Garmin Gpsmap 60

Well isn't that interesting! http://www.garmin.com/products/gps60/

I checked a few sites, I didn't see any.

I wonder how popular they are going to be.

Actually, I'm looking for the gpsMAP 60 http://www.garmin.com/products/gpsmap60/

The sites that do have it listed all have it backordered......like cabelas, or pre-order like: http://gpsworldsupply.com/gps_world_supply...um=010-00322-10

I'm just curious if anybody knows when they'll start shipping.

Edited by JackStraw_1969
Actually, I'm looking for the gpsMAP 60 http://www.garmin.com/products/gpsmap60/

Sorry, that's what I meant to list.

I'm still interested in how either ones does in the market.

I've checked a few more site, still nothing.

I'll be quiet now.

Edit: Mongo not type good.

Thats cool. Thanks for the reply. Most of the sites I've found have it right around $250.00.......not bad for the features......not sure tho, I may go with a C if I can find the right price!

Seems like the older GPS V is also very similar from a feature standpoint, but it includes City Select-NA for about the same $250 price.

The better battery life of the Map60 would be an issue if I didn't always use rechargeables, but otherwise the units seem similar:

24 vs. 19 MB of memory

probably a faster processor on the Map60 (better for reroutes)

better basemap on the V

USB serial interface on the Map60

form factor a bit better for hiking on the Map60, but much better for the car dash on the V

'geocaching mode' and better games on the Map60.

Overall I'd opt for the V (and have), primarily based on the lower total price when including the CitySelect maps.

Seems like the older GPS V is also very similar from a feature standpoint, but it includes City Select-NA for about the same $250 price.

The better battery life of the Map60 would be an issue if I didn't always use rechargeables, but otherwise the units seem similar:

24 vs. 19 MB of memory

probably a faster processor on the Map60 (better for reroutes)

better basemap on the V

USB serial interface on the Map60

form factor a bit better for hiking on the Map60, but much better for the car dash on the V

'geocaching mode' and better games on the Map60.

Overall I'd opt for the V (and have), primarily based on the lower total price when including the CitySelect maps.

Thanks for your input. I'm looking at the 60 mainly because of the faster processor and USB. That and it's 4oz lighter and every little bit helps!

I got the 60C for christmas thru Amazon.com. The problem i have is I can't get the geocache navigation screen to come up. I get the information screen but when I hit go to it switches to the map or regular compass. So it does not show the found, note, data, or stop options at the bottom of the screen. Anyone know what I'm doing wrong? Since I'm new to this I'm sure I'm just not using it right. HELP!

Edited by WINEGEN
That and it's 4oz lighter and every little bit helps!

Actually only 1.5 oz at least according to the Garmin specs. 7.5 oz vs. 9.0 oz with alkaline batteries included (the difference would be less with lighter lithium cells).

For backpacking I'll still use my eMap at 6.7 oz.

I got the 60C for christmas thru Amazon.com. The problem i have is I can't get the geocache navigation screen to come up. I get the information screen but when I hit go to it switches to the map or regular compass. So it does not show the found, note, data, or stop options at the bottom of the screen. Anyone know what I'm doing wrong? Since I'm new to this I'm sure I'm just not using it right. HELP!

Make sure you have configured you gps to ask if you would like to "follow road" or "off road". If you select "follow road" when navigating to a cache, the compass page do not display the geocahcing mode.

That and it's 4oz lighter and every little bit helps!

Actually only 1.5 oz at least according to the Garmin specs. 7.5 oz vs. 9.0 oz with alkaline batteries included (the difference would be less with lighter lithium cells).

For backpacking I'll still use my eMap at 6.7 oz.

The Garmin sites lists the GPSMAP 60 at 5.4oz, si I was rounding to get to 4oz...

http://www.garmin.com/products/gpsmap60/spec.html

The Garmin sites lists the GPSMAP 60 at 5.4oz, si I was rounding to get to 4oz...

http://www.garmin.com/products/gpsmap60/spec.html

That's without batteries. The weight with batteries is listed as 7.5 oz. In comparison the V is 9 oz with batteries (and 4.8 oz without).

Gotcha. The fact of the matter is I don't want a V, and started this post to find out if anybody knew when the MAP-60's would be shipping.

Thanks to all who answered the orginal question.

I talked to Steve at Garmin Friday. He said the GPSMap60 would be released by the end of this month. He also said it has only 24Mb memory, vs the 56 in the 60c, and it will NOT autoroute off the basemap. You must buy the software to do autoroute. On the MAP60c, you CAN autoroute off the basemap. He also said to expect the MAP 60 (b/w screen) to retail for right about $320 when released, and not show any significant price drops for several months. IMHO, you get a better deal with the GPSMAP 60c.

I talked to Steve at Garmin Friday. ... He also said it has only 24Mb memory, vs the 56 in the 60c, and it will NOT autoroute off the basemap. ... He also said to expect the MAP 60 (b/w screen) to retail for right about $320 when released, and not show any significant price drops for several months.

I'd have to question some of his statements. The feature list on Garmin's website indicates: "Built-in basemap with automatic routing capabilities" and the listed basemap is the same "America's Recreational" map that comes on the 60c&cs. As to price discounting, there are already retailers, like www.tvnav.com, who are taking preorders at a price of $250.

However, it is true that the basemap on the 60 and eTrexC series in general is even more limited in its coverage than other Garmin basemaps so from a practical standpoint the use of CitySelect for reasonable routing is almost mandatory. And that makes the 24 MB memory limit more critical than it would be with a more complete basemap.

I noticed the GPS60 on the page for The GPS Store. I think thier price is about $159. It is probably a preorder, but it doesn't say it is. Actually, I looked again and it says they will be shipping about Jan 24th. B) I also found them at Adventure GPS Products.

this quote refers to the GPS 60, but the OP was looking at the GPSMAP 60. I saw that price and wondered why I hadn't found that price while shopping around.

gpsnow says it's in stock:GPSnow.com

offroute.com says they ship in about 6 business days Offroute.com

Offroute was cheaper. I don't know anything about these websites, whether they are okay to deal with or not. Anyone have any experience with either of them?

I was just eyeballing these myself... Being a functioning Magellan SporTrak Pro owner, I"m reluctant to spend the money on something I don't need... but it sure does look like fun...

$100 more for color and more memory that *I* don't need are a dealbreaker for me.

Posted on Jan 19 2005, 04:38 PM

QUOTE (Texas Shadow @ Jan 15 2005, 07:06 AM)

I noticed the GPS60 on the page for The GPS Store. I think thier price is about $159. It is probably a preorder, but it doesn't say it is. Actually, I looked again and it says they will be shipping about Jan 24th.  I also found them at Adventure GPS Products.

this quote refers to the GPS 60, but the OP was looking at the GPSMAP 60. I saw that price and wondered why I hadn't found that price while shopping around.

gpsnow says it's in stock:GPSnow.com

offroute.com says they ship in about 6 business days Offroute.com

Offroute was cheaper. I don't know anything about these websites, whether they are okay to deal with or not. Anyone have any experience with either of them?

I was just eyeballing these myself... Being a functioning Magellan SporTrak Pro owner, I"m reluctant to spend the money on something I don't need... but it sure does look like fun...

$100 more for color and more memory that *I* don't need are a dealbreaker for me. 

Sorry, I didn't mean to comment on the wrong unit. Both the places I mentioned are advertising the Map 60 also.

Interestingly enough, Texas Shadow, when you go to Adventure GPS and try to add the MAP 60 to your cart to see the unadvertised price, it puts the GPS 60 in your cart at a very nice price for a MAP 60.

I tried calling them to check their price, but they are closed after 5. I'm always interested in checking out new websites to look for good deals, so thanks for pointing this one out. It's new to me. :huh: