Lake Rim Park In Fayetteville, Nc

dafunk22

OK, the title is a little over the top, but from what I have seen, not far off base. SmithMountainExplorers apparently have been contacted by TPTB in Lake Rim Park that they must remove their cache or have it removed because fireworks, an obviously banned item, were placed in a cache. We need to move now to reassure the local authority about geocaching or apparently lose some great places to cache. I am looking for help from local cachers. :D

what sort of help are you looking for? unfortunate that someone placed pyrotechnics in the cache. unfortunate that the lake rim park people extrapolated that to mean that the cache itself was the problem. for sure, i'd never have visited as many parks in the fayetteville area if not for geocaching. let me know. -harry

Ditto Harry's comments. I doubt I would even visit Fayetteville at all, if there were no caches there. Someone local should schedule a meeting with the park management. Share with them the mission of geocaching, nad how it fist within park and rec. area missions. Be sure they understand the FAQ of what a geocache is and what should and should not be placed in one. There are some other resuorces available to bring to this meeting:

WE4NCS has a powerpoint presentation he could bring.

CYBret's Geocacher-U website has downloadable brochures and other materials for presentations.

We, like Wimsey and Harry, didn't go to Fayetteville unless we had to. When we did go down there caching we saw the beauty of the parks there and its history. We spent quite a bit of time in the Airborne museum and have visited Lake Rim Park just because we were there not because of a cache there. Because of geocaching we have eaten meals there and spent other monies we never would have. Some of our favorite and most challenging caches have been in Fayetteville. Lake Rim Park is a beautiful and well used park with something for everyone. It will be a shame if there is no caching anymore. I don't know how we could help but please let us know.

:D I knew I'd get this kind of response from such a great group of geocachers. I may be able to find the time to meet with the parks in the next month or so. I would love whatever help I could get. It's hard to know where the line between peaceful coexistence and full disclosure lies.
We,  like Wimsey and Harry, didn't go to Fayetteville unless we had to.  When we did go down there caching we saw the beauty of the parks there and its history.  We spent quite a bit of time in the Airborne museum and have visited Lake Rim Park just because we were there not because of a cache there.  Because of geocaching we have eaten meals there and spent other monies we never would have.  Some of our favorite  and most challenging caches have been in Fayetteville.  Lake Rim Park is a beautiful and well used park with something for everyone.  It will be a shame if there is no caching anymore.  I don't know how we could help but please let us know.

I pass through from time to time. I may visit the Airborne museum. But the reason would be primarily to cache. If there are none there I doubt I would do anything except "pass through every once in awhile."

We recently visited Fayetteville to cache, and certainly wouldn't have been there if not for that. We visited Lake Rim Park and enjoyed a "dafunk" cache - picked up a travel bug there. We enjoyed the park -- while I was hunting the cache, Jen watched some girls put on a show on the nearby stage. Later, we went to a local restaurant (the Crab Shack, or something like that) and spent about $70, counting tip.