Do The Regular Posters Intimidate?

El Diablo

I am going to admit right off that I haven't read this whole topic. I skimmed it, but did not "read" it all. Based on that, and the original post, I want to say this:

<long angst free post deleted>

i am shocked. carleen typed that entire post without using the word angst once. :rolleyes::o

Read it again. Section 3, last word.

slaps forehead with palm of hand and says D'OH!!!!

it's too early! i need coffee. :o

Yes, regular posters can be intimidating...if you let yourself be intimidated.

In the northeast forum, we encounter posters declaring their multi-hundredth find while we sit here with 24 finds after a year of geocaching (six months semi-active, so we average two finds a month.) But we are not in it for the numbers, so we don't let that intimidate us.

Eavesdropping on the exchanges, and making an occasional comment, is educational and, at times, entertaining. Some folks think our ideas are good. Some think they are dumb; I suppose if my feelings were easily hurt, that could be intimidating. But we pachyderms have tough skin. Besides, early on we discovered that if you admit your naivty/inexperience, most forum participants want to be helpful. Help is not intimidating.

For us, particpating in the forums extends participation in the geocaching world, even when we are not out in the woods poking our fingers into icky places looking for moldy Tupperware containers.

Bottom line: Thanks to the anonymity of the screen name, no one knows who we really are.

Edited by The Old Bet Brigade
It takes just as long to post a helpful response as a nasty one...which one would you rather receive?

The one that ultimately provided me with (or pointed me towards) more complete, accurate information.

Could you provide a useful answer without being nasty? If so, then why be nasty in your response...somewhat rhetorical question, but...

nfa-jamie

How dare you! My response wasn't "nasty" in any way what-so-ever!

(What? That's not at all what you meant?)

The preceding was an example of how miscommunications can, and so often do, occur in forums such as these, and how people (mis)perceive and overreact to them. I think we all need to remember that these are nothing more than words on a screen, and take from them only the information we consider "useful."

Edited by Bassoon Pilot

When I first discovered the forums and after reading them over a few days, it so disgusted me that I wanted to quit this hobby.

I'm glad some or most peoples first impressions on this game are not from what they read in the forums. If not well we would'nt have as many members as we do..

The first impression I got from these forums when I just glanced through the topics made me truly wonder about the kind of people geocaching, luckily I went to a cache event relatively early and realized from the people I met there that the ones in the forums are not a good representative of the sport in my area.

Thank goodness for that!!!! I hope others are as lucky...........

Edited by top pin
I also know that perception is reality.
Nonsense. Perception is not reality. That was the entire point of the "Chicken Little" story you were probably taught as a young child.

Perception can be reality, perception may be reality, but it is not a "given" that perception is (was, shall be) reality.

Even so, perception is what people go by, thereby making it their reality. It doesn't matter if it reflects the truth of the reality. The Chicken Little story accurately reflected people's attitudes towards their perceptions. Nothing much has changed from when that story was created, except there are more people susceptable to their perception of reality.

Even so, perception is what people go by, thereby making it their reality.

No, it remains merely that individual's perception of reality. I agree with how you stated it later in your post:

Nothing much has changed from when that story was created, except there are more people susceptable to their perception of reality.
Edited by Bassoon Pilot
I think I speak for many others when I say that we would never ridicule unless on extreme basis.

YES! Only EXTREME ridicule is allowed. Especially for newbies. :rolleyes:

(Didn't have time to read entire thread, but I couldn't resist such an open invitation. I'm sure someone else was able to misread it this way too. But if not, and I was the first, kool.)

Two: "Your stats are too low for you to have an opinion"

Yeah. I remember getting that one. Way back when. :rolleyes:

The one I hate are the morons that question your intelligence because you miss spelled a word. Spelling Zealots!

Misspelled is one word, you moron.

:o

The tricky thing for me is when I'm new to a hobby and I first enter the fora. I have encountered it with shooting, reloading, woodworking, and to a lesser extent here.

Off to the left, underneath my name, is says something like '50 posts'.

Even though I'm an intelligent person with good reasoning abilities, the regulars at times tend to take opinions from people like me as carrying less weight than someone with a huge number. Maybe the newer folks don't feel like 'putting in their time' to get the respect and would rather just cache?

Sometimes, the people with the huge numbers only achieve it because they post smart-aleck one-line responses to thousands of posts.

Sometimes, it is because they spend more time in the fora playing keyboard commando than out caching.

There is something to be said about earning the respect of your peers through your helpful posts.

What I like to see is when a newbie shows up and out of sheer excitement asks a question which has been asked a hundred times before, there always seems to be a few people out there who never run out of patience. They will either just answer the question again or tactfully suggest the poster try the search feature and post results. For the most part, people who are not patient enough for that don't read or don't respond to such posts.

There are the few people that act so exasperated whenever it happens, I just have to laugh to myself.

Well, that is my $0.03.

Even though I'm an intelligent person with good reasoning abilities, the regulars at times tend to take opinions from people like me as carrying less weight than someone with a huge number. Maybe the newer folks don't feel like 'putting in their time' to get the respect and would rather just cache?

Well, it's one thing to just look at your post count. Thing is, here you have a "joined date" and the benefit of caching stats. Take those together then you can get a better measure of what kind of stock you can place in someone's opinion.

Even though I'm an intelligent person with good reasoning abilities, the regulars at times tend to take opinions from people like me as carrying less weight than someone with a huge number.  Maybe the newer folks don't feel like 'putting in their time' to get the respect and would rather just cache?

Well, it's one thing to just look at your post count. Thing is, here you have a "joined date" and the benefit of caching stats. Take those together then you can get a better measure of what kind of stock you can place in someone's opinion.

About the only place I really consider a persons stats is when they post something on a cache. If they can't find a cache I know is hard and they have 22 finds, I'm not going to be too worried the cache is gone. The odds are it's outside their experience. However if they have 300 finds then it's probably time to check up on the cache. You have to factor other things in as well. If they have 2 finds and one is a specific cache that I know is similar then, I better check up on the cache.

In the forums though anyone with any number of posts can agree with me at any time and it won't hurt my feelings. As for the old dogs though, I know I'm not going to teach them any new tricks and I tend to know which way they are going to break on a debate. That is old ground so it's easy to make my case while they make their case and never directly debate. Well most of the time that is...It's not always that clean cut.

Even so, perception is what people go by, thereby making it their reality.

No, it remains merely that individual's perception of reality.

I think we're saying the same thing from different perspectives. If you have no other viewpoints to go by, and a person's perception of their situation is all they can go by... it makes it their reality. It doesn't matter if it's false or not.

I think that's where this thread comes into play making it a game of symantecs. Once enough viewpoints are in place, that perceived reality becomes clouded and it should cause an introspective look at how one might have misperceived what the intent really was.

Edited by TotemLake

i consider a significant number of cache finds to be a prerequisite in order to make statements like "i know it's right because all of the caches i have found" have been easy, correct, insert adjective here.

other than that, new people often offer a new perspective and being new does not make one stupid.

Two: "Your stats are too low for you to have an opinion"

Yeah. I remember getting that one. Way back when. :huh:

The one I hate are the morons that question your intelligence because you miss spelled a word. Spelling Zealots!

Misspelled is one word, you moron.

You're kind of slow aren't you?

I did that on purpose. TotemLake "got it". That made it funny.

You prove my point.GCrolleyespink.gif

I think that's where this thread comes into play making it a game of symantecs. Once enough viewpoints are in place, that perceived reality becomes clouded and it should cause an introspective look at how one might have misperceived what the intent really was.

Exellent point!

El Diablo

If they can't find a cache I know is hard and they have 22 finds, I'm not going to be too worried the cache is gone. The odds are it's outside their experience.

"Outside their experience." That's a good way to put it. It doesn't have to be something they logged either. Could be something they said here in the forums, too.

When I first discovered the forums and after reading them over a few days, it so disgusted me that I wanted to quit this hobby.

The first impression I got from these forums when I just glanced through the topics made me truly wonder about the kind of people geocaching

Ouch! I'm guessing you are not easily intimidated, Top Pin! :huh:

I don't agree with you though. I have found most of the topics/posts informative, usually polite and often funny. I haven't noticed a lot of flaming. (Maybe I'm looking in the wrong places!) I get the impression that it isn't tolerated and that's okay with me.

Finally, I only skimmed through this topic so maybe someone mentioned it already, but I don't think there are responses from more than 30 users with less than 100 posts in this thread.

Hmmm... Maybe you regulars ARE intimidating! ;)

Edited for clarity

Edited by Trinity's Crew

LOL Trinity,

You might be right about the low count posters.. I never even noticed that........

Okay I did forget to mention that I have seen some very intelligent posts and conversations on here. And have learned a ton from the posts on here also. So the negative comes with the good and the good outwieghs the negative. So I do have to give thanks to those that have posted some great posts and have been very helpful to poor souls like me.

The knowledge I've gained has been very helpful so if your one of those people, to many to list, pat yourself on your back..

Thanks again.

When I first discovered the forums and after reading them over a few days, it so disgusted me that I wanted to quit this hobby

I have found most of the topics/posts informative, usually polite and often funny. I haven't noticed a lot of flaming. (Maybe I'm looking in the wrong places!) I get the impression that it isn't tolerated and that's okay with me.

Its interesting to see how differently two relative new visitors to these forums perceived things. I'm not sure what to attribute it to. Perhaps its something in the individual's personality that causes one person to filter out the negative and the other to focus on it. Maybe it's just a matter of timing and one person visited right after a controversal move by GC.COM (e.g. the tsunami issue, restriction of virtual caches, major website changes, the "Texas mutiny", etc...) and the other person's first visit came during the relatively peaceful time in between. Perhaps its a bit of both.

We've seen numerous similar posts from newbies who were so put out by what they read here they claimed they were quitting the sport entirely (and a few veterans too) and for every one of those, there is a post from someone gushing about what a wonderful bunch we are.

There are enough of the former for me to wonder where they're coming from. I personally don't see this rampant newbie stomping and general nastiness that others point to. Maybe I'm too close to things to see the reality of it. Maybe I'm part of the problem and as such, blind to it.

In our (or my) defense I think the former group needs to understand a few things. Debate and disagreement aren't negative things. A flip reply could mean someone is just trying to be funny. A curt one might mean the person simply didn't have the time for a detailed answer and a "markwell" could be an honest attempt to provide information. Even if someone does mean to be rude, its possible they are just having a bad day. The key is not to take things personally.

Edited by briansnat
I think we're saying the same thing from different perspectives. If you have no other viewpoints to go by, and a person's perception of their situation is all they can go by... it makes it their reality. It doesn't matter if it's false or not.

Yes, it's probably a matter of semantics. But the reality was, "The Emporer had no clothes," regardless of his "personal reality." The Emporer had deluded himself. I believe the same is true for most of the people who feel "intimidated" by words they read on a computer screen. The "intimidation" exists only in the affected reader's imagination.

OK, this thread has done some good. It saved me from making a bad joke in response to a thread about curing wood. I was poised to key it in. Thought "how is thios going to sound to the guy asking the question" and stopped.

If this thread stops one bad Briansnat joke, then its a good thing!

Intimidated? No

Insulted ? Most definitely.

You are only kidding yourselves if you "regulars" think you foster a friendly environment here. I know more than a few cachers who share the same feeling.

And how do you respond to people who feel this way?

have found most of the topics/posts informative, usually polite and often funny. I haven't noticed a lot of flaming. (Maybe I'm looking in the wrong places!) I get the impression that it isn't tolerated and that's okay with me.

Or to this person?

I'm not saying you're wrong. I'm just trying to understand different perspectives.

OK call me Mopar, but I was curious and had a few minutes to page through your posts. I didn't see a single instance of anybody being rude or insulting to you and in fact I saw quite the opposite. Particularly in the GSAK thread where you had numerous questions and they were all answered in a respectful, helpful manner.

Even a somewhaty snide remark by you in a thread about Buxley's website was pretty much ignored from what I can tell, when a nasty response wouldn't have been totally out of line.

I think we're saying the same thing from different perspectives. If you have no other viewpoints to go by, and a person's perception of  their situation is all they can go by... it makes it their reality. It doesn't matter if it's false or not.

Yes, it's probably a matter of semantics. But the reality was, "The Emporer had no clothes," regardless of his "personal reality." The Emporer had deluded himself. I believe the same is true for most of the people who feel "intimidated" by words they read on a computer screen. The "intimidation" exists only in the affected reader's imagination.

I'll agree with that.

Maybe it's just a matter of timing and one person visited right after a controversal move by GC.COM (e.g. the tsunami issue, restriction of virtual caches, major website changes, the "Texas mutiny", etc...)

No, Ive seen most of the threads (or discussions about them) you mentioned as I poked around the forum. For the most part, I don't see these discussions as negative, but it does amaze me that some people refuse to take a step back and try to look at an issue from another perspective. IMHO these people have an agenda, and no amount of reasoning, compromise, or logic will sway them.

Even so, I still find these threads informative (and entertaining B) ). The issues are discussed by a lot of different people with varying perspectives. The discussions don't usually get too personal. Sometimes you can sense anger or frustration in someones post, but the name-calling is kept to a minimum.

Of course, I reserve the right to change my opinion about this topic when you disagree with ME! :smile:

I consider myself a newbie. I've been reading the posts for a while now. Most of the time I lurk, occasionally I respond.

Do I think some people are a little over the edge? Sure. Am I intimidated by them? No. For some reason, typed words viewed on a computer screen just doesn't send shivers up my spine. But bad breath in my face does.

Even when people are ranting and raving, they help me remember an important lesson in life. "Don't sweat the small stuff." And I'm glad I'm able to enjoy this sport without becoming so addicted that I lose sleep over some silly posts in a forum. I will only engage in this sport for relaxation, not as a way to add more stress to my life.

If I didn't find the forum useful, I wouldn't read it.

I think that the forums definitely have an "Old Boys (and Girls) Club" feel. I can see where many people would be intimidated by that. There is also the natural fear of embarassment that keeps people from posting sometimes. I know that I lurked for a very long time before I made my first post, and I still feel like I post infrequently. I usually only speak up if I really feel that something should be said. With that said, it is important to remember that these forums should not be equated with Geocaching as an activity.

I try to get around and talk to as many cachers as possible, in the real world, and I am constantly amazed at the number of them who are only marginally aware that these forums exist, or who have been here once or twice and got fed up and moved on. In my experience, the majority of active geocachers either have a negative view of these forums or no opinion on them. I see this as a problem. Mainly because a very vocal minority of geocachers provide the majority of the feedback that Jeremy and TPTB receive.

I know that I am guilty of participating and even starting unpleasantness in these forums, but we should all try to make them more welcoming.

Intimidated?  No

Insulted  ?  Most definitely.

You are only kidding yourselves  if you "regulars" think you foster a friendly environment here.    I know more than a few cachers who share the same feeling.

Agreed. I even saw a post in the parallel thread "do mods intimidate poster" stating something to the effect that those of us who "bruise" so easily should just lurk and not bother participating. I'm sorry, I just don't see that as a very welcoming attitude. I'm not advocating a group hug kind of mentality, but isn't there some middle ground?

Rochelle of Car54

In my experience, the majority of active geocachers either have a negative view of these forums or no opinion on them. I see this as a problem. Mainly because a very vocal minority of geocachers provide the majority of the feedback that Jeremy and TPTB receive.

I'm not sure this is a problem. It's true that a community of tens of thousands is represented by a few hundred (give or take) regulars, but that doesn't mean the regulars aren't a good cross-section of geocachers in general.

Even when people are ranting and raving, they help me remember an important lesson in life.  "Don't sweat the small stuff."  And I'm glad I'm able to enjoy this sport without becoming so addicted that I lose sleep over some silly posts in a forum.  I will only engage in this sport for relaxation, not as a way to add more stress to my life.

Just remember the rest of it - "It's all small stuff!"

Intimidated?  No

Insulted  ?  Most definitely.

You are only kidding yourselves  if you "regulars" think you foster a friendly environment here.    I know more than a few cachers who share the same feeling.

Agreed. I even saw a post in the parallel thread "do mods intimidate poster" stating something to the effect that those of us who "bruise" so easily should just lurk and not bother participating. I'm sorry, I just don't see that as a very welcoming attitude. I'm not advocating a group hug kind of mentality, but isn't there some middle ground?

Rochelle of Car54

By taking one phrase, by one person, out of context and implying that it is a commonly accepted ideal, you have done (IMO) the same thing that you are objecting to. I don't think that isn't what you meant, but it's what came across to me - "the forum's are unfriendly, see this proves it". If you have a problem with his view, why not address it in the forum it happened in? Yeah, that one's a spin off from here, and he's around here also, but that's the place to discuss it.

By taking one phrase, by one person, out of context and implying that it is a commonly accepted ideal, you have done (IMO) the same thing that you are objecting to. I don't think that isn't what you meant, but it's what came across to me - "the forum's are unfriendly, see this proves it". If you have a problem with his view, why not address it in the forum it happened in? Yeah, that one's a spin off from here, and he's around here also, but that's the place to discuss it.

You're right - I didn't mean to imply one post by one person summed up the whole of the Geocaching forum experience. I think perhaps I'd better stick to lurking. B)

Rochelle of Car54

By taking one phrase, by one person, out of context and implying that it is a commonly accepted ideal, you have done (IMO) the same thing that you are objecting to.  I don't think that isn't what you meant, but it's what came across to me - "the forum's are unfriendly, see this proves it".  If you have a problem with his view, why not address it in the forum it happened in?  Yeah, that one's a spin off from here, and he's around here also, but that's the place to discuss it.

You're right - I didn't mean to imply one post by one person summed up the whole of the Geocaching forum experience. I think perhaps I'd better stick to lurking. B)

Rochelle of Car54

Don't stop posting just because there was a different opinion... just proof read what you're about to post, or... do as you did here and agree to the correction.

I think that sort of example belongs in this thread. It is the point of these two threads for folks to let out their feelings, without feeling like outsiders who will be shot down if they don’t word things exactly right.

Briansnat, didn’t get it when someone posted that they felt insulted. My feelings aren’t based on the way I have been treated, but on the way others have been talked down to. I feel that is what others are responding to as well. If I see someone flamed I cringe and feel angst. B) I also see not as much discussion as people that are entrenched in their position and not willing to listen to another side. Debate is good, hitting someone over the head with your opinion is not good for anyone.

I will say that I have noticed a change in the forums since these threads have started. I see new people being welcomed and the tone is friendly. sept1c_tank I think ya did good!

2Tango

hmmm... where to begin....

I've been a member of GC.com for a couple years now, I've lurked in the forums for quite a while, and recently, I've started posting...

I see caching as a freetime activity, not the center of the universe, and as I'm still a HS student, I don't have a whole lot of free time, and I don't have a car. Therefore, I spend about 1/2 of my free time "commuting" to caches on my bike... I don't mind riding, it gives me good exercise, although I don't find as many caches as those who drive. Oh well, too bad.

That said, back on topic...

In most cases, I'll generally agree with the "regulars"... Even if I don't agree with someone, I can (usually) see where their opinion comes from. If someone were to say something that just plain ticks me off, then I'd do something like this... click the little X at the top left hand corner of the screen, open up notepad, formulate a response, save it, go find a couple caches, edit my reply, go do something else for a while, then delete my reply and start over, then get back online and see what direction the thread has gone in and then edit my reply again, and _then_ post it

well, that almost stayed on topic... no farther off-topic than the rest of this thread B)

Happy Caching

Jeff

You know what, I've deleted 3 responses to this thread. Any points I wanted to make were probably covered a few pages ago. I may not be a newbie but I will admit that I tend to delete more than 3/4 of my potential posts. Why? Because most of the time I don't want to have someone attack my posting in any way. It isn't worth the angst it would cause me to post something opinionated. It is far easier to just watch the "regulars" fight it out amongst themselves and not be anything but a bystander. Rarely is my opinion not covered by one of them or more anyway. And they have the time to bother with fighting it out while I usually don't.

Posts online are practically permanent and the more I post the more I feel that anything I ever post could be held against me later. So, I try not to post often.

Yes, I do feel intimidated sometimes by the "regulars", they can post faster and more informatively than I can. So when I see a recurring question come up, I usually ignore it for a little while. Then I go and see how many responses they have gotten. Usually within an hour the newbie question has either been answered by 5 or 6 folks, or been answered by a mod and closed or moved. If I have nothing new to bring to a thread, I don't bother posting. More folks should try it... :huh:

-J

Even though I'm an intelligent person with good reasoning abilities, the regulars at times tend to take opinions from people like me as carrying less weight than someone with a huge number.  Maybe the newer folks don't feel like 'putting in their time' to get the respect and would rather just cache?

CR . . . what are the"BENEFITS OF CACHING STATS" (your words, it is you cache finds & types, etc.

CR . . . what are the"BENEFITS OF CACHING STATS" (your words, it is you cache finds & types, etc.

The "benefit" (note, no "s") is there is more than a post count to help determine a person's experience. By taking a post count together with a joined date and find and hide count, you get a better feel of the person's experience than post count alone.

Yes, I can hear the retorts: "But what if this is my new sock puppet account? What if I don't log all of my find online? What if I just don't post much? What about the forum ho's that never cache?" :huh: Just re-read the first paragraph.

The "benefit" (note, no "s") is there is more than a post count to help determine a person's experience. By taking a post count together with a joined date and find and hide count, you get a better feel of the person's experience than post count alone.

Yes, I can hear the retorts: "But what if this is my new sock puppet account? What if I don't log all of my find online? What if I just don't post much? What about the forum ho's that never cache?" :huh: Just re-read the first paragraph.

Stop intimidating CR. :huh:

El Diablo

OK call me Mopar, but I was curious and  had a few minutes to page through your posts.  I didn't see a single instance of anybody being rude or insulting to you and in fact I saw quite the opposite. Particularly in the GSAK thread where you had numerous questions and they were all answered in a respectful, helpful manner.

Even a somewhaty snide remark by you in a thread about Buxley's website was pretty much ignored from what I can tell, when a nasty response wouldn't have been totally out of line.

You are right in your observation , that no one has been rude or insulting to me. But I have been pretty careful about where I post.

I should have worded my original post differently.

If I had said:

intimitating? no

Insulting? most definitely

Then my original post would have reflected how I feel about what I see going on in the forums.

This might interest you in how the forums are regarded by other cachers that I know:

a poll from UTAG

I rest my case

Then my original post would have reflected how I feel about what I see going on in the forums.

This might interest you in how the forums are regarded by other cachers that I know:

a poll from UTAG

I rest my case

Hmmm... Well kimbest did a good post in there explaining the actual reason behind the UTAG forum being perceived nicer than this one. If folks started writing responses with the expectation they would have to face the person at the next event, they'd probably be a bit nicer. Otherwise they might get punched in the face.

Not that the poll would be biased or anything :huh:

If folks started writing responses with the expectation they would have to face the person at the next event, they'd probably be a bit nicer. Otherwise they might get punched in the face.

That, in no way, would change any response I would make.

If anyone wants to punch me in the face they better bring a friend to carry them home.