Do The Regular Posters Intimidate?

El Diablo

Most of the bashing that comes from the regulars could be avoided if the newbie just read the FAQ or tried the search feature before posting.

Hi

Right so because someone didn't read the FAQ or whatever they should be "bashed?" Sorry, but I am going to respectively disagree. There is NO reason in my view to bash, period.

How hard is to point someone in the right direction NICELY?

Regards

Andrew

Most of the bashing that comes from the regulars could be avoided if the newbie just read the FAQ or tried the search feature before posting.

Hi

Right so because someone didn't read the FAQ or whatever they should be "bashed?" Sorry, but I am going to respectively disagree. There is NO reason in my view to bash, period.

How hard is to point someone in the right direction NICELY?

Regards

Andrew

Good point and it's been mentioned in this thread before. I know for one that this thread has given me a different perspective on how I reply to questions in the future.

Nobody wants to exclude anyone from these forums. We sometimes post without giving thought as to the impact of our replies.

El Diablo

My .02 cents  for what it is worth.  I haven’t figured out who is a moderator and who is a regular poster

2Tango

2Tango, If you go to the main forums page and look under any given forum you will see a "Forum Led by:" post, followed by some screen names. These usually are your Mods for that particular forum. I'm sure Jeremy and Hydee have full range all over the sight thou. FYI :D

I'm just curious how many other people feel intimidated by the forums regular posters?

I was told that this paticular person wouldn't post because they were afraid of being ridiculed by regular posters such as my self.

Not intimidated but annoyed to the point of avoiding the forums, especially the general discussions. There are too many off-topic, ranting and self-indulgent postings. Forums lose much of their attraction when regulars start treating them like chat rooms. Granted, the tone is not as hostile as some enthusiasts' forums but it's bad enough to repel many potential contributors. Some restraint by the regulars wouldn't hurt.

I'm always glad to see new avitars and posts in here, but I'm not going to bow out just to hope someone lurking chooses that exact moment to step in and fill the void. The forums are what they are, and what they are will not line up perfectly what any one of us wishes they would be.

2Tango

2Tango, If you go to the main forums page and look under any given forum you will see a "Forum Led by:" post, followed by some screen names. These usually are your Mods for that particular forum. I'm sure Jeremy and Hydee have full range all over the sight thou. FYI :D

I might be wrong, but I think all mods can moderate in any forum. if conditions warrant.

The ones listed for the various forum subareas are the ones that receive a response when the "report" button is hit.

OT. I can't really say intimidated is the most accurate for me, but generally I don't post as fast as I might want because I know one of the regulars will normally come in and make an appropiate comment. As it was when I first started, I'm still learning or at least getting a feel for being a better member of the community just by lurking. I understood a long time ago that I can gain knowledge or form a better opinion of something by observing, rather than spouting off and only concetrating on my next reply.

Dang I type waaaay to slow.

I also try to refrain from posting the ever helpful emoticons just because I can.

Let me add also that this is the first board that I even had the inkling to read, let alone participate in. Even if it is in a very limited capacity. People I cache with don't even relalize this world exists but appreciate the tidbits I can pass on from seeing various topics here.

To reiretate, I don't always agree with the "regulars", and sometimes they won't agree with each other, but generally I can garner at least a little food for thought.

I'm only intimated by flask. :D So I invite her comments here by uttering the forbidden phrase *muggle*. B)

Drat. Now I have to buy another car so I can get a few more caches. My post count has surpassed the important count.

Edited by wvcoalcat
If I may interject, perhaps some parts of the discussion could best be handled via Private Messages or emails.

I had a Noob e-mail me once because he was having trouble finding a Micro of mine, I had went him an e-mail to let him know it was camouflaged, then He sends me and e-mail and he is all bent out of shape saying camouflage is not allowed.

I might be wrong, but I think all mods can moderate in any forum. if conditions warrant.

The ones listed for the various forum subareas are the ones that receive a response when the "report" button is hit.

No, we can only perform moderation duties in the forum sections where our names are listed. The exception to that are the site-wide moderators. They do not have to be listed on a forum topic heading to moderate that forum. You are correct that if they are listed then they will get a copy of the reported posts emails.

I just don't see this constant newbie bashing that people keep referring to. I spend a lot of time in the getting started forum and the vast majority of the posts there are helpful and polite, even for questions that are being asked for the 1,00th time. I don't consider "markwelling" to be newbie bashing nor is mentioning the fact that there is a site search feature. Sure something like "Hey bozo, if you used the search button you would have found your answer here " would be inappropriate, but the instances of that happening are incredibly rare.

The only time I do see it is when someone joins the site, has 2 finds and tells us all we've been playing the game wrong, or that we are destroying the environment, etc... The example Mopar used of someone telling the CEO how the run the company his first day on the job is a good one. You really can't blame forum regulars for taking exception to people like this and you can't say the person doesn't deserve what he gets.

Personally I had a rough road when I started posting here, precisely because I came with strong opinions about a sport that in retrospect, I knew nothing about. I was deservedly put in my place. I recall some other forum regulars having similar starts here.

And as far as these forums being "unpleasant", "intolerant", "hazardous", "intimidating" and "nasty", the people who are saying this obviously haven't been on many other message boards. This is generally one of the tamest, most respectful forums I've ever visited. Sure there are some exceptions, particularly when a controversial topic gets going and the discussion gets heated, but generally people here are very nice. The truly nasty people tend to get theirselves banned and go off to play in that litterbox up north.

And as far as these forums being "unpleasant", "intolerant", "hazardous", "intimidating" and "nasty", the people who are saying this obviously haven't been on many other message boards.

Hi Briansnat

With due respect, I am, as I have already stated in general terms ealier and in other threads, in two particular discussion boards (Yahoo! groups) with over 2,000 members each. As well I am in a number of other fora including newsgroups, boards such as this and Yahoo! groups. In fact probably close to 50! I know I should get out more ;) I would go further to suggest that your statement, "oviously haven't been on many other message boards" may not be such a valid observation, at least in my case.

Therefore I think I am in a position to comment on how I see things here and I have seen in my short time here some pretty unpleasant things. I have as I stated previously found this forum at times to be like school ground with numerous bullies. I have not experienced such behaviour in all the other forums other than the newsgroup, rec.backcountry which is unmoderated and has a particulary problem revolving around off-topic posts (thankfully very effective kill filters apply there so the actual messages of interest can be displayed.)

I would thus, suggest I am qualified to speak on the basis of MY experiences. . :ph34r:

Regards

Andrew

I'm just curious how many other people feel intimidated by the forums regular posters?

I don't know if 'intimidated' is the right word, but I will say that having spent a fair amount of time lurking in the forums, I've come to the conclusion that if any individual is going to take a strong or potentially controversial stance on any issue here, they should be prepared to present and defend their position, or else suffer the consequences of the potential ensuing high spirited discussion ;) .

By this I mean that I feel that many of the people who regularly post here are highly competent debaters who know their stuff, are capable of thinking critically and logically, and are quite good at presenting and defending their own positions with passion. I am continuously surprised by how often theses spirited debates can help me change, rethink, or clarify my own views on many of these issues (this is, in fact, one of the reasons why I enjoy the forums so much). I'm happy to be able to stand on the sidelines while I watch and learn, but not being particularly aggressive in nature myself, I'm often glad I'm not participating directly in the heat of the battle. :ph34r:

edit: fixed some spelling. So sue me.

Edited by cache_test_dummies
And as far as these forums being "unpleasant", "intolerant", "hazardous", "intimidating" and "nasty",  the people who are saying this obviously haven't been on many other message boards.

Hi Briansnat

With due respect, I am, as I have already stated in general terms ealier and in other threads, in two particular discussion boards (Yahoo! groups) with over 2,000 members each. As well I am in a number of other fora including newsgroups, boards such as this and Yahoo! groups. In fact probably close to 50! I know I should get out more :ph34r: I would go further to suggest that your statement, "oviously haven't been on many other message boards" may not be such a valid observation, at least in my case.

Therefore I think I am in a position to comment on how I see things here and I have seen in my short time here some pretty unpleasant things. I have as I stated previously found this forum at times to be like school ground with numerous bullies. I have not experienced such behaviour in all the other forums other than the newsgroup, rec.backcountry which is unmoderated and has a particulary problem revolving around off-topic posts (thankfully very effective kill filters apply there so the actual messages of interest can be displayed.)

I would thus, suggest I am qualified to speak on the basis of MY experiences. . ;)

Regards

Andrew

My bad... I edited to correct an incorrect statement. It wasn't you... it was somebody else. -TL

You'll have to admit the way a particular person started off one thread was not conducive to gaining a pleasant reception to a difference of opinion.

It all comes down to how you present yourself if you expect to receive some sort of respect in these forums. If you start off with a caustic tone, you can bet even money you're going to receive a caustic response in return. Starting off caustic and expecting respect is too high an expectation for any forum... and that's based on 17 years of forum experience.

Bottom line, if you can't stand the heat... don't turn it up on your end and start off with an inappropriate tone that can only lead to a defensive posture.

Edited by TotemLake
And as far as these forums being "unpleasant", "intolerant", "hazardous", "intimidating" and "nasty",  the people who are saying this obviously haven't been on many other message boards.

Hi Briansnat

With due respect, I am, as I have already stated in general terms ealier and in other threads, in two particular discussion boards (Yahoo! groups) with over 2,000 members each. As well I am in a number of other fora including newsgroups, boards such as this and Yahoo! groups. In fact probably close to 50! I know I should get out more :ph34r: I would go further to suggest that your statement, "oviously haven't been on many other message boards" may not be such a valid observation, at least in my case.

I would thus, suggest I am qualified to speak on the basis of MY experiences. . ;)

Regards

Andrew

rec.backcountry is a good example. And also consider rec.alpine.skiing where participants have received death threats, lost jobs, been taken to court (and banned from posting by judical order) and nearly every thread is soon hijacked and turned into the most vile flame war you could possibly imagine. And those ain't the only ones.

What difference does it make how 'other' discussion forums act/react. I would think most of 'us newbies' ask most of our questions in the 'Getting Started' forum (which I suppose is what it's for). A majority of the people who respond give good,friendly,informative replies....

If some of the 'dumb questions' that we ask, irritate some of the old timers, why do they go to the Getting Started forum? I would love to see what questions some of the old timers asked when they were newbies..

ok...I have on my flak jacket...bash away!!!! ;)

That's a very good point regarding the old timers being newbies and asking the same DA questions back then. I find when I can't stand answering the same questions over and over again, I will stay away and enjoy a bit of me time. My hat's off to those that stick it out time and time again for welcoming the newbies into this great sport!

What difference does it make how 'other' discussion forums act/react.

Because some people are painting this as a particularly hostile place, which it really isn't, so other sites are being used for comparison.

Brian, I agree we you. I also know that perception is reality. Not everyone has been on another board, myself included. This is the first site I ever posted on.

Looking at some of the replies has made me more aware of how things are perceived.

El Diablo

What difference does it make how 'other' discussion forums act/react. I would think most of 'us newbies' ask most of our questions in the 'Getting Started' forum (which I suppose is what it's for). A majority of the people who respond give good,friendly,informative replies....

It doesn't really matter what other forums or mail lists do except as good and bad examples of which there are many. It's nice that Getting Started is civil and on-topic. The problems are more evident in the other topic areas where threads are hijacked by "professional posters" or by those with an axe to grind. This makes it harder for all of us--from experienced to inexperienced geocachers, from frequent to occasional posters--to enjoy the discussions. While some people enjoy the random give-and-take, I know several "old timers" who don't bother with the forums because there is too much noise and poor manners.

I have not posted much in any of the forms here, not because I feel Intimidated.

It is more that I really only post, when I have something to add to the conversation, or a question to ask.

I did post a question back in November asking about who the approvers were, as I was trying to adopt a cache near me. I was given the information that I needed and I am grateful for it. And was able to adopt the cache in question.

I do read the forms almost daily, and learn something new every time I do.

There are great people here, who are willing to help, and I appreciate their willingness.

Jim

As far as belittliting someome for the number of caches found or number of posts - that's just plain silly. The few times I have seen it happen there have been forum regulars and/or moderators spanking the offending individual.

As far as number of finds/stats things like that. One poster who was a noob did get flamed pretty hard here a while back and IMHO I think he deserved it. Complainig about the wuality of your cache finds when you haven't even given it a chance is pretty sorry to me. But there are people who come in here just to start forum wars and it could have been a sock puppet so who knows. Just my .02 worth.

X :blink:

I'm not intimidated by regular posters, but then, I almost never post (hence, tadpole). I do think that in general these things have a certain heirarchy based on how long you've been with them, how many posts, how vocal, how "famous" so to speak, one is. Same goes for geocaching in general in my mind-- although I know it shouldn't, and have since been proved wrong. When I went to my first event this summer, for example, I was worried that I wouldn't fit in, that everyone would know eachother, that it would be cliquey or I wouldn't fit into the age range and therefore not fit in at all, or whatever. For the most part, this was entirely not the case, although sometimes I do worry about being labeled "newbie" at only 18 finds and I don't know how many posts (barely half a dozen?). So, I lurk, and I shouldn't care, anyway. Cachers are fun, nice, unintimidating people :o At least, in my experience so far.

Personally, I am new to geocaching. Never felt intimidated at all by any posters. Sure we have people who think they are above everyone else but guess what, we are all here to do one thing and that is geocaching. Just like the course of human nature, no one is better then anyone else. We are all created equal. I mean come on folks, just enjoy the hobby and have fun. It's not like we can come across our screens and slap each others faces. Everyone can always learn something new. Changes are a part of life. Take them or leave them, we are still here to geocache. But honestly, everyone here has been very helpful to me. If they haven't then I don't let them feed off that. I won't waist hurting my fingers in a typing format. I am a one to one person, lets deal with the situation one on one and not the forums. You will be surprised how people rect differently eye to eye instead of a forum. Just my 2 cents.

I think that in general, there is very little noob flaming here. It used to be pretty bad, in my opinion, but changes have been made.

Certainly, the norm is that noobs receive help when they ask for it and well thought out comments are respected by all. That being said, some comments will draw out the bunsen burners...

My first real experience with the forums was when I was emailed by a forum reader/participant who told me I was being burned-at-the-stake in the forums - I became a reader, since then. It flamed out, as it always does.

I noticed, after study of the forums, that some of the few flamers who commented WERE those same who submit contrary text most often to the forum. It made me feel okay as I was able to read the people, rather than the comments.

Everyone has an opinions, egos, and the potential to be wrong. They can/will be judged on what they do in the game or write in the forums.

One must be careful -your personality, character and intellect become bared in these pages, as well as your motives. The image you place in space is YOUR face. Just be careful what you put out there.

Be kind to the game, to the players and those who read in silence . . . if it makes it all better, fine - otherwise, hold it in.

Edited by GRANPA ALEX
(El Diablo @ Jan 13 2005, 07:37 PM)

I was told that this paticular person wouldn't post because they were afraid of being ridiculed by regular posters such as my self.

Not intimidated but annoyed to the point of avoiding the forums, especially the general discussions. There are too many off-topic, ranting and self-indulgent postings. Forums lose much of their attraction when regulars start treating them like chat rooms. Granted, the tone is not as hostile as some enthusiasts' forums but it's bad enough to repel many potential contributors. Some restraint by the regulars wouldn't hurt.

Good point! It's the same affect at McDonald's front counter when you're waiting that extra 3 minutes for the hot fries, and three employees act like you don't exist while they discuss some other issue. Common problem with which managers need to constantly deal. Old friends just aren't always thinking.

edit: on the other hand, in this case, everyone's a customer. The management will never do that to you, just other customers...and it's hard to force one set of customers to into the right line of behavior without unwarranted policing.

Edited by Robespierre

I am going to admit right off that I haven't read this whole topic. I skimmed it, but did not "read" it all. Based on that, and the original post, I want to say this:

(1) I hope people will aim to be helpful to people new to the game. Even when it is a "tired" question for those who regularly read the forums, it is new to the person posting and they might not think to search or know that is available, or the search might not pull up the answer. Why be mean? That is silly! B) I remember an early post of mine where I suggested something silly and everyone disagreed. They were right! Some were pretty cutting, but in a joking/fun sort of way. I was relaxed and saw that they were OK people and were right! But if I was sensetive or read it wrong at all, I might have been put off. So for old-timers, aim to be nice, because some might not see the "joke" as easily. Words on the internet don't always carry that laugh or obvious sarcasim the way you think it does. Even when you use a smilie. For new people, listen but take the jokes or odd posts with a grain of salt. If it seems mean it really might not be. If it really is mean, then brush it off because others are not mean. But ask yourself first whether they might be joking with you. Also try the search function and if you tried and found nothing, mention that when you post to stave off sarcasm.

(2) Links to previous threads (Markwells) are not bad in my mind as long as not posted with a mean tone. I think those can be very helpful and actually take some work from the person who bothers to go find the link and post it. I tend to use them when I know that the thread(s) linked to have much more info than I or others could have time or willingness to type (or re-type). I never mean disrespect there. I just figure I am providing the info asked for in an efficient manner. For new people, don't take those as an insult. It really takes time for the person posting to find it. I don't think most do that with the intention to belittle. I think they intend to be helpful.

(3) New person or not, if a person jumps into a heated debate, they should expect some argument. Heated debate comes from disagreement. That isn't bad. Just aim to post respectfully in the disagreement. Brush off those who don't. But if you jump in there, don't expect agreement. In a hot topic, that isn't likely to happen. Realistic expectations are good! I saw a concern or two here that seemed to be about specific disagreements on various topics. Agreement there is not going to happen. It shouldn't intimidate. You can't expect all to agree. If you do, then you are setting yourself up to be disappointed. It is OK to expect decent behavior, but not agreement, and don't mistake disagreement, or even heated disagreement outside of hatred/meaness, for disrespect or improper behavior. Ignore or brush off "true meaness." It isn't worth the angst! ;)

(4) If I ever intimidate someone here I hope they will privately let me know. I post quite a bit, and would hate to intimidate. If so, I would want to know about it in order to think about it and try to correct it if I had behaved wrongly. ACK! I hope I have been generally nice!!!!! :P

eye likes fly46!  ewe have good common cents!! ;)

Fly46 was in the recieving end of a lot of forum abuse not all that long ago but stuck it out and I'm glad.

:P Aww... They like me, they really like me!

Seriously, sometimes you have to take the crap. Overlook some things, get over it, etc. Remember that all flames eventually die out. Especially the ones in here. If it ever gets too much for ya, go find half a dozen or hide one or two. You'll get over it.

I also know that perception is reality.
Perception is not reality. Nonsense. That perception is not necessarily reality was the entire point of the "Chicken Little" story you were probably taught as a young child.

Perception can be reality, perception may be reality, but it is not a "given" that perception is (was, shall be) reality.

If someone thinks that they will get a fistful of abuse, flames, or screaming posts for posting a topic, that perception will make them less likely to do so, even if their post is a good one.

That is the problem we are dealing with and in this case the perception of the risk of being abused becomes the reality of people not posting here. :rolleyes:

This forum is just like the real world and opinions are abundant. It would be nice if you could walk into a room and expect everyone to play nice but it's not going to happen. It's the "Law of the Play Ground" If you have an opinion or question let it fly, but don't expect it to go unchallenged by those who don't know how to play nice. If you read through all of the post (BS) you will get your answer because there are some (most) that want to help.

If someone thinks that they will get a fistful of abuse, flames, or screaming posts for posting a topic, that perception will make them less likely to do so, even if their post is a good one.

No doubt that may occur, but on the other hand, the perception that the types of responses you listed will surely occur seems to be the primary motivation for, and/or the driving force behind, many of the threads (and posts) in these forums.

That is the problem we are dealing with and in this case the perception of the risk of being abused becomes the reality of people not posting here.

Cute. What was it that FDR said about "fear" immediately after the bombing of Pearl Harbor?

Edited by Bassoon Pilot

I'm intimidated by those, "Hang in There" or "Study Hard" posters...

But seriously folks, I think that there can be a tendancy to jump on new forum users for not know how to use the forum search function, and this is an understandable yet regrettable feature of forums in general.

We should try to show some more patience or just not post in those instances when the blood boils. It takes just a long to post a helpful response as a nasty one...whihc one would you rather receive?

nfa-jamie

Edited by NFA

It could be some astute lurkers don't post because they see posts taken out of context, posters latch onto a tangential point, argue something which wasn't presented, and general derailing of the argument.

A good example was my recent thread about lame micros. I outlined my position very clearly in my OP yet folks seemed to want to rail on something about which I didn't say.

For instance, what if I said "that lame cache was a lamppost micro?" Folks will start ranting about lamppost micros aren't lame! Right? Now, tell me where I said lamppost micros are lame. Show me.

See what I mean? It's as if some people just refuse engage brain before running mouth, or fingers. It could be a form passive-aggressive. It could be they don't have a coherent argument for the issue at hand and feel a need to argue about something. I'm sure some folks just don't want the hassles.

It takes just as long to post a helpful response as a nasty one...which one would you rather receive?

The one that ultimately provided me with (or pointed me towards) more complete, accurate information.

Could you provide a useful answer without being nasty? If so, then why be nasty in your response...somewhat rhetorical question, but...

nfa-jamie

I am going to admit right off that I haven't read this whole topic. I skimmed it, but did not "read" it all. Based on that, and the original post, I want to say this:

<long angst free post deleted>

i am shocked. carleen typed that entire post without using the word angst once. :rolleyes::o

Read it again. Section 3, last word.