Cache Container Test Results

Yerocrg

The "24" test

Two days ago I went to the local MotoPhoto, asked if I could have some film canisters, and five minutes later, I walked out with a bag of 180 film canisters. Then I realized that I didn't know which styles are more waterproof. So I decided to test them. I weighed down the following containers with coins and immersed them in cold water for 24 hours:

(I didn't bother testing an ammo can, since everybody knows there are waterproof when sealed properly :unsure: )

Plastic Almond Container (Yeah, I knew this would not be waterproof, but I wanted to provide the new cachers with conclusive proof that Gladware is not waterproof.) :lol:

Altoids Tin

Cookie Cutter Tin

Kodak Advantix film canister (They are the ones that look flattened)

White film canister/Grey Lid

White film canister/White Lid

Black film canister/Grey Lid

Black film canister/Black Lid

Canning Jar

On the film canisters, all lids fit on the outside of the film can except for the white-ish translucent film can, that lid fits inside the can

After 24 hours, I drained the sink, completely dried off the outside of the containers, opened the containers, and noted the amount of water in each. The results are as follows:

Plastic Almond Container (A large amount of water) Advice for using this container: Don't

Altoids Tin (A small amount of water and tiny amount of rust) Advice for using this container: Don't hide one of these anywhere where it may be immersed in water

Cookie Cutter Tin (A small amount of water and a small amount of rust) Advice for using this container: Don't leave it anywhere where it will be sitting in water. If possible, put it in a Ziplock bag.

Kodak Advantix film canister ( B) No water :lol: ) Advice for using this container: These film canisters seem to be one of the best for micros.

White film canister/Grey Lid (Damp, small droplets) Advice for using this container: Don't hide one of these anywhere where it may be immersed in water

White film canister/White Lid ( :huh: Dry :huh: ) Advice for using this container: These film canisters seem to be one of the best for micros

Black film canister/Grey Lid (Small droplets) Advice for using this container:

Don't hide one of these anywhere where it may be immersed in water

Black film canister/Black Lid (Small droplets) Advice for using this container: Don't hide one of these anywhere where it may be immersed in water

Canning Jar ( B) Bone dry B) )Advice for using this container: They seem to be by far the best for a small hydrocache :) Now if only we could get a plastic canning jar :lol:

I hope these results are helpful when you are selectiong a cache container <_<

NOTE: These tests do not take into consideration user error, such as leaving the lid off :DB):D

Yerocrg

Edited by Yerocrg

By white film can do you mean the white-ish translucent film can?

Thanks for the experiment!

But as you mentioned, even the mighty ammo box can be compromised by carelessly closing it. One of our caches we found with the chain from a TB hanging out of it! We're glad it didn't harm the TB, but the gasket was compromised. The location is not likely to get wet much less threaten to soak the cache so we left it in the same box.

One issue, could you say which style of lid for each film can? Some go in the can and some go on the outside.

Thanks!

That's very interesting.

I've found a number of damp microcache logs in black film cannisters and attributed it to people not closing the lid securely. Now I wonder....

~erik~

I find that newer film canisters, the Kodak ones (black with grey lid) don't seal very well.

Then I found a stash of old film Kodak canisters dating from 10-15 years ago. The seal is extremely tight on them.

I had one of the old ones attached to a guardrail, exposed to rain and it also spent a few months under a snow bank and it stayed bone dry. Another cache using newer canisters leaked constantly.

The "24" test

Altoids Tin (A small amount of water) Advice for using this container: Don't hide one of these anywhere where it may be immersed in water

Cookie Cutter Tin (A small amount of water) Advice for using this container: Don't leave it anywhere where it will be sitting in water. If possible, put it in a Ziplock bag.

The problem with Altoids and other tins is that they are tins. They rust, and bleed rust all over the log paper. Plastic is usually a better idea. Bison tubes are better still. And crack vials are the smallest of all, and don't leak. And, no, I don't use them for crack or anything else, but have seen them used as cache containers.

Advice for using this container: Don't hide one of these anywhere where it may be immersed in water

I'll point out the obvious and say don't leave ANY cache where it's going to get immersed in water.

As for the crack vial: nah, too easy. :rolleyes:

Good post - I'm sure it will help those who see it.

Now, I'm personally not big on micros, and if I were to hide one I would use something better than a film can*, because they will all leak eventually. That said, is there a way to improve the seal on one? I was thinking if you applied some 'Shoe Goo' or something similar to the lid in the right way, would that help keep the water out?

*e.g. waterproof match container, Bison Capsule or the Groundspeak Micro Cache Capsule.

I've gotten pretty limited in what I use, bison tube, and ocassionally in a camoed urban hide its inner liner. Matchsafe. Decon container, and ammo can

66c46168-d25a-453d-8e26-f5e30cc9fc7d.jpg

The stainless bison-type tube from

IMS surplus $1, to the left of it in the picture its inner liner. The orange matchsafe $0.86 from walmart, next to it a small homemade camo bag for hanging and a DeCon container from my local army surplus (PJ's) $1. Ammo cans $4, or $6 same source. For 86 cents, why mess with film cans, or M&M containers? I have seen the matchsafe at the army surplus in OD green for $2.50. I had 4 matchsafe hides out along rivers that extreme high water after the 4 hurricane summer. One was gone, the other three all in water for months were dry when recovered.

Edited by Isonzo Karst
Advice for using this container: Don't hide one of these anywhere where it may be immersed in water

I'll point out the obvious and say don't leave ANY cache where it's going to get immersed in water.

Why not? What's wrong with a submerged cache? IIRC, there's some that you can only get to with SCUBA / Snorkeling gear, as they are underwater. I've got a location near me which would be perfect for a submerged cache... I've decided against it, because all the good submerging areas are pretty well trafficed, but I did scout them out, and seriously consider a submerged cache.

Why not? What's wrong with a submerged cache? IIRC, there's some that you can only get to with SCUBA / Snorkeling gear, as they are underwater. I've got a location near me which would be perfect for a submerged cache... I've decided against it, because all the good submerging areas are pretty well trafficed, but I did scout them out, and seriously consider a submerged cache.

There is nothing wrong with submerged caches. He was only saying that you shouldn't use film canisters for submerged caches.

Here is the matchstick holder from Army Surplus, about $3.00

1signature2zl.jpg

They're about half that price at Walmart. Only problem is that they're orange, but a little camo tape takes cre of that.

was thinking if you applied some 'Shoe Goo' or something similar to the lid in the right way, would that help keep the water out?

Might keep cachers out too :huh: .

Edited by briansnat

I use containers that Safeway brand Trail Mix comes in, they seem to work well. I prefer ammo cans but sometimes it tough hiding them because of their size.

I found a cache in September that was hidden in Pringles potato chip container. Not the tall ones but the short kind you'd find in a convenience store. Its had to have been snowed upon this season but apparently its in good condition. Its also a Where's George cache, only full of dollars. Hopefully it will last.....

has anyone tried out racquetball containers, the kind with the screw-on lids?

Yes, there is a cacher around here who has hidden both the racquetball and tennisball containers. They work very well. That O-ring and the course threads really seal it up tight. They are not cheap, though.

Yes, there is a cacher around here who has hidden both the racquetball and tennisball containers. They work very well. That O-ring and the course threads really seal it up tight. They are not cheap, though.

they are when I play everyday at lunch

thanks for the info; I will save them for hiding some caches

The transluscent 'white' ones are put out by Fuji, but some cheaper, no-name brands are very similar looking. You can tell the difference because the Fuji ones have a nice solid 'snap' when you put the lid in. (I say 'in' because they are the ones that fit inside.

That may be a reason the Kodak ones (black can, gray lid) are more popular; since the lid goes ON instead of IN, there is slightly more room inside them.

The people in the one-hour photo places usually know which ones are which.

If you're unsure, it is quite easy to test them yourself, whichever ones you may have on hand.

I wasn't talking about these:

934_tn.jpg

This is what I meant:

RBS.jpg

These run about $10, but are very durable and waterproof.

Here is the matchstick holder from Army Surplus, about $3.00

1signature2zl.jpg

They're about half that price at Walmart. Only problem is that they're orange, but a little camo tape takes cre of that.

The Wal-Mart match safe is one of the preferred micro containers down here.

They are 86 cents (plus tax) - or at least they have been for the past 2 years. I haven't checked in the past month or so.

We all paint them. I've used various kinds of paint - all with good results. I've rarely seen a painted one fade - it seems the paint fuses with the plastic.

sd

Altoids Tin (A small amount of water and tiny amount of rust) Advice for using this container: Don't hide one of these anywhere where it may be immersed in water

Which kind of altoids tin are you talking about? I know of at least 4 kinds.

The regular altoids mints. (rectangular)

Altoids breath strips (very flat and rectangular - small containers)

Altoids sours (round)

Another Altoids - perhaps gum - that's shaped like a pack of gum.

I think there may be more.

I've used the round one with pretty decent success. I paint them with rust resistant primer and put the logsheet in a "ziploc" bag just in case.

southdeltan

I've used them with good success. The cheap ones. Not the ones Stunod was talking about. Actually I have to admit looking back I would not of expected them to work out as well as they did. I still have a couple. Bigger than a decon but not really big.

B) This test wasretty well thought out and the results were clear and concise. Only one problem i could find, its the largest variable... WEATHER!!! It doesn't matter which film can you use, weater conditions are going to affect the film can. In cold weather the cans will shrink a bit and become brittle. In warme weather they expand and are more pliable. Now add moisture into the equation and things get real interesting. If the canister is in a spot that gets moisture, not talking rain here either, just dew, add in winter temperatures and I guarantee you old Mother nature will get in. Water when it freezes expands, the plastic shrinks, plus moisture is very determined.. ever seen the Grand Canyon? I say film canisters are no competition for Mom Nature.

As for the Altoid tins, they rust, fast in a climate like Delaware has.. Also moisture will find its way in under freezing and thawing conditions.

So, what to do? Give up on Micros? No. Just find something better than film cans and Altiod tins.

Which kind of altoids tin are you talking about? I know of at least 4 kinds.

The regular altoids mints. (rectangular)

Altoids breath strips (very flat and rectangular - small containers)

Altoids sours (round)

Another Altoids - perhaps gum - that's shaped like a pack of gum.

I think there may be more.

I've used the round one with pretty decent success. I paint them with rust resistant primer and put the logsheet in a "ziploc" bag just in case.

southdeltan

I tested the round type of Altoids tins.

Yerocrg

Anybody have any experience with those mini-M&M containers? I've got a micro made out of one which so far seems to be holding up well. Its exposed, but not on the ground. It is somewhat exposed to snow/rain/ice, however. I'm wondering how it will do in the long run.

THey get very wet, very fast.

Follow-up on the mini-M&M container: I just checked this cache and it is (so far) completely dry inside. We've had lots of precipitation this winter around here, so I'm feeling fortunate about the condition of the cache (its placement doesn't allow any pooling of moisture on or near the container, but the snap-lid is exposed directly to the rain and snow).

I'm taking Briansnat's remark to heart, though. I think perhaps so far I've been lucky. I'll probably swap it out for a waterproof match container at some point.

I've got two of these at my house from my tennis playing days. I always thought they'd make great cache containers. I mean if they are airtight to the point they can contain like 12lbs of air pressure then they sure keep water out. They're even positively pressurized. I think I'm going to go dig them out and give them a coat of camo....

I wasn't talking about these:

934_tn.jpg

This is what I meant:

RBS.jpg

These run about $10, but are very durable and waterproof.

The tennis ball savers are bigger since they are made to hold 3 balls rather than two...those are the type I have at home. I can't wait to hide them!

Now if only we could get a plastic canning jar

Try saving food containers. Mayo jar, peanut butter...etc..

My Guess is that they would have to be put throught the dishwasher a couple of times. FWIW :rolleyes:

The pundits will soon be here to point out that used food containers should never be used for caches since animals are attracked to them. If they work for you I say go for it. Just be prepared to replace the cache if it gets mauled.

BTW: dishwasher then soak in a solution of bleach overnight.

To add a little about some posts here

I've been using tennis ball cans that I picked up around the courts, and they seem to work fine. Only one has gotten wet inside, and it also had mud in it so I don't think it was from a regular leak.

In our area (SF Bay Area) there are a lot of "Longs Drugs" stores, and they are always running specials with fuji film (also their processor) so that would be a good place to get the white (translucent) ones which have the inside snap lid.

Another advantage to the APS style (Advanced Photo System) (Kodak brand calls theirs "Advantix") they are oval shaped and allow slightly larger trade items, but the lid fits inside so your log sheet must be a tiny bit narrower.

Thanks for sharing your results!