove together) the numbers of the R.A. and use the Declination as bearing...

If you're nice, you'll tell them which star to use, to make it more challenging, just make it the cache name! (OK, allude to it in the hint...)

You could obviously take any old traditional cache and substitute the coordinate numbers with numbers from astronomy (magnitudes of fixed stars). Oh! 'Twould be really cool if it could be from stars in a certain constellation and in order per their greek letters (but that would be practically impossible to match) You wouldn't tell them what order, just where to find and substitute the numbers (the encrypted hint could be "alphabetical").

That's as far as my brainstorming is going at the moment...

Enjoy,

Randy

Oh! Wait another idea similar to my arboretum cache (which provides coords as: 41 12.Ginko,Chestnut,Maple 073 21.Maple,Birch), you could provide coords as 41 12.UrsaMajor,Orion,Cassiopiea etc... simply substitute the number of stars typically attributed to each constellation. (7,7,5 in that case...)

I'm not into astronomy, but here's something that might work.

I love the idea of an astronomy cache that would only be findable on a certain day of the year, or certain days of the year. But, since predictable astronomical alignments are intrinsically predictable, the cache could be set up so that it would be easy to find on certain days, but would require quite of bit of research and calculation to find it on any other day at any other time.

I too have thought about how this might be done, to no avail, until now.

Thanks for the ideas Alan. If I understand it right, you are proposing essentially a multicache where there is some reference point that the cacher finds. Then, by using a particular astronomical alignment for a particular time, at that particular place, the final cache location could be determined from astronomical alignments?

Very cool idea.

I love the idea of an astronomy cache that would only be findable on a certain day of the year, or certain days of the year. But, since predictable astronomical alignments are intrinsically predictable, the cache could be set up so that it would be easy to find on certain days, but would require quite of bit of research and calculation to find it on any other day at any other time.

I too have thought about how this might be done, to no avail, until now.

Thanks for the ideas Alan. If I understand it right, you are proposing essentially a multicache where there is some reference point that the cacher finds. Then, by using a particular astronomical alignment for a particular time, at that particular place, the final cache location could be determined from astronomical alignments?

Very cool idea.

Well the astronomical alignment data would be published by you t match the constellation you select initially with the correct cordinates for the cache container. Let's say the Big Dipper. No matter what Saturday they go, the azimuth/elevation will always be published by you to point to the Big Dipper.

The thing I like about it is any cacher can do it with little astronomy knowledge. All they need is a compass to point to the azimuth and some idea about degrees above the horizon. You could include a picture of all four constellations on your cache page for their reference.

RJFerret: What is RA/Dec?

I can answer this for you.

Right Ascension - Celestial longitude measured eastward along the celestial equator in hours of time from the vernal equinox.

Declination - Celestial latitude measured in degrees north or south of the celestial equator.

The sky is mapped out with a grid system very close in nature to the lat/lon that we use to find the caches with.

But instead of listing the lat/lon of the sky they are listed as RA/Dec.

D-man :(

I'm not into astronomy, but here's something that might work. Use the coordinates of a location let's say in a field with a clear view of the sky. That will be the location posted on the cahce page. The actual cache container will be hidden in the wooded area surrounding the fielkd that the cacher will have to determine the coordinates. Assuming there's a book, program or web page that tells you where the constellations are located by azimuth/elevation from a particular spot by date/time, you will publish on the web page the azimuth/elevation where a particular constellation will be seen at let's say Sat night at 9pm. Post the azimuth/levation for each Sat night for that constellation. Obviously, the cacher can only seek your cache on Saturdays night ona clear day, but you can post 26 Saturdays at a time updating the cache page every 6 months.

Then they go out into the field, look up at the azimuth posted, see what constelation is there. You have listed let's say 4 different constrelations and coordinates of 4 spots nearby in the woods. Only one constellation and the coordinates is the correct one. He then enters the coordinates in his GPS and goes and gets the cache.

What d'ya think?

pretty easy to guess. 25% probability.

I doubt many would find finding the right constellation enough of a challenge with the odds of a guess so high. Much easier to just make 1 to 4 hunts (depending on your luck) or to consult Skyglobe for the answer.

Many people consider finding a "back door" to a puzzle to be as much fun (and as legitimate) as solving the puzzle.

might want to increase complication a bit.

Since that's been answered nicely, the reason I mentioned it is you wouldn't have to publish a list of Alt/Az on the cache page for certain dates/times.

The RA/Dec stays the same--it would then be up to the cacher to be sure that constellation is viewable whenever they intend to go.

If you were in the northern hemisphere and very kind, Cassiopeia is nearly always visible as it's the "W" close to the North Star.

As you move southward, fewer constellations are visible as often...(reducing the times of successful visitation).

If you were to provide Alt/Az at certain times (say every weekend in the evenings), cacher's would have to check each weekend for clear weather. OTOH, if you used RA/Dec, anytime it's clear cacher's could go, weekdays, mornings, etc.

Enjoy,

Randy

I did a cache this summer, that involved astonomy, but you didn't know it until you started figuring it out. The cache had a group of coordinates that had some kind of relationship and one set of coordinates was missing. I turned out to be a map of a constellation with one star missing. Filling in the missing star led you to a box with numbers that plugged into a formula that gave you the final coordinates. The 'Ah Ah!' moment was great. The cache was an easy find after a tricky time figuring it out.

I love the idea of an astronomy cache

Last fall I did a cache (GCKGC9) that started at Earth and went all over the county from there. Each cache represented a different planet and represented the precise distance from earth that it was. It took me two days because I started too late. It was doubly good, since the information on each planet was included in the cache along the way. One of the more challenging I have done in terms of distance traveled between stages. It has only been done by three people.

I'm not into astronomy, but here's something that might work.  Use the coordinates of a location let's say in a field with a clear view of the sky.  That will be the location posted on the cahce page.  The actual cache container will be hidden in the wooded area surrounding the fielkd that the cacher will have to determine the coordinates.  Assuming there's a book, program or web page that tells you where the constellations are located by azimuth/elevation from a particular spot by date/time,  you will publish on the web page the azimuth/elevation where a particular constellation will be seen at let's say Sat night at 9pm.  Post the azimuth/levation for each Sat night for that constellation.  Obviously, the cacher can only seek your cache on Saturdays night ona clear day, but you can post 26 Saturdays at a time updating the cache page every 6 months.

Then they go out into the field, look up at the azimuth posted, see what constelation is there.  You have listed let's say 4 different constrelations and coordinates of 4 spots nearby in the woods.  Only one constellation and the coordinates is the correct one.  He then enters the coordinates in his GPS and goes and gets the cache.

What d'ya think?

pretty easy to guess. 25% probability.

I doubt many would find finding the right constellation enough of a challenge with the odds of a guess so high. Much easier to just make 1 to 4 hunts (depending on your luck) or to consult Skyglobe for the answer.

Many people consider finding a "back door" to a puzzle to be as much fun (and as legitimate) as solving the puzzle.

might want to increase complication a bit.

Sure if someone uses a backdoor but calculating on their PC at home first, that's OK. They still are involved in an astronomy cache the hider's interest. You can always complicate the guess by oincreasing from 4 to 8 constellations and coordinates. With 7 wroing and only one right coordinate, that's a lot of guessin a trying.

I'm not sure of the RA dec described by Ferret. Most cachers understand a compass direction and can estimate elevation in degrees. But don't you really need an understanding of RA/Dec to use t?

I just put out a new puzzle cache titled Picture That! I'm sure the idea is not unique, but I dreamed it up myself.

I include two photos of different buildings, with my hand and GPSr in the corner of the frame. To determine the location of one of the clues, you must first determine the exact coordinates of the spot I was standing when I snapped the photos, then go to a point exactly halfway in between the two waypoints.

The hard way would be to drive around town and locate the two spots, mark waypoints, and calculate from there. Those who are familiar with locationless caches, however, soon realize that the photos were ones I originally snapped to claim credit for two different locationless caches. Then it just becomes a matter of looking through my profile gallery, spotting the two matching photos, and there you have the coordinates from which to calculate. You should know the intermediate waypoint before you ever leave home.

I'm not sure of the RA dec described by Ferret. Most cachers understand a compass direction and can estimate elevation in degrees. But don't you really need an understanding of RA/Dec to use t?

Actually, you already do--it's just Latitude/Longitude in the sky. (There are celestial poles and equator, etc.)

Around here, cachers who use/understand compasses are in the minority actually.

I like that photographic concept Chance (new to me too), and your Rush quotes!

Heh,

Randy