Cityselect 6 On The Hard Drive

satxbiker

I have been trying unsuccessfully to get cityselect 6 to run from my hard drive. I copied all of the files from the two cds on to a new directory under my c:\garmin. I run setup from this new directory and after updating the usb drivers it asks me to insert cityselect disk1. I click ok and it just keeps popping up asking for the disk. It does not give me an option to specify where to look. I would assume that it would look in the same directory it is running from but it does not.

Has anyone done this successfully? I already have version 5 installed and this is the upgrade. Thanks

Look for an option when running the setup to install the database to the local drive. When I installed my v6 last month, it gave me the option of installing all the files so I didn't need the disk. The Topo product doesn't give you this option.

Yep, I installed CitySelect 6 to my HD simply by running the install program from the CDROM, too. I didn't try copying the setup files to the HD first.

As for Topo, I installed it, and then went into the registry to edit the Garmin settings so that the Topo maps pointed to directories on the HD, and then manually copied the .img files into those directories.

I believe there is an application called Daemon Tools which allows you to create Virtual CD/DVD Drives and mount disk image files and hence run programs without the physical disk.

More here www.daemon-tools.com

You'd need to create a disk image .iso or .bin .cue type file first by copying your original disk(s) and then mount them on your PC.

Regards

CM

PS Link isnt working at the mo, I hope theyre still running, its a good bit of software.

Well that is what I get for assuming. Since I had to do the registry edit thing for version 5 I assumed I had to do the same thing or copy the files over to the hd first for version 6. As stated in an earlier post all I had to do was run the install from the cd and it put it on my hard drive automatically. Very cool - Thank you for all the help.