Force Re-routing On 60cs

I have question concerning the routing functions of my GPSMap 60cs. Let's say, for instance, I wanted to go from point A to point B. I enter my stuff and then the 60cs decides how to take me there and which roads to follow. Now, the question. Let's say I don't want to go that way and I want the unit to plot me a different course (in this case driving). Is there a way to do that? If I recalculate, it just decides to us the original route that it mapped out.

I haven’t tried this with my MAP 76CS but I am guessing that it will act the same as my GPS V, based on what I have seen in the manual. When I attempt to route from where I am to where I want to go and it tries sending me a way I don’t want to go, (confused yet :huh: ) I started driving the way I want to go. Unfortunately I often will have to force a recalculation several times before I am far enough along that the unit stops routing me back to it’s route. Another option that I have with the GPS V that seems to be missing on the MAP 76CS is detour on the turn by turn page. I don’t have the GPS here to check but that is something else that I have used to force a reroute with some success. Granted these only really work when I am somewhere were I know the area. In other areas the route will get me there but when I talk to locals about the route I used to get there I sometimes get a strange look and a “Why did you go that way?” But as I said I go get there.

I have found that if I do route planning with Map Source I often have problems with the routes it chooses and have to use A to B to C to D verses just A to D routing.

Just from having looked a many a route it appears that both attempt to route as close to a straight line between two points, with fastest time favoring expressways and highways. It seems to unaware of by pass routes.

Once the route is calculated, you can edit the route and insert a waypoint that is on the route you want to take. The GPS will then recalculate the route including that waypoint and should give you what you want. You may have to add more than one depending upon the differences between Garmins route and yours. Do not do as I did driving from Texas to South Carolina this Christmas, I inserted a city (Mobile, AL) as my waypoint and the route took me through downtown before it sent me back to the interstate. Use an intersection or other point of interest instead. At least that is how I did it.

I've found that selecting "avoid u-turns" in the routing setup will alleviate a lot of the "um, no, you MUST go back the way you came" problems. Not all the time, but a good chunk of the time.

Recently I had to set "avoid highways" temporarily, because I was trying to get from Point A to Point B, but not via the interstate because it was backed up. Until I set "avoid highways", it kept trying to get me to go back to the interstate - even though I have "avoid u-turns" on all the time.

I've also found that switching from "use quickest route" to "use shortest route" and vice versa will also give you different - sometimes favorable - results.

In other words, play with the settings. Unfortunately, there's not a magic fix. FWIW...

The Garmin GPS V has a nifty feature that allows adding a "viapoint" to an existing autoroute. Unfortunately they did not see fit to allow this in the new units like the 60 & 76 C/CS's. However you can do the same sort of thing on your handheld in "routes" by creating a route using an intermediate waypoint and your destination waypoint. With your map displayed pan to a spot on the road/highway that you wish to travel via and mark a waypoint which will be your intermediate. Create the simple route with that one and your destination and then click on "navigate/follow road, etc. You may have to use a couple of intermediates depending on the distance and the stubborness of your unit but one will usually do the trick.

Cheers, Olar

The Garmin GPS V has a nifty feature that allows adding a "viapoint" to an existing autoroute. Unfortunately they did not see fit to allow this in the new units like the 60 & 76 C/CS's. However you can do the same sort of thing on your handheld in "routes" by creating a route using an intermediate waypoint and your destination waypoint. With your map displayed pan to a spot on the road/highway that you wish to travel via and mark a waypoint which will be your intermediate. Create the simple route with that one and your destination and then click on "navigate/follow road, etc. You may have to use a couple of intermediates depending on the distance and the stubborness of your unit but one will usually do the trick.

You don't even need to mark/create a waypoint there. When you use the cursor to navigate to that particular portion of the road, hit ENTER. It will bring up the info, just select GOTO from there.

:blink: