Hiking Boots

alex&mack

I want to get some new hiking boots, something that will work well from the late winter on.

Will a single pair work, or should I look for different footwear for each season? I have some "snowmobile" boots that I currently use in the winter here, but they are heavy and clunky.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

My wife calls me Imelda Marcos. But I use a different GPS for different activities, and a different boot for different...

Boots.jpg

I mostly wear the cheap Hi-Tech's on the left. The grey Raichles near the center have the most hiking miles on them.

Edited by miki_dog

I use Bates Enforcer and Matterhorns from Cove . Both can be bought from

US CAV . :ph34r:

Always listen to your feet . I do suggest high 8"+ , waterproof, and insulated but do shop around for the best price . Try local Army / Navy store or a go outdoor outfitter to see what you have available . ;)

Edited by c88m

In every one of the "what hiking boot should I get?" threads people will respond with things like "get Danner boots, they are the best", or "You simply have to get Rachlies". Well sure, those boots are great...for that person. A brand of hiking boots that are heaven on one person's feet can be hell on another's.

Fit is the key. The best made hiking boots in the world are useless if you get blisters after a few miles of walking.

So go for a good pair of boots that fit YOU and don't pay a bit of attention to what brand of boot others say you should buy. The key is to go to a quality outdoors store and deal with a knowledgable bootfitter.

So go for a good pair of boots that fit YOU and don't pay a bit of attention to what brand of boot others say you should buy. The key is to go to a quality outdoors store and deal with a knowledgable bootfitter.

Quality and fit, yes. To this I would add that you should get boots you can return after wearing them around the house. Even good, well-fitting boots can cause problems for subtle reasons--tongue shape, seams, creases, lacing design, etc.--that don't bother other people. Wearing them for a couple hours will often reveal potential problems.

Also, look carefully at the removable insole which is often the forgotten element in boots. A different insole or custom orthotics can make all the difference on long hikes.

Most of us learn through trial and error what brands work for us. For my relatively normal sized foot that pronates, I've had best luck with Mephisto shoes and boots. On the expensive side but superior quality and fit.