Hydration Systems

this_is_nascar

No matter how much water you try to carry, you will always find yourself running a bit short for one reason or another.

Starting off with a decent enough supply and being able to replenish that supply during the hike are key to your hydration success.

Because I generally hiked with my dog, I started off with 164 oz of water. I also carry a First Need Purifier and use it sometime mid-hike to replenish my supply. On the way in, I keep an eye out for potential water sources for on the way out just in case my mid-hike replenishment doesn't happen for any reason. If the local resource turn out to be short on replenishment capabilities, I ration what I need and will provide the majority of it to my dog. (It isn't his fault if I fail to plan better in those situations.) If the local resources are reported to be short on replenishment capabilities, my dog stays home so I can use the extra water for myself. In these situations, I'll borrow my daughter's Camelbak water pouch and add it to my backpack.

Now what I use, is a 100oz. Camelbak Unbottle. The tube is adapted with a quick disconnect to remove the bite valve and snap on the exit tube of the purifier so I can pump straight into the unbottle without taking off the backpack. The additional 64 oz. of water are contained in two 32 oz. nalgene bottles and carried in the backpack for when I drop the pack to rest.

Edited by TotemLake

When I buy my packs I make sure they are "hydration compatible" and I insert a water bladder and drinking hose. In the past I've used Platypus bladders because they didn't impart the plastic taste that I've noticed with Camelbaks. I have several sizes and I choose the appropriate size for my trip.

Recently I purchased an 3 liter Camelbak Unbottle to stick in my pack. It has some advantages, as you can move it from pack to pack even if they don't have a hydration sleeve (which is often necessary for a Platypus), but it still has that stinking plastic taste. Not as bad as the old Camelbaks, but its still there.

I'd say get yourself a two to three liter Platypus Hoser and a drinking tube, or if you don't mind the nasty taste, a Camelbak Unbottle and stick it in the pack of your choice.

Edited by briansnat
When I buy my packs I make sure they are "hydration compatible".  That way I can choose the size of the hydration bladder I bring along. In the past I've used Platypus bladders because they didn't impart the plastic taste that I've noticed with Camelbaks.

Recently I purchased an 3 liter Camelbak Unbottle to stick in my pack. It has some advantages, as you can move it from pack to pack, even if they don't have a hydration sleeve (which is often necessary for a Platypus), but it still has that stinking plastic taste. Not as bad as the old Camelbaks, but its still there.

I'd say get yourself a  two to  to three liter Platypus Hoser and a drinking tube, or  if you don't mind the nasty taste, a Camelbak Unbottle and  stick it in the pack of your choice.

briansnat's ears were burning while I was posting :huh::huh:

I have a 3 liter camel-bak. It does kinda taste funny, but compared to my tap water, it's delicious. I buy bottled water for use in the camel-bak. I only use that if I know I am going an a hike of more than 2 miles one way or one with a lot of elevation changes. Otherwise I just bring a bottle or two of water and stuff it in my pack. So far so good.

It depends. If I'm not going far from the car I know I'l l'll be passing a quickie mart soon enough so I only carry about a liter.

If I'm hiking I've taken a 3L Hydration pack, and 2L extra and come back dry. That was a hike.

When it comes to a pack I can't see getting one smaller than the 3L versions. You can always add less water, but if you need more that's another problem.

I use a Camelbak MULE, the military style, as it's quite rugged, the hose is insulated, and there is lots of room in the two zippered compartments. It holds all the geostuff except on the longest of hikes, or when I carry raingear or other special equipment. Then, I add a fisherman's vest to hold the tiny stuff.

Using this setup I have run out of water a grand total of once. That was on a hike up a desert canyon to visit the site of a downed aircraft. The photo below shows my Camelbak well, and you can see an engine cowling. That hike involved a 1,250 elevation gain over 2.5 miles of pure bushwacking to reach the cache coordinates I ran out of water about halfway back down. Fortunately I had brought along a 5 gallon jug in the car as a reserve.

4ce9fa60-c4e6-4148-a66d-690a2eb6fbd1.jpg

I use a hydration pack made by Outdoor Products. It was cheap (on sale for $25), has alot of storage pockets, and has a 2 liter water bladder/hose. I used it in September on a 12 mile hike, from 8000ft elevation up to 12,000ft, and then down to 6000ft. I carried a couple of extra water bottles as well, but ended up not needing them (weather was mild). My 11 year old son also made the trek, and he carried a smaller pack that also had a 2 liter bladder. For the long hikes in warm weather, we usually fill them 1/2 way and freeze them. Before setting off, we top them off the rest of the way. This gives us cold drinking water, and the melt rate works out just about perfect.

I've never noticed a "plastic" taste with the Outdoor Products water bladders.

BTW, having some water back at the car is always a good idea. I remember the first time we "froze" our water bladders. I had filled them at least 3/4 before freezing. Unfortunately, that was too much, and while we technically "had" water with us, it was frozen and so not drinkable! It was a hot day and a tough hike, so the water jug waiting at the van was most welcome! So if you freeze a water bladder, always err on the side of caution. I'd rather have it end up melting too soon and have warm water on a hot day, rather than not soon enough and have ice that I can't get to!

Edited by 4x4van

I too use a hydration pack from outdoor products. As previously stated, it had a 2-liter bladder, lots of pockets, and no plastic taste. I got mine from Target for less than $40, and I love it.

Previously, I used a backpack with a holder for a water bottle, but it (personally) just got to be a pain having to pull off the pack to get to the water bottle.

I use a camel pack for my main source but in the summer a take a couple water bottle and freeze them. They melt on the way and I have cold water to help cool me down. I always carry a water filter pump with me but you obviously need a source. If I know I am not going to be need a source I hump extra water in with me.

Camelbak™ has been the best for me by far. I've only been geocaching for a few months, but I've been hiking for years. I've found a 2 ltr to be quite sufficient for me. If there is a trip that requires more water than that, then a Sweetwater™ portable filter is much lighter than extra water (as long as there is water available). I use a camelbak pack that holds a days worth of snacks, smalll first aid kit, small jacket, flashlight, geocaching tools, don't forget TP! :o

This is the system that works best for me! As you go, you'll figure out what works best for you. :P Good luck!

I held off on buying one of these for far too long. Im not a water drinker, I rarely ever drink water. Coffee on the other hand, is always plentiful in my house. Every time I looked into one of these packs I just couldn't see spending the money for a plastic bag that held water...

Everytime I go hiking I would always be extremely tired (more so in hot weather) by the time I would get back to my car. This is due to the fact that I would be dehydrated, a potentially dangerous situation to boot.

The first one I bought was a cheapy $20 model, it was small and very uncomfortable to wear and the hose kept dripping and dripping. Then I picked up the Camelbak Hawg w/ 100oz bladder. What a difference! This was quite comfortable to wear and it kept my water ice cold. Before each hike I fill it with ice and top off with water. Only once did I run out of water, it was a hot day and I had already hiked around 9 or 10 miles over very hilly terrain. Aside from that one day, I have never run out of water again and I feel a LOT better after a rigorous hike. Plus, I have room to store my gear and snacks!

As for the funny taste, I haven't noticed anything yet, but I do empty it as soon as I get home and wash it well. I use paper towel to dry it out as best as I can and hang it up for a good 24-48 hours before putting it back inside the pack.

Shown here is the Camelbak Hawg:

pm_60203.jpg

I used CamelBack when they first came out, then I bought the CamelBack Mule. I found I needed more storage and something which was bike-oriented, and I found that Platypus makes one with a built-in light bar (the Kilowatt, 1.7L). Plus my bike has a Blackburn Bomber water cage to hold 1.5L bottles.

My CamelBack bags are of the early design, so they aren't as easy to clean. I found that if I left water in them for too long, then they would pick up taste from the bag's plastic. The Platypus bags don't affect the water's taste, even if the water is in them for a week. The water still picks up taste from the hose's plastic during that time, but I just flush it out.

A tip to get rid of the plastic taste in any water container (camelbaks, canteens, other bladders and such).

Fill halfway with warm to hot water, then add in a bunch of baking soda, about a tablespoon for every half-liter. Shake it up and let it sit for about an hour, rinse it out and then repeat the process.

Make sure you rinse it out good as the baking soda will make your stomach upset if you ingest it.

Also remember to try and get as much of the air out of the bladder/canteen as possible, this helps keep bacterias from forming in the air pockets and reduces the annoying sloshing noise.

I just bought a nalgene Sahara hydration pack. I was looking for a simple pack with storage for a very small amount of gear. I wanted it mainly for a one day adventure hike. The only gear I will need is water (and plenty of it), power food, cell phone, first aid, and maybe a outer shell (strapped on the outside). I like to travel light, and this should do it.

Hopefully it will be here in a few days, i'll let you know how it is, but I have been very impressed with nalgene in the past.

Joe Smith

oh, it was only $30 on ebay after shipping

I switched to a CamelBak Peak Bagger to make it a little easier to hydrate and carry enough gear, but quickly realized that I sometimes ended up carrying excess extra water for my four legged cache partner and myself. I still use the CamelBak pack on many occasions, but carry Gatorade (which seems to hydrate me better) and water in Nalgene bottles that we can both use. Untill I can teach the pup to drink from a CamelBak mouthpiece, I think it will stay this way.

Edited by Quoddy

Try periodic cleaning with Efferdent denture cleaning tablets. Drop in a couple and let it work and rinse good. Mountain bikers tip, lots cheaper than the cleaning kits and tablets from Camelback. Also, store unit in refrigerator with some water in it help keep bad taste/smell from developing, store mine in xtra fridge in garage, with beer and other necessary items.

I use a camelbak pack that holds a days worth of snacks, smalll first aid kit, small jacket, flashlight, geocaching tools, don't forget TP!  :D

This is the system that works best for me! As you go, you'll figure out what works best for you.  :D  Good luck!

Absolutely; we take day hikes with this sort of setup and it always works out you think of two or three more items to add to it each trip, unfortunately out of necessity. A couple of items I noticed not on your list but we feel are essential: extra socks, and either the 'shower-in-a-towel' or maybe the small bottles of no-rinse hand cleaner for cleaning up. A Leatherman or similar tool is always a good idea (try to keep things light, of course!). :D

Camelbak's web page http://www.camelbak.com/ has great articles on hydration. Some tables may be familiar to ex-GI's. Some have temp and fluid ratio type info. Two good rules of thumb- If you are thirsty, you are behind the hydratiion power curve, and if you pee and it isn't clear, drink more. Also if you have a headache while searching for that hard to find cache, you might need more water. This time of year it's important to drink fluids. As you exhale you are losing fluids, most folks don't put dehdration and cold together. Wasn't it Frank Zappa that mentioned dehydration?

Watch out where the Huskies go..." :P