Indoor Benchmarks

seventhings

Here is one Greg Rotz and I found inside a garage.

THE STATION SUB-SURFACE DISK IS STAMPED WINTERSTOWN 2 1934, IT IS SET IN THE TOP OF A SMALL MASS OF CONCRETE ABOUT 2 FEET BELOW THE CONCRETE FLOOR OF THE GARAGE. THE UPPER POINT IS MARKED BY A 3/8 INCH SPIKE SET IN A SMALL HOLE IN THE CONCRETE FLOOR OF THE GARAGE.

JV6075

Congratulations on the indoor marks. :D

Here are 4 marks that are in a tunnel that leads to the base of the Glen Canyon Dam. Unfortunately it is off limits now.

GP0111

GP0112

GP0113

GP0114

The next 2 are inside the dam!

GP0120

GP0121

I have a friend who is a security person at the dam and even they can not "recover" these marks. If they deviate from their rounds, then the higher ranking personnel start asking questions. :rolleyes:

Fixed a link. John

Edited by 2oldfarts (the rockhounders)

Indoor marks? I reckon these get reported as "not suitable for GPS", eh?

-Paul-

For Will: Great photos from Florida, today. The offer for coffee (or RC Cola and Moon Pie) still stands--provided Mrs. SevenThings can tolerate one more diversion by your hobby as you pass through North Carolina. :huh:

Here's an indoor benchmark I didn't quite find some time back. V 223 (HV3945) (NGS datasheet) was originally monumented on the exterior of the Southern Railway station in Warrenton, Virginia. ("8.9 FEET NORTHEAST OF THE NORTHEAST EDGE OF THE DOOR OF THE WHITE WAITING ROOM," as a matter of fact, and also as a reminder the sometimes awful past that we visit in some of these old marks.)

Passenger service stopped, and the former depot is now a restaurant called "The Depot." The building was expanded, and the one-time exterior wall where the bench mark disk was placed is now inside the building.

Unfortunately, at the time of my visit, the restaurant was not open, and I was not able to confirm that the disk is still there.

-ArtMan-