Good Dc Caches??

laker2

I will be in the DC area for the upcoming weekend. Specifically I will be visiting the new American Indian Museum on the mall and will be staying at Washington National Cathedral. I will not have a car and will only be walking. I would appreciate suggestions as to two or three good cache sites near these two areas (mall, cathedral). Thanks much. :D

Laker2

One of the great areas to visit while in the Washington DC area is the Potomac Great Falls area, about 5 or 6 miles outside Georgtown. The C&O Canal ran out from Georgetown to Cumberland Maryland. I would try and look to see if there are any caches there. The transit system in Washington is non pareil, so you can get many places quickly. I looked on the website quickly and saw a lot of virtuals. Have fun.

I will be in the DC area for the upcoming weekend.  Specifically I will be visiting the new American Indian Museum on the mall and will be staying at Washington National Cathedral.  I will not have a car and will only be walking.  I would appreciate suggestions as to two or three good cache sites near these two areas (mall, cathedral).  Thanks much.  :D

Laker2

Having just done the District this summer on a long vacation with the kids, I found that most of the immediate caches were virtuals. Hoping to have something tangible to put my hands on, I was a bit disappointed. But I overcame that when I found that I could (and did) grab about 30 caches in a couple of days. My feet hurt, but boy did I see and learn a lot! I've been to the District many times, but this trip was the most enlightening, mostly thanks to caching. Hardest part was coming home and logging all of them!

Have a great time and pack really comfortable shoes.

BTW, the metro system is superb!

One of the great areas to visit while in the Washington DC area is the Potomac Great Falls area, about 5 or 6 miles outside Georgtown. The C&O Canal ran out from Georgetown to Cumberland Maryland. I would try and look to see if there are any caches there. The transit system in Washington is non pareil, so you can get many places quickly. I looked on the website quickly and saw a lot of virtuals. Have fun.

great area to visit but as it's natl park land, no caches... ;)

One of the great areas to visit while in the Washington DC area is the Potomac Great Falls area, about 5 or 6 miles outside Georgtown. The C&O Canal  ran out from Georgetown to Cumberland Maryland.  I would try and look to see if there are any caches there.  The transit system in Washington is non pareil, so you can get many places quickly.  I looked on the website quickly and saw a lot of virtuals.  Have fun.

great area to visit but as it's natl park land, no caches... ;)

National parks do not allow actual trading caches or even micros just for logging your visit.

If you check out my logs from Feb of last year, I hit DC with Czarniecki314 - we hit a ton of caches.

The more memorable ones - in VA is 395 Overlook, there is a cool virtual multi where the planets are on a street and they are spaced out proportionally and you answer questions from the plaques, there's one that is in a Victory Garden (can't remember the name) and a few other regular caches that bring you to cool neighborhoods that you would probably never explore if you weren't caching.

Have a great time!

edit: You would think I read ;) - ok, as someone said, the metro is great for getting you around town. But there are a TON on the mall - I don't think there are any regular caches, just virts but you will be able to hit a ton in a day. I believe there is one AT the Cathedral as well.

Edited by Squealy

Squealy is referring to the “Secret Garden” - - definitely need a car for that one. Downtown is mostly virtuals. Not only is most of the city National Park Property, folks would take a dim view to people hiding things in the downtown area nowadays. But for a regular cache try “Papal Potpouri.” It is on the Catholic University campus, which is accessible by metro. A lot of visitors also seem to like “Rose Park” and “Neglect,” which are in Georgetown. You can walk from one to the other. If you were going to take a cab, I’d got to Rose Park first, since the cache is actually in Rose Park (at the end of Dumbarton Street) while Neglect is in an abandoned grave yard (I would only visit in the day time). Have a safe trip.

Do a little search in here for DC Caches, there are few threads that cover some great DC caches. Ifyoucan mooch a bike you can do everything with in the city limits as well as the stuff in Arlington Cematary.

The one with the planets is Solar Sailing :P It happens to be mine ;)

Thanks for the good word Squealy.

-Robert

btw - you can get 30-50 easy if you so an early mall run remember building close at 5pm and I would skip Sqidly bugs thats a time killer.

-R