Saxman's Great Plains Tour

Team GPSaxophone

Carleen, a couple questions ...

1. Can you make your bookmark list available in the GPX format as well as the LOC format?

2. Have you designated a meeting place for the 22nd yet?

At this point it looks like I should be able to make it.

I don't think GPX is a feature with the bookmark lists? I couldn't find any setting for that anyway. If you run a PQ centered on one of the Wildwood lake caches that would work though.

I think we will be meeting at my Mother's house since Saxman is staying there. I will get details tonight and let you know the time and location etc.

Carleen, a couple questions ...

1. Can you make your bookmark list available in the GPX format as well as the LOC format?

2. Have you designated a meeting place for the 22nd yet? 

At this point it looks like I should be able to make it.

I don't think GPX is a feature with the bookmark lists? I couldn't find any setting for that anyway. If you run a PQ centered on one of the Wildwood lake caches that would work though.

I think we will be meeting at my Mother's house since Saxman is staying there. I will get details tonight and let you know the time and location etc.

She has room for this, right? :ninja:

IMAG0003a.jpg

It's about time I checked in here.

The dog is no problem as long as he is not afraid of cats. :lol:

We would have a hard time finding a level place for the camper because ours is occupying the level place. :D

But I was told you-all would be willing to sleep on my floor so I assume you are not really bringing the trailer. :D

Fortunately, Carleen's dad will be off at an entomology meeting so I have been inspired to do my spring housecleaning for 1992 :D and I will have two bedrooms and the living room couch available. I'll sleep downstairs in the family room with the cats who will be hiding down there anyway.

Pizza and party at my house on the 21st. Breakfast for all cacher's on the 22nd followed by a great day of caching. I haven't found most the caches on that list! :D

NevaP A.K.A. Carleen's mom

The dog is no problem as long as he is not afraid of cats. :lol:

We would have a hard time finding a level place for the camper because ours is occupying the level place. :D

But I was told you-all would be willing to sleep on my floor so I assume you are not really bringing the trailer. :D

Fortunately, Carleen's dad will be off at an entomology meeting so I have been inspired to do my spring housecleaning for 1992 :D and I will have two bedrooms and the living room couch available. I'll sleep downstairs in the family room with the cats who will be hiding down there anyway.

Pizza and party at my house on the 21st. Breakfast for all cacher's on the 22nd followed by a great day of caching. I haven't found most the caches on that list! :D

We are bringing the trailer, but we'll sleep in your house when we get there. Thanks again for offering it to us.

The trailer is mainly for supplies, and sleeping where we don't have other accommodations.

Geody's not afraid of cats, but she doesn't really bother them either. She'll probably be a bit curious at first though.

The dog is no problem as long as he is not afraid of cats. :P

We would have a hard time finding a level place for the camper because ours is occupying the level place. :huh:

But I was told you-all would be willing to sleep on my floor so I assume you are not really bringing the trailer. :blink:

Fortunately, Carleen's dad will be off at an entomology meeting so I have been inspired to do my spring housecleaning for 1992  :( and I will have two bedrooms and the living room couch available. I'll sleep downstairs in the family room with the cats who will be hiding down there anyway.

Pizza and party at my house on the 21st.  Breakfast for all cacher's on the 22nd followed by a great day of caching. I haven't found most the caches on that list! :P

We are bringing the trailer, but we'll sleep in your house when we get there. Thanks again for offering it to us.

The trailer is mainly for supplies, and sleeping where we don't have other accommodations.

Geody's not afraid of cats, but she doesn't really bother them either. She'll probably be a bit curious at first though.

Can the trailer park on the street? If not you may have to drop it off at my house, which would be no big deal.

I will send out coordinates and directions to Mom's house later today. I know that Mudinyeri and Ceili Girls are planning to come (I will transport the Leprechauns). If anyone else is planning on it, please email me.

We will meet around 8-8:30 am or so on the 22nd for breakfast (I'll get donuts and bagels etc) and can pick up pizza or all eat out somewhere after caching. :rolleyes:

Not sure what's on your list of Iowa caches (this thread is getting pretty thick!) but I recommend "Missouri Overlook" (GC593E) in Council Bluffs. It's a virtual but a great view and piece of history too.

Hope to see you at the Kansas City event as I have to be there (traveling in from Iowa) for some meetings on the 21st.

Have a great trip Saxman.

It was a lot of work, but fortunately there are a few threads explaining caches along a route.

I started with setting the route in Microsoft Streets and Trips:

March05Map.jpg

Then I figured out how many pocket queries I'd need to get enough caches in the area we're visiting:

MarchPQs.jpg

I set the pocket queries to run:

MarchCircles.jpg

(Denver and Colorado Springs run on their own PQ's, since I get them every week.)

Merged them together in GSAK:

MarchPQ.jpg

And finally filtered to within about 15 miles of my route:

MarchFiltered.jpg

This took about 2800 caches in 8 pocket queries down to about 1200 caches. Denver's caches were excluded form the route for simplicity, I can add them back in before we head through the area.

Finding caches with GPSaxaphone, Mudinyeri, Leprechauns and Nevap was a blast. I added some pics to logs as well. The cranes were also great.

Unfortunately, Sax and family missed the KC event because of car trouble. Then right after getting that fixed, they had the transmission partially go out on the way to Nebraska! They made it to Lincoln driving under 50 mph and stayed an extra day here with the truck in the shop, and now have to skip South Dakota. :ph34r:

But they did find the Nebraska cache and saw cranes. I hope we kept them entertained! :ph34r:

Oh, and they saw Sparky! That is sort of like crane sightings isn't it???? B)

Best wishes for the trip home Sax and family!

BTW, my car is now in the shop too! Maybe there is a Saxman car curse! :P<_<:ph34r:

It turns out that the mechanic can't find a problem with my car. Apparently something got stuck up in the wheel and made an awful noise, but got dislodged when the car was put on the tow truck.

In the meantime, I got an email from Sax. He found a bunch more caches, but also got a flat tire!

We made it home! No more problems after the flat tire, and I was able to post most of our finds from a Burger King in North Platte. Congratulations to Nebraska for being the site of our 500th cache find! (in case you didn't know, we're trying to hit each "00" cache in a different state)

I posted this to the Kansas City event page, I think it explains enough about the trip:

Sorry we weren't able to make the event. Our truck's timing belt tensioner gave out 50 miles away. We ended up staying in Wellsville, KS that night. I tried to call the pizza place, but the phone number on the event page only led to a modem.

We did find a few caches in the Kansas City area the next day, then headed north towards Lincoln, NE. It seems our bad luck hadn't finished, since our transmission lost 3rd gear just before leaving Missouri. We limped the truck to Lincoln anyway after meeting up with The Leprechauns at a cache in Iowa. We had to cancel our plans to cache in Minnesota and South Dakota while we waited for the truck to be repaired. This gave us an extra day in Nebraska and we made our 500th find there before returning home to Colorado.

If we could post a DNF on this event we would, but it seems that option is no longer available. Hope y'all had a good time anyway. Maybe we'll make an event in the future.

Glad to hear that you got home OK! It was great having you here! My dog acted lonely after you left. The vet has said that she should have another dog companion since she is needy and gets separation anxiety. I initially said "no way!" but am rethinking. Perhaps I will look for another adult dog at the pound, hoping to get one that is partially housebroken (Molly was when I got her at the pound). Anyway, the point is that Molly enjoyed your visit too and liked caching and hanging out in the dog run with Geody during the crane trip! :blink:

Edited by carleenp
Glad to hear that you got home OK! It was great having you here! My dog acted lonely after you left. The vet has said that she should have another dog companion since she is needy and gets separation anxiety. I initially said "no way!" but am rethinking. Perhaps I will look for another adult dog at the pound, hoping to get one that is partially housebroken (Molly was when I got her at the pound). Anyway, the point is that Molly enjoyed your visit too and liked caching and hanging out in the dog run with Geody during the crane trip! :rolleyes:

Yup...Geody's just moping around the house now too. She seems bored. Guess I'd better go caching today so she gets to do something.